paco

Romo Retires - Joining CBS to replace Phil Simms

101 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Hey Suess said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b770120a9cd512443b1fe55be64eb89b.jpeg

TL;DR = "Thanks for the one playoff win in 14 years."

Hey hey, 2 playoff wins, one against your Eagles...don't short us now.

7 hours ago, cowboy30 said:

That one doesn't count.

1 person likes this

On 4/7/2017 at 10:50 AM, paco said:

One more thing on Joe.... I met him on a flight a few years back.  My opinion of him was always low due to my fathers previous experience with him.  Lets just say he was a bit self absorbed.

Anyway he was seated directly behind me.  Two things struck me:

1) He saw a woman struggling with her luggage and he immediately got up and helped her get it in the overhead

2) The person seated next to him was a ND fan.  Wouldn't stop talking his ear off.  Joe the entire time was gracious.  Normally not a big deal but this was a red eye from SF to DC and most people sleep on the flight

I will say this he strikes me as a gentleman. So my opinion of him has softened

Thiesmann was the worst announcer there was but eventually grew into a pretty darn good one.  It took Phil Simms FOREVER to be a good commentator and now that he's finally got it down...he's gone.

I don't think Romo will be good at this, and we don't need more former Cowboys on TV unless it's a prison rehab reality show.

How many years did it take to get used to Phil Simms?  Now I have to listen to a QB who has done nothing with his career take over the #1 color commentator spot with Jim Nantz?   Has CBS lost their minds?  At least Phil Simms won a SB.  I'm making this prediction now, Tony Romo will be replaced before the end of the 2017 NFL season on CBS.   Seriously, if CBS thinks Tony Romo was qualified for joining the #1 NFL team on CBS, why not try him with the Masters?  Do you know why, because Jim Nantz would've left the broadcast booth.  This is going to be unbearable. 

I miss Pat Summerall, as does Jim Nantz. 

11 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Thiesmann was the worst announcer there was but eventually grew into a pretty darn good one.  It took Phil Simms FOREVER to be a good commentator and now that he's finally got it down...he's gone.

Agree to disagree.  IMO, Joe went from bad to tolerable, but was never good.  Phil I feel actually got worse and has been mailing it in for some time.  

The majority of announcers are terrible, at best mediocre.  The play by play guys are usually a bunch of dorks who never played sports and are trying this phony "announcer voice" and trying too hard.  The color announcers are trying to hard to be a personality instead of actually providing insight.

Troy Aikman is actually IMO the best color announcer.  He doesn't try to put on a show, he gives actual insight and explains things and stays objective.  Unfortunately, he's with arguably the worst play by play.  Joe Buck is just awful.  

Mike Tirico is probably the best play by play, for same reasons as Aikman above. He's not trying to be someone he's not, he's just calling the game like a professional.  But he's got Gru-dog the cheerleader as his color guy.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, paco said:

Phil I feel actually got worse and has been mailing it in for some time.  

Yup.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:56 PM, cowboy30 said:

He signed it, "Your Tight End"   Not after 14 years, he's not. 

1 person likes this

On 4/11/2017 at 1:49 AM, Iggles said:

How many years did it take to get used to Phil Simms?  Now I have to listen to a QB who has done nothing with his career take over the #1 color commentator spot with Jim Nantz?   Has CBS lost their minds?  At least Phil Simms won a SB.  I'm making this prediction now, Tony Romo will be replaced before the end of the 2017 NFL season on CBS.   Seriously, if CBS thinks Tony Romo was qualified for joining the #1 NFL team on CBS, why not try him with the Masters?  Do you know why, because Jim Nantz would've left the broadcast booth.  This is going to be unbearable. 

I miss Pat Summerall, as does Jim Nantz. 

i have no idea how good Romo will or won't be. Me personally, I'd have started him on the number 2 or 3 team at best, let him learn for a season or two, then fast track him. That said, Romo and Nantz are practically butt buddies. Nantz is the golden child at CBS and not only would they not have done this without his blessing, Nantz was the one pushing for it.

