Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

713 posts in this topic

I watched his Combine workout lots of opinions ran back to back to back 4.40... 40's, vertical was plus 40 inches,  all above  average measurables. Is he a workout warrior...aka Mike Mamula, hahaha This kid played CB his first 2 years then was moved to Safety, loose hips, demonstrated ability to play with his back to the QB. Physical enough to get to the QB. Described as a freakish athlete... The type of talent I want on this team.  I think this kid could become a dominant player in the right scheme.

Concerning slot corner I always reference back to the invention of this position....maybe I should say reinvention by Tampa Bay. They had Ronde Barber studying with the LBers coach to play Nickel. They ******(got)us with that as many of you will remember. And Chris Harris with the Broncos talked about how he had to get his hands on the slot receiver in coverage. He lost if he didn't disrupt that timing. And how the whole route tree is available in the slot unlike outside. That he had to hedge his coverage to one side(inside or outside) being always ready to jump on the weakside of coverage. The combination of skills it takes to be elite in the slot makes me think of the possibilities of a draftee like Peppers. He looks ideal to play this jack-of-all trades player. Obi Melonfonwu looks to also be uniquely skilled to master such a difficult task.

4 people like this

I like that DE Kpassagnon.It's tough to tell where he goes to put him in my mock.Some say a 4th(IMO that would be a steal) or as high as 2.Seems noone can assess his future ability.IMO kids gonna be a beast someday

INDIANAPOLIS -- As Villanova defensive end Tanoh Kpassagnon is finding out this week at the NFL scouting combine, NFL coaches and scouts tend to be suspicious of intelligent players.

Kpassagnon is very, very smart. He already has graduated from ‘Nova with degrees in accounting and finance. His mom is a chemical scientist and his dad is an economist.

So naturally, NFL teams are wondering how much a smart guy like Kpassagnon really, really loves football.

There you have it GBFL, Now people question your desire to play football if you are "smart". LOL I myself, always look scholastically at players. I would rather have guys that are smart enough to learn my system quickly than players that turn into bench riders for 3 years before they can get on the field.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, stine said:

Ross is fast, but he is also small. We have Smith, who is also fast so I feel that would be a waste to draft him. If they do go WR in the first I choose Davis. If not, CB or a stud that falls to us at 14. Thinking here is most likely we get a CB round 1 and DE round 2. After that I do not care.... Just find me good players....

I can't say it would be a waste to draft Ross, Smith is already 28 no clue how he will play or how much longer his speed will last.... Ross biggest issue is the injury history outside of that he is an interesting talent he is a speedster but he is also a pretty damn good route runner as well which don't normally see guys like him normally only want to win with pure speed alone(ie Djax).....As for the first round my feelings are that we should go DL think that will have the best value at 14 JMO 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, stine said:
  3 hours ago, trini said:

I didn't think MJ was that great of a corner, he had the speed to play outside... coming out of college seems to me when we plaid against Malcom the CB, he was the guy our QB picked on. I would like to see Mcieod and Jenkins a second year together in this D and year. I'am hoping he's got at least 2 yr's left, unless we trade him... You how Howie rolls. If it helps the Eagles he'll make the deal. 

Absolutely NO! Jenkins strength is to play safety. He is the QB of the defense and can force mistakes by opposing QB's with his play. He is wasted as a slot CB and we lost so much when he had to do it. Much rather have anyone else play CB than him. That is not only my opinion but also of many more....

So if the Eagles are interested in drafting S Obi Melifonwu in the second round it would be to backup our starting safeties then? The author of the article insinuated that Melifonwu would be the new starter at safety and Jenkins would move back to outside corner. Thanks for the opinions.

Your welcome.... No way Eagles want Jenkins at CB. Just not the answer. Obi does not compare to him as a safety. He would be better suited as a CB, then used as a B/U safety.

2 people like this

Hey, GBinFl been talking about Kapssagnon since the off-season began the only Presumed Knock on Kap is he committed to football.  I am buy in on Kap in the 3rd /4th.

