DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Makes Jump From 2016 Draft Class?

419 posts in this topic

im really fired up for this comming regular season to see what Wentz can do with some new WR's. go BIRDS!

My anxiety is about to BLOW the roof off waiting for the Draft & Preseason! Say what you want about preseason,but I absolutely love watching the young guys to see what they have. It's very similar to a college game where you see every single player on the field expending all the heart and determination that they have and leaving everything on the field. I really get excited to see our draft picks light the field on fire,as well as the few UDFA's that come along to eventually be Pro Bowlers.

2 people like this

If Barnett is available I say we go,
DE
RB
CB
For our first three picks.
We improved our WR situation for now.
We lost 7 games last year by a TD or less.
If the receivers could have held on to the ball we would have been a contender.

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

DWD here is a WR less mock i tried.Should be close to yours Based on CBS rankings .1)Conley-CB-OSU 2)quincy Wilson-CB-Florida 3) DeMarcus Walker-DE-FSU 4)Ryan Glasgow-DT-Michigan 4) Xavier Woods-SS-Louisiana Tech( I know you want Jones here lol) 5) James Conner-RB-Pitt 6)Josh carraway-DE/OLB-TCU 7)Tarik Cohen-RB NC AT&T(ok I'll move him up lol) UDFA-Jehu Chesson-WR-Michigan,Travin Dural-WR-LSU(these guys ride the pine and get experienced)

I would take Nazair Jones over Ryan Glasgow. Glasgow is a run defender with not much pass rush. I could justify taking Jones at our 1st 4th rd pick too.

6 hours ago, senhorcook said:

I LOVE NFL football. But I will be glad when the draft is ..... OVER ..... It is nauseating. Predicting who will go where and why and none of the experts EVER get it even remotely close. All teams are bluffing big time right now with their intentions. Sorry, I may be the only one here, but I am beyond sick of the "mocks". Pick the best guy available when the Eagles pick and then put them to work and see what talent they actually have. I love football, not mock drafts. I'm fine with the draft and will pay attention to who the Eagles draft, but none of us will know truly if the draft were successful or not on day 1. I can't wait for opening day in terms of football. No offense meant to all of you who like the mocks. Enjoy them if that is your thing.

I thinks mocks are for us stubborn jerks that just like to argue and debate. We find 1 or 2 guys we attach ourselves to and argue why the Eagles should take them over someone else. We all have our favorites and our sleepers (those are my favorites) on who we prefer and come draft day we get to see who is closest to predict the Eagles draft and they earn bragging rights for a year. It's all in fun and we learn a lot about the players coming out and get to see some of our favorites turn into stars and say I told you he would be great.

2 people like this

An old EMB poster sent me an email last night explaining why we not only should draft a CB in rounds 1 and 2, but that we HAVE to. His reasoning is pretty sound. For you old posters like me, his nic was CETS. Here is what he said:
2017 CB vs. 2014 WR Draft Class
Its pretty common knowledge the 2017 draft is loaded with CB talent. I've heard many people say "you can get a starting CB in the 4th round." We are about to end up with the CB version of Huff with our 3rd round pick if we don't use 2014's WR draft as an example. Use the 1st two picks on a CB and pick BPA afterwards. Here's my reasoning...
The same claims were made about the depth of the WR draft class of 2014. What happened was that more WRs were taken in the 1st two rounds that year than in years past. Nearly double. Here's a list of the WRs taken in round 1: Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks and Kelvin Benjamin. Zero busts (100% "hit" rate). Round 2: Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry with many busts (Marqise Lee, Paul Richardson and Cody Latimer). That a 57% hit rate. 3rd Round: John Brown (as a stretch). Misses are Josh Huff and Donte Moncrief. Hit rate of a shaky 33%. I counted Brown, but if we end up with the equivalent CB as John Brown starting for us we're in trouble. 4th round: Martavis Bryan is the only honorable mention in the 4th. He's typically too high to prove just how great he is, but we'll give him credit anyway. The other 4 WRs taken in that round can be considered busts. That's 20% hit rate if you give Bryant a clean drug test. Beyond the 4th round nobody expects starters.
If the CB class of 2017 lives up to the WR class of 2014 they will be historic. There were 3 WRs (counting Quincy Enunwa (taken in the 6th)) out of 18 in the 3rd through 7th rounds worth talking about. Considering the Eagle's current administration didn't know Eric Rowe was worth a roster spot do you really think they'll find the diamond in the rough out of late rounds?
The Reach: All of the experts have slotted where most players will go. If you take a player after that its a steal and earlier, its a reach. If you are in need of two starting WRs during the year of the WR draft (2014) and you pick in the middle (14th) you would have had to reach to get Cooks or Benjamin. Based off of how they drafted that year you would have been forced to reach again for Adams, Latimer, Robinson or Landry. Unless you picked Latimer you would have two starting WRs. You would also still have your 3rd round pick to pick anybody you like.
Instead we took the "BPA", Marcus Smith, and only halfway took advantage of the WR class of the decade. Resulting in Matthews and Huff. You're worried about a reach!!! Try drafting a starting CB in another year's draft when you don't pick in the top 10. You will be packaging a set of picks to get what we could "reach" for with 2017's pick 14. Pick wisely my friends.

