paco

Romo Retires - Joining CBS to replace Phil Simms

101 posts in this topic

Link

No surprise, he already started doing superbowl commercials.

maxresdefault.jpg

5 people like this

Figured he was since the NFL facebook page kept posting things about him

No surprise to me. I heard this rumor for weeks.

I wonder if he'll be willing to step out of the broadcast booth mid-season if there's a QB injury... Obvious Romo is not good for 16 games anymore. But I guess he could play a short season in an emergency.

Probably a smart move for him, given his injury history ... but I was really hoping he'd go somewhere else & win, sticking it to the Cowboys along the way.

1 person likes this

Great career. Good guy on and off the field. 

2 people like this

21b.jpg

1 person likes this

I appreciated Romo's ten year career by far more than Aikman's, rings or no rings. He gave it all, unselfishly, a great team player and never, ever spoke poorly of anyone, friend or foe. It was a treat to watch him play. He was loyal, and NO he doesn't really want to play for anyone but the Cowboys; he said he is available if anything happened to Prescott. It is a heck of a story and he walks away (or should) with the respect of his peers, and that is all that matters in the end. I see him as a great announcer in the immediate future and maybe as a coach eventually. He has a great life now, and can't think of anyone that deserves it more. /salute

3 people like this

Good luck to him.  Has there been a QB who has gotten more eviscerated by the media and fans in his career?  While some of it was warranted, I think most peoples views of him are in a positive light.

Genuinely good guy. Best of luck to him.

guy was a warrior 

1 person likes this

Going to CBS to replace Phil Simms

1 person likes this

Bummer. Even as a Cowboys fan, if he went to Houston or Denver and won a SB against any other NFC team not named the Cowboys and stuck it to them, I'd be happy. Jerry should've started building the team he did in 2014, 10 years ago. Marion Barber's big contract, bad draft picks, letting Ware go, trading for Roy Bum Williams. Oh yea drafting Barbie Carpenter...some bad moves with Romo. Romo has to take fault too, but I believe he did the best he could. Had some terrible luck too.

I can only guess he didn't receive any offers that stood out to him and rather than risk a serious injury that could affect the rest of his life he's decided to hang the cleats up.

Seems like a logical decision to me. 

11 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

Bummer. Even as a Cowboys fan, if he went to Houston or Denver and won a SB against any other NFC team not named the Cowboys and stuck it to them, I'd be happy. Jerry should've started building the team he did in 2014, 10 years ago. Marion Barber's big contract, bad draft picks, letting Ware go, trading for Roy Bum Williams. Oh yea drafting Barbie Carpenter...some bad moves with Romo. Romo has to take fault too, but I believe he did the best he could. Had some terrible luck too.

There were mistakes, but Romo also had some pretty good teams around him. 

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, paco said:

Going to CBS to replace Phil Simms

Nice. Simms is horrendous so perhaps this move will make the CBS nationally televised games watchable. There's no way Romo can be anywhere nearly as awful as Simms.

1 person likes this

Read a great article on ESPN actually. For being undrafted, Romo was an overachiever. Expectations were high because of guys like Warner and Brady that basically have a similar story, but were actually winning Super Bowls. Romo was compared to those guys and paled somewhat because lack of big, playoff wins and championships. Kinda sucks, but that's the way it was. Doesn't change the fact that Romo was one of the better UFA to play QB and now days, it's pretty darn rare to find a gem QB late in the draft or undrafted.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Nice. Simms is horrendous so perhaps this move will make the CBS nationally televised games watchable. There's no way Romo can be anywhere nearly as awful as Simms.

One thing that I find embarrassing was that the first couple of years Simms was broadcasting, I actually thought he was good. But I soon came around to realize how truly awful he is. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ckudrick said:

Probably a smart move for him, given his injury history ... but I was really hoping he'd go somewhere else & win, sticking it to the Cowboys along the way.

as long as he wasn't in the NFC I'd have no problem with Romo going someplace and winning...I'd actually love it. As much as he had to carry crappy Dallas teams, he'd be due. I was hoping he'd go to Denver or the Texans and get a ring.