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I like that DE Kpassagnon.It's tough to tell where he goes to put him in my mock.Some say a 4th(IMO that would be a steal) or as high as 2.Seems noone can assess his future ability.IMO kids gonna be a beast someday

INDIANAPOLIS -- As Villanova defensive end Tanoh Kpassagnon is finding out this week at the NFL scouting combine, NFL coaches and scouts tend to be suspicious of intelligent players.

Kpassagnon is very, very smart. He already has graduated from ‘Nova with degrees in accounting and finance. His mom is a chemical scientist and his dad is an economist.

So naturally, NFL teams are wondering how much a smart guy like Kpassagnon really, really loves football.

There you have it GBFL, Now people question your desire to play football if you are "smart". LOL I myself, always look scholastically at players. I would rather have guys that are smart enough to learn my system quickly than players that turn into bench riders for 3 years before they can get on the field.

LOL that is funny!

1 person likes this

Concerning slot corner I always reference back to the invention of this position....maybe I should say reinvention by Tampa Bay. They had Ronde Barber studying with the LBers coach to play Nickel. They ******(got)us with that as many of you will remember. And Chris Harris with the Broncos talked about how he had to get his hands on the slot receiver in coverage. He lost if he didn't disrupt that timing. And how the whole route tree is available in the slot unlike outside. That he had to hedge his coverage to one side(inside or outside) being always ready to jump on the weakside of coverage. The combination of skills it takes to be elite in the slot makes me think of the possibilities of a draftee like Peppers. He looks ideal to play this jack-of-all trades player. Obi Melonfonwu looks to also be uniquely skilled to master such a difficult task.

I do not think Peppers makes it to us at 14. Another difference maker IMO... A stud....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Your welcome.... No way Eagles want Jenkins at CB. Just not the answer. Obi does not compare to him as a safety. He would be better suited as a CB, then used as a B/U safety.

We like to move Jenkins down to play CB so having a strong 3rd S makes sense.... honestly would rather just get us a good slot CB(I like Mills in the slot) and leave Jenkins alone let him play S but not my call..... If the plan is to continue to move Jenkins down though we need a better 3rd S then Watkins 

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The combination of skills it takes to be elite in the slot makes me think of the possibilities of a draftee like Peppers

Poor guy has been compared to Charles Woodson big shoes to be compared to.....But skill set wise he could be a similar type player..... I am just not sold on Schwartz being creative enough to use a player like Peppers though 

2 people like this

The real question I would have is if the plan with Peppers was slot CB would we play him on the outside as well and move him inside on nickle/dime packages????? 14 is bit high to draft a solely slot CB 

47 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:
  3 hours ago, trini said:

I didn't think MJ was that great of a corner, he had the speed to play outside... coming out of college seems to me when we plaid against Malcom the CB, he was the guy our QB picked on. I would like to see Mcieod and Jenkins a second year together in this D and year. I'am hoping he's got at least 2 yr's left, unless we trade him... You how Howie rolls. If it helps the Eagles he'll make the deal. 

Absolutely NO! Jenkins strength is to play safety. He is the QB of the defense and can force mistakes by opposing QB's with his play. He is wasted as a slot CB and we lost so much when he had to do it. Much rather have anyone else play CB than him. That is not only my opinion but also of many more....

So if the Eagles are interested in drafting S Obi Melifonwu in the second round it would be to backup our starting safeties then? The author of the article insinuated that Melifonwu would be the new starter at safety and Jenkins would move back to outside corner. Thanks for the opinions.

The same article I was reading stated that the Eagles viewed Obi as a safety at the next level. For whats its worth. JMO but I am not taking a guy in the second round to be a backup. I guess it all depends on where he goes in the draft but the so called experts now say he will go in the second round. I want my second round pick to be on the field this year no matter what position he plays.

