Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Building A Defense, Piece By Piece

453 posts in this topic

Total Access said that the deal for Jernigan was great and that the Eagles won the offseason in the NFCE. Now I wanna see it come together on the field and produce W's!

It seems we always win in the offseason. I want to win in the regular season.

4 people like this

QB (2-3): Wentz, Foles, ??(1)
RB (3-4): ??(2), Sproles, Marshall, Smallwood
WR (5-6): Jeffrey, Matthews, Smith, ??(3), Green-Beckham, Agholor
TE (3): Ertz, Celek, ??(4)
OL (9-10): Peters, Johnson, Brooks, Kelce, Wisniewski, Halapouilivaati, Warmack, Seumalo, ??(5)

S (4-5): Jenkins, McLeod, Maragos, Watkins, ??
CB (5-6): Mills, Robinson, ??, ??, ??, ??
LB (6-7): Hicks, Bradham, Goode, Kendricks, ??, ??
DE (4-5): Graham, Curry, Long, ??
DT: (4-5): Cox, Jernigan, Allen, ??

ST (3): Dorenbos, Sturgis, Jones

... there is a line-up in there that has a lot of potential... if the Eagles cut down to that... according to overthecap.com... they still have roughly 10 mill in pre-draft cap space... likely around 5 mill in post-draft cap space... second line of the defense is the big ?? ... LB and CB... how that shapes up... and then... how good can Wentz be in Year 2? ... get the right answer and wooohooo!!! wrong answer and boohoo!!

7 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Nah Roseman meant Band Aids as older type guys. Long got signed everyone thought huh thought no band aids. This is a big trade. Keep the pick, lil cap hit, younger n more productive player than the one who left. Its a win situation for the Eagles. Next season is next season lets just focus on this one first.

I guess we will see. I was just on the record of wanting picks in the top 80 on the last blurb. It seems Ozzie Newsome has the same logic. 74 was possibly Tanoh Kappassagnon territory or a Chris Wormley. Is the one year rental of Jernigan better than the draft position difference? Time will tell.

The difference here is that the one year rental already has 3 yrs of NFL experience. Where as the 3rd rd prospect, is just that, a prospect.

2 people like this

So they noticed Jernigan was losing playing time and figured he was a better fit in Schwartz D. Is that good or bad for Joe Douglas? Almost like he's still trying to save his failure. It wasn't a horrible pick or anything just not resume building.

Duuno if you can call it a failure when he gets few pieces to work with.Look what we have spent on the O side over the last years getting expensive FA's and defensive "hand me downs"

1 person likes this

I know Rosie said no band aids but this feels like a band aid adding Jernigan.

Band-aids can be IMPROVEMENTS and isn't that the idea?

1 person likes this

At the heart of this article is that Rosie said he wasn't going to do any band aids. These three guys in this article: Long,Robinson and Jernigan. Do most fans feel these guys are band aids? Not much invested in them is kind of the highlight.

If it improves the team,or adds the depth we lack what difference does it make where you get them?

1 person likes this

I prefer giving opportunities to unproven players than just getting a vet for the sake of getting a vet. I'd rather hold open tryouts or give opportunities to a player like CJ Smith than just keeping forcing a Leodis McKelvin or Bradley Fletcher all season. I had no interest in getting Mark Sanchez. I'd rather have given Barkley a shot. And maybe Barkley,Smith or whomever unproven player proves he can't do it. But maybe you actually find something because you gave him a shot.

That's what training camp is for-to find out who can be your starter.having a vet ,adding to depth even if he doesn't start makes sense for the young guys

2 people like this

I remember saying this kid could be an impact player, before B-more drafted him... Quick, powerful, penetrating type of DT... 24 years old. Another guy with something to prove.

yeah dont know what all this "panic-it's a vet" is about.At 24 he may not be a vet,but somone with GAME experience.To me a veteran is a guy whos been in the league many years(say 7-10)

1 person likes this

OL (9-10): Peters, Johnson, Brooks, Kelce, Wisniewski, Halapouilivaati, Warmack, Seumalo, ??(5)

... there is a line-up in there that has a lot of potential... if the Eagles cut down to that... according to overthecap.com... they still have roughly 10 mill in pre-draft cap space... likely around 5 mill in post-draft cap space... second line of the defense is the big ?? ... LB and CB... how that shapes up... and then... how good can Wentz be in Year 2? ... get the right answer and wooohooo!!! wrong answer and boohoo!!