10 minutes ago, cowboy30 said:

Read a great article on ESPN actually. For being undrafted, Romo was an overachiever. Expectations were high because of guys like Warner and Brady that basically have a similar story, but were actually winning Super Bowls. Romo was compared to those guys and paled somewhat because lack of big, playoff wins and championships. Kinda sucks, but that's the way it was. Doesn't change the fact that Romo was one of the better UFA to play QB and now days, it's pretty darn rare to find a gem QB late in the draft or undrafted.

That's what always got me...you have guys like Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer...Phillip Rivers....high picks...top 5-10 guys who have not won squat and you never hear anything about them not winning in the playoffs Romo goes undrafted and gets killed for never winning anything and every mistake he makes leads sports center.

It's not that expectations were high because he was drafted late/undrafted, logically that doesn't make sense...then every QB taken later would be under that scrutiny. It's that he was a Dallas Cowboy plain and simple...had he played in Detroit, Cincy...almost anywhere else and it would not matter.

That's why when people say it's hard to play in philly or NY i laugh. Aikman won 3 rings and got booed out of texas stadium his last couple years and the national media spotlight is much brighter in Dallas. It's cool when you are winning, but twice as bad when you lose

3 people like this

Why would CBS want to replace Simms with Gomer? I'm not a Phil Simms fan, but he's at least tolerable, unlike Gruden for ESPN. I can allow the volume to be on for Simms. With Gruden, it has to be muted the entire game.

Unless they keep Simms under contract and just demote him, I could envision him moving to Fox. If it's to be Fox, do they have him calling games or in the studio, replacing Stragap?

Simms-Bradshaw could be a good mix, ala Laurel and Hardy. Stragap just doesn't really add much to the mix.

CBS will have decent ratings leading up to December, then just tank.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, Stephen1 said:

That's what always got me...you have guys like Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer...Phillip Rivers....high picks...top 5-10 guys who have not won squat and you never hear anything about them not winning in the playoffs Romo goes undrafted and gets killed for never winning anything and every mistake he makes leads sports center.

It's not that expectations were high because he was drafted late/undrafted, logically that doesn't make sense...then every QB taken later would be under that scrutiny. It's that he was a Dallas Cowboy plain and simple...had he played in Detroit, Cincy...almost anywhere else and it would not matter.

That's why when people say it's hard to play in philly or NY i laugh. Aikman won 3 rings and got booed out of texas stadium his last couple years and the national media spotlight is much brighter in Dallas. It's cool when you are winning, but twice as bad when you lose

Danny White comes to mind. That guy was a fantastic QB but because he followed Staubach and failed to win a SB (he probably would have if not for "The Catch") he's considered to be almost an embarrassment. If that guy had played for the St Louis Cardinals there would be a statue in his honor outside of Busch stadium.

As you said there are different standards. But to be fair though one must also acknowledge that while the Cowboy QB chair gets a lot of arrows slung at the occupant, the positions high profile also serves as a nice post career launching pad. For as much grief as Romo got for being a "failed" Cowboy QB, Alex Smith doesn't have a chance in holy he!! of waltzing into a lead network position from his perch in Kansas City.

1 person likes this

I think he'll be really good at this. But wow, shooting right to the #1 analyst spot? Not sure how well that's going to go over inside the business.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, KOJO said:

I think he'll be really good at this. But wow, shooting right to the #1 analyst spot? Not sure how well that's going to go over inside the business.

Yea, that is mind boggling.....in fact he turned down an offer from FOX because he didn't want to be #2 behind Aikman knowing Troy will be around for a long time yet and he didn't want to do a Thursday nigh AND Sunday game in the same week.

Two good things about this.

First, Romo isn't in a wheelchair.  He might have been if he played any longer.  The guy's back seems like it's made of styrofoam at this point, so it's good to see him getting out before he's truly damaged.

Second, Dallas gets NOTHING.  No trade compensation.  No compensatory pick.  NOTHING.

3 people like this