1 hour ago, Stephen1 said:

i have no idea how good Romo will or won't be. Me personally, I'd have started him on the number 2 or 3 team at best, let him learn for a season or two, then fast track him. That said, Romo and Nantz are practically butt buddies. Nantz is the golden child at CBS and not only would they not have done this without his blessing, Nantz was the one pushing for it.

That's only cause Phil Simms farted in the booth & suffocated him.

1 person likes this

On 4/4/2017 at 9:46 AM, toolg said:

No surprise to me.

It is a surprise to me, Romo is a horrible speaker, he's going to be a joke of a commentator.

How in the hell CBS can replace Phil Simms, who was excellent, with a stop and go sentence speaker is beyond me.   

17 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

It is a surprise to me, Romo is a horrible speaker, he's going to be a joke of a commentator.

How in the hell CBS can replace Phil Simms, who was excellent, with a stop and go sentence speaker is beyond me.   

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur

Happy kitty sleepy kitty purr purr purr

1 person likes this

They should have hired Emmitt Smith 

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, cowboy_ron said:

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur

Happy kitty sleepy kitty purr purr purr

Don't you think Romo is a horrible speaker?

11 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

You're honest Stephen1, don't you think Romo is a horrible speaker?

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I have no idea what to think with Romo, he never struck me as much of a talker....but then again I said the same thing about Aikman, so who knows, I guess we'll find out.

16 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

lol...for what? Emmitt is just a shade above Lester Hayes of the Raiders.....dude could talk for 10 minutes and you could count on one hane the # of words you could accually understand.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Not really. Like I said earlier...he may suck, he may be good, I have no idea. I have heard him talk....he sounds fine

1 hour ago, cowboy_ron said:

lol...for what? Emmitt is just a shade above Lester Hayes of the Raiders.....dude could talk for 10 minutes and you could count on one hane the # of words you could accually understand.

I was just being sarcastic.....I remember there were clips of Steve Young looking at him like "wtf is he talking about" 

3 people like this

5 hours ago, cowboy_ron said:

I have no idea what to think with Romo, he never struck me as much of a talker....but then again I said the same thing about Aikman, so who knows, I guess we'll find out.

Troy is excellent, Tony doesn't seems like he can complete a sentence without pausing after every other word.

15 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

The real reason Jim Nantz is the golden child is because the inner circle of the Augusta National golf club has embraced him as one of their own.  He is untouchable, because CBS can never lose The Masters to another network.   It took CBS decades to finally get permission to broadcast the final two complete rounds with the top eight players.   The BBC had the same issue.    If you hate golf, you'll never understand. 

As for for the NFL, Nantz want's to pair with the novice Romo instead of  sending him to third string covering a Cleveland game.   Just make sure Romo isn't near a Dallas game this coming season, which is going to be impossible.  Bad move. 

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Troy is excellent, Tony doesn't seems like he can complete a sentence without pausing after every other word.

I hear ya...What I was trying to say was when Troy was playing he was pretty much a man of few words himself so I was surprised he has done so well at it.

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not surprised Romo would retire to go into broadcasting... I didn't realize CBS would give him top billing when I posted that.

He can't be any worse than Phil Simms. Have you seen him lately? He's wooden and about as interesting as a brick wall. Sure Simms can enunciate his words, but what good is that if he has nothing interesting to say?

Romo can mumble off at times in interviews... Maybe CBS thinks his newness and popularity from playing for the Cowboys will bring in an audience. But I don't know why they'd give Romo a spot on the top broadcast team without trying him out first.

3 hours ago, toolg said:

He can't be any worse than Phil Simms. Have you seen him lately? He's wooden and about as interesting as a brick wall. Sure Simms can enunciate his words, but what good is that if he has nothing interesting to say?

I thought Phil was excellent.

On 4/13/2017 at 5:53 PM, Stephen1 said:

I miss Emmitt's fantasy football advise segment on espn. His pick was always a top 5 player going against a bottom 5 defense. 

I use to play a pair of games with it:

Predict his pick

Pick someone who is #2 or lower on their teams depth chart at the same position as his pick who will score higher

1 person likes this