About 10 mil to pay your draftees dude!! lol

You know in the grand scheme of things,it's possible with this trade now,that we move DOWN in round 1 to get that 3 pick back up(or an extra 3).I would love Davis(probably gone) Williams(probably gone) Howard(probably gone) which means we are looking very hard at McCaffrey.if we can squeeze out the cap space,adding a Blount or Charles(the KC connection) with Caff,Smalls and Sproles certainly works for me.1 RB in the draft and the rest you can spend on D(cept I'd still grab a late WR like taywan taylor).We shall see,could be a nice plan IMO!!! Caff in 1,your starting CB in 2,Taylor in 3? Or we could go DE here and wait on a WR-JMO but seems to make sense

1 person likes this

You know in the grand scheme of things,it's possible with this trade now,that we move DOWN in round 1 to get that 3 pick back up(or an extra 3).I would love Davis(probably gone) Williams(probably gone) Howard(probably gone) which means we are looking very hard at McCaffrey.if we can squeeze out the cap space,adding a Blount or Charles(the KC connection) with Caff,Smalls and Sproles certainly works for me.1 RB in the draft and the rest you can spend on D(cept I'd still grab a late WR like taywan taylor).We shall see,could be a nice plan IMO!!! Caff in 1,your starting CB in 2,Taylor in 3? Or we could go DE here and wait on a WR-JMO but seems to make sense

Reasoning-Caff seems to have the same talents as Sproles.Gets a year in under the master cause as we know,this is probably Sproles last year.Who better to show Caff the nuances of the game.next year we miss/lack ZERO at RB-makes sense to me

1 person likes this

Look, we had so many holes to fill this off season, there was no way we were going to do this with one draft. To think so is ignorance. So we get a few 1-year "Prove it contracts". Re-sign the ones who do well, release the others and take care of those positions in the next draft. I am very happy with the moves this off season to date. Also, remember we signed Brooks to a lower deal at CB. he may prove to be capable corner this season.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, PineapplePizza said:

About 10 mil to pay your draftees dude!! lol

its actually about 5 mill for a draft class... but I'm sure he is saving some funds for the cut rounds of training camp when teams release quality talent... he usually does... he has money to play with though... potentially... if he wants

This yr is supposed to be a little under 7 mill for the draft according to OTC, that's neither here nor there. More importantly is the FO learned its' lesson and didn't create more holes than they could fill in FA.

2 people like this

Look, we had so many holes to fill this off season, there was no way we were going to do this with one draft. To think so is ignorance. So we get a few 1-year "Prove it contracts". Re-sign the ones who do well, release the others and take care of those positions in the next draft. I am very happy with the moves this off season to date. Also, remember we signed Brooks to a lower deal at CB. he may prove to be capable corner this season.

Here's my updated mock(like anyone cares) 1)McCaffrey(could even move down a bit and still get him) 2)Tankersley-CB-Clemson(assumed starter) 3)Demarcus walker-DE-FSU 4)Bucky Hodges-TE(to repace Celek later)-TE-Virginia Tech 4)Zach Banner(projected to be a ROT in the NFL)-USC 5)Stacy Coley(burner)-WR-Miami(FL) 6)Hunter Dimick-DE-Utah 7)Ashton Lampkin-CB-Okla.St.I would be happy with this

18 minutes ago, PineapplePizza said:

its actually about 5 mill for a draft class... but I'm sure he is saving some funds for the cut rounds of training camp when teams release quality talent... he usually does... he has money to play with though... potentially... if he wants

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-draft-2016-contracts-projected-salaries-all-first-round-picks-2361279 LAST years stats say 5 mil for your first rounder-min at other spots is 450,000 so much closer to 10mil(I said about!!! lol)

Still think there are more surprises coming either before the draft or during the draft. Decisions on Ryan Mathews, Kendricks and Jmatt and possibly a few others depending on how the draft shakes out.

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

This yr is supposed to be a little under 7 mill for the draft according to OTC, that's neither here nor there. More importantly is the FO learned its' lesson and didn't create more holes than they could fill in FA.

Maybe they are getting the hang of this???? Long time coming lol

Just now, 1wrangler said:

Still think there are more surprises coming either before the draft or during the draft. Decisions on Ryan Mathews, Kendricks and Jmatt and possibly a few others depending on how the draft shakes out.

I am assuming RMat is gone,not sure about the others-JMO

I am assuming Rmat is gone.Not sure about the others(see reasoning below or above depending on how you get here) for Why Caff would be a nice pick

So all you experts on moving up in the draft. How many spots could you move up for a 4th round pick?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

From what round are you moving?

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Basically if you trade back in round 1 ONLY 1 spot,it should net you a mid round 4th pick(aka 50 points) say around 123,4,5,so if we like Caff just moving from 14 to 15 nets us an extra 4th(in theory)

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

So all you experts on moving up in the draft. How many spots could you move up for a 4th round pick?

From what round are you moving?

Can the Eagles move up two spots in the first for a 4th round pick or will it take a third rounder?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Basically if you trade back in round 1 ONLY 1 spot,it should net you a mid round 4th pick(aka 50 points) say around 123,4,5,so if we like Caff just moving from 14 to 15 nets us an extra 4th(in theory)

If we can do that I would add another CB to my mock list lol

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Can the Eagles move up two spots in the first for a 4th round pick or will it take a third rounder?

3rd we would lose

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If we can do that I would add another CB to my mock list lol

3rd we would lose

Actually doing that would leave us with about 60 some points(or so) which is another 4th,so moving up 2 you would lose your third but pick up an extra 4 pick.This is all theoretical obviously