Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Building A Defense, Piece By Piece

453 posts in this topic

The reaction inside the walls of the NovaCare Complex on Tuesday after the news came that the Eagles acquired defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan in exchange for a 25-spot flp-flop of third-round draft picks with Baltimore was that Jernigan was a good fit in what this defense does. He’ll help ...

View the full article

So they noticed Jernigan was losing playing time and figured he was a better fit in Schwartz D. Is that good or bad for Joe Douglas? Almost like he's still trying to save his failure. It wasn't a horrible pick or anything just not resume building.

I know Rosie said no band aids but this feels like a band aid adding Jernigan.

So you look at Jernigan year stats and he had 5 sacks. You're like great we need a DT that can rush the QB. But then I made the mistake of looking just a bit deeper and actually looking at the game log stats. 2 sacks against Cleveland. One each game. A sack against Jax,Jets and Buffalo. Isn't that about the perfect wet dream for any dlineman? Bottom feeding those sacks. It's better than not sacking those pathetic teams QBs. But it also puts things in perspective. 

27 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So you look at Jernigan year stats and he had 5 sacks. You're like great we need a DT that can rush the QB. But then I made the mistake of looking just a bit deeper and actually looking at the game log stats. 2 sacks against Cleveland. One each game. A sack against Jax,Jets and Buffalo. Isn't that about the perfect wet dream for any dlineman? Bottom feeding those sacks. It's better than not sacking those pathetic teams QBs. But it also puts things in perspective. 

So negative buddy. Come off the ledge my friend

2 people like this

The positive is: I'd much rather have Jernigan for 1 mil this season than be paying the rumored double digit million per to Bennie.

Kinda like the move. The 3 4 is much harder to play on the line than the 4 3. I mean remember what happened to haynesworth. Was elite in 4 3 and complete crap in 3 4. Im intrigued to see what comes of this move. Only thing I'm worried about is what article said about all the one year deals. I would hate to lose anyone to free agency that performed well for our team 

2 people like this

I mean C'mon DWD does a sack versus Cleveland feel the same? The Jets? Those are just train wreck situations that a sack is expected. I don't really feel like I'm being negative as much as realistic.

I can tell you who he didn't sack. He didn't get a sack in the Redskins game. He didn't get one in the CBoys game. He didn't get one in the Giants game.----that's my negative post

On a positive note he has Brandon graham and fletcher cox to help his production 

3 people like this

At the heart of this article is that Rosie said he wasn't going to do any band aids. These three guys in this article: Long,Robinson and Jernigan. Do most fans feel these guys are band aids? Not much invested in them is kind of the highlight.

1 person likes this

Timmy has been a terrific player for us for three seasons," Newsome explained in a statement released by the team. "This will allow our young group of defensive linemen an opportunity to compete and play."----Well said by Ozzie and also my belief.

I prefer giving opportunities to unproven players than just getting a vet for the sake of getting a vet. I'd rather hold open tryouts or give opportunities to a player like CJ Smith than just keeping forcing a Leodis McKelvin or Bradley Fletcher all season. I had no interest in getting Mark Sanchez. I'd rather have given Barkley a shot. And maybe Barkley,Smith or whomever unproven player proves he can't do it. But maybe you actually find something because you gave him a shot.

Sooo with this veteran Lineman addition, could the Eagles go Foster, or Hassan Riddick if they fall. Love the suspense. What will we do Next hmmmmmm?

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, darksnake1 said:

On a positive note he has Brandon graham and fletcher cox to help his production 

Brandon Williams and Terrell Suggs aren't chopped liver

1 person likes this

I remember saying this kid could be an impact player, before B-more drafted him... Quick, powerful, penetrating type of DT... 24 years old. Another guy with something to prove.

2 people like this

I think Melifonwu goes in the 1st (Cowboys) and dont sleep on Carl Lawson.

At the heart of this article is that Rosie said he wasn't going to do any band aids. These three guys in this article: Long,Robinson and Jernigan. Do most fans feel these guys are band aids? Not much invested in them is kind of the highlight.

Nah Roseman meant Band Aids as older type guys. Long got signed everyone thought huh thought no band aids. This is a big trade. Keep the pick, lil cap hit, younger n more productive player than the one who left. Its a win situation for the Eagles. Next season is next season lets just focus on this one first.

2 people like this

I think Melifonwu goes in the 1st (Cowboys) and dont sleep on Carl Lawson.

Hmm team him up with his ex team mate Byron Jones.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Nah Roseman meant Band Aids as older type guys. Long got signed everyone thought huh thought no band aids. This is a big trade. Keep the pick, lil cap hit, younger n more productive player than the one who left. Its a win situation for the Eagles. Next season is next season lets just focus on this one first.

I guess we will see. I was just on the record of wanting picks in the top 80 on the last blurb. It seems Ozzie Newsome has the same logic. 74 was possibly Tanoh Kappassagnon territory or a Chris Wormley. Is the one year rental of Jernigan better than the draft position difference? Time will tell.

1 person likes this

Band aid ?
At 24 years old he's much more than a band-aid.
He is young and talented and could thrive in this scheme. If not then you let him walk.
Signing him to a one year prove it deal is exactly what we should want if you ask me.
This way you get to see how a player looks in your scheme before making a long term investment.
There is no doubt that all these one year deals were done with this thought process in mind.
Why would you want to lock up a player long term that may or may not be the answer.
If he is then you get exclusive rights to resign him.
That's a win for the Eagles if you ask me.

3 people like this

Total Access said that the deal for Jernigan was great and that the Eagles won the offseason in the NFCE. Now I wanna see it come together on the field and produce W's!

2 people like this

All Defensive linemen play those type of teams. So you say because he had more sacks than other lineman it is because he played bad teams? Not a fair assessment. All have "Easy" games to help pad their stats. How many sacks did Logan have? 2.5? Suh only had 5 sacks.... This dude is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DE. That is the main reason for his under-performance IMO. He will do much better than Logan. I like this trade, in a big way. There are plenty of players in the top 100 to choose from, so I do not feel this is a huge loss in the 3rd round. If you want Tanoh Kappassagnon , you had better draft him in round 2 because he was not going to be there for their third round pick. Besides, they can always use a 7th round pick to move up a few spots if they feel the need.

3 people like this

Could we have gotten a starter in the 3rd round for our defense? 25 picks later in the third round is quite abit. But you have to ask yourself...This 24 year old is like our 3rd round draft pick on a one year trial. And we still have a 3rd round pick. Not a bad deal.

Just keep the penalties down Timmy. We had enough of Cox's bad timed penalties last year...We don't need two of you on the line taking dumb penalties at inopportune times.