1 person likes this

If I had the responsibility for drafting multiple CB's, in this draft I am using last years Green Bay game as my template for what skill set I need in my choices. As long as Aaron Rogers is still playing, the Eagles have to beat Green Bay to get to the Super Bowl. Rogers lit up our secondary last year by getting rid of the ball sometimes in two seconds. I have to have CB's that can consistently jam at the line of scrimmage. Nothing else will do for me.

A pass rush would have helped too lol

1 person likes this

Ross is fast, but he is also small. We have Smith, who is also fast so I feel that would be a waste to draft him. If they do go WR in the first I choose Davis. If not, CB or a stud that falls to us at 14. Thinking here is most likely we get a CB round 1 and DE round 2. After that I do not care.... Just find me good players....

He kinda reminds me of the Browns WR Corey Coleman and that hasn't worked out so well

As far as CB's go Obi Melfornwu is a player I want as a DB on this team. Speed, Hops, Size, playmaker. In our scheme he could compete with the size and physicality of these 06' 06" / 06' 07 WR that are becoming almost commonplace. In our Conference. Brandon Marshall, Dez, Pryor. These guys win in the horizontal game, Melfornwu would give us the ability to better matchup with these monsters.

Dunno nuttin about him,guess I need to check him out

I watched his Combine workout lots of opinions ran back to back to back 4.40... 40's, vertical was plus 40 inches,  all above  average measurables. Is he a workout warrior...aka Mike Mamula, hahaha This kid played CB his first 2 years then was moved to Safety, loose hips, demonstrated ability to play with his back to the QB. Physical enough to get to the QB. Described as a freakish athlete... The type of talent I want on this team.  I think this kid could become a dominant player in the right scheme.

Then why haven't we had him in???

Not excited about Peppers cause he's SO versatile,can he succeed/exceed expectations playing ONE spot? I dunno if he's a scheme fit

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I guess whomever stated this is OLD like me,back when football was a sport you got into because you were big and dumb.This person needs to rocket into THIS century lol.Most players now are farily intelligent.This statement is really over the top descrimatory.maybe he's smart and has an innner voice telling him to take someones head off lol

1 person likes this

Well it's official I have seen my dream mock draft lol Marshon Lattimore fell to us in the 1st then Malik McDowell dropped to us in the 2nd we drafted Sidney Jones in the 3rd Brian Hill and Steven Taylor in the 4th

Hey, GBinFl been talking about Kapssagnon since the off-season began the only Presumed Knock on Kap is he committed to football.  I am buy in on Kap in the 3rd /4th.

Freak mentioned him really early so I started looking into him.I really like this guy,but the question is WHERE on our board is he? Round 2? 3? 4? noone can lock anything down lol

1 person likes this

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The combination of skills it takes to be elite in the slot makes me think of the possibilities of a draftee like Peppers

Poor guy has been compared to Charles Woodson big shoes to be compared to.....But skill set wise he could be a similar type player..... I am just not sold on Schwartz being creative enough to use a player like Peppers though 

Agreed(a MIRACLE!!! lol)

27 minutes ago, stine said:
  1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
  3 hours ago, stine said:
  4 hours ago, trini said:

The same article I was reading stated that the Eagles viewed Obi as a safety at the next level. For whats its worth. JMO but I am not taking a guy in the second round to be a backup. I guess it all depends on where he goes in the draft but the so called experts now say he will go in the second round. I want my second round pick to be on the field this year no matter what position he plays.

Well then I guess you can scratch off Davis and Williams,cause JMat is fine in the slot.My feeling on those guys is they would have to sit/learn a year then we can choose to keep or lose Alshon/Smith.I would still give them some snaps in relief of those guys cause you are NOT gonna sit Alshon and Smith

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well then I guess you can scratch off Davis and Williams,cause JMat is fine in the slot.My feeling on those guys is they would have to sit/learn a year then we can choose to keep or lose Alshon/Smith.I would still give them some snaps in relief of those guys cause you are NOT gonna sit Alshon and Smith

I would sit Smith for Davis

Just now, downwithdallas said:

I would sit Smith for Davis

Actually I would put Smith in the slot