2 people like this

Saw this on #GMFB yesterday (Wed.) morning and found it very interesting. Just imagine if Dawkins & Polamalu had been able to play together! The Eagles traded down for McDougle at 15 and Pitt. took Polamalu at 16 after trading down. But the past is the PAST and if everything was hindsight,life would be a fantasy ride!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000799359/What-if-the-Eagles-drafted-Troy-Polamalu-in-2003

Hey Stine. If Marcus Smith was the BPA at that spot in the draft i'll eat my hat.

1 person likes this

He was using that as an example of the Eagles draft board. He was, in fact, the BPA on their board. Now, my only argument to my friend is that I have the Eagles grabbing a CB in the first round, but I feel we need to give Douglas a chance to see how he can scout talent. We have to hope that he can do a much better job than earlier scouts did for our team.....

3 people like this

Stine - I remember CETS. Why doesn't he just post here anymore? Think I can answer that myself, everyone has their own reasons. His email is straight to the point and part of why I believe BPA is the eventual goal, but it's for a team that's good all around, not for a team like us with weaknesses - esp w/ weaknesses that have plagued us for years. Mayock wrote an article I've been unable to relocate in which he broke down the CB's by fit, taking the strengths/weaknesses, whether they play better zone, off, press etc. He also considered  team scheme and the S's. So a "deep" CB class is not as deep as we think, there are really only 1 or 2 "top" corners for us. As Humphrey gets beat deep, it leaves Conley as Lattimore will not be there. Malcom Jenkins has been promoting Conley as they both went to Ohio St, so they should have good communication right out of the gait. None of these top tier guys should be there at 43 and as we know later picks have decreased odds. I'm not advocating the Eagles absolutely have to take CB at 14. If a real game changer should drop to us, then by all means we'd have to take him. The choice is really how we value that player at 14 vs the increased probability of going into yet another season of iffy CB play.

1 person likes this

CETS Does not like to argue on here anymore. He feels it is a waste of time for him and would rather email between us few old timers that have since formed a FFL team. He likes that all of us have good solid discussions and there is no animosity thrown out there. If you remember, there were a few posters that could not wait to jump on someone's opinion years ago. It is not that bad anymore, but he has since gotten used to just emailing now....

1 person likes this

What is a "Reach" and who makes that decision? I mean, if your head of the scouting department has Conley ranked 10th on his board and the consensus has him ranked 33rd, does that make him a reach? I really do not get that reasoning to be honest. What I consider a reach, may be the BPA for someone else. As far as who the Eagles take at 14, I prefer they grab best CB on the board. We need to stop the bleeding at that position and we can this year. We may not be able to next year. CETS brought up the point that we may need to trade down next year to do so, so why not take care of it now?

2 people like this

MJK, sent you a message....

12 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I will take Conley/Jones 

I like Jones was high on him before injury was more think starting duo this year lol....Would not complain if we got Jones though would have to wait on him 

WR I have not heard anyone on here talk about is the guy from WVU Shelton Gibson.....Don't know a ton about him but the Eagles have had interest in him....Has blazing speed think he avg. something 22 plus yards a catch which is insane during his college career.....Not huge but not small either decent size at 5'11 190 

The way I see it, there are only a few real game changers at the top of this draft. In all likelihood the Eagles will not be interested in QB, S. Depending on where those go one of these guys could drop to us, making the decision at 14 better although more difficult.

I for one believe this team was a playoff contender last yr - injuries, suspension, lack of depth, some of the worst WR play I've ever seen and a few other variables. We're already in better shape, so are the gnats w/ the boys and skins falling. Currently evaluating this Eagles team, our order of immediate weaknesses start at CB, followed very closely by RB. These weaknesses are the most glaring as we cannot field a team this season and expect to win games vs the better ranked teams.

Said that last bit for better understanding as to why I would discount ( not eliminate ) WR at 14 - it is not an immediate need. Sure, Alshon is on a 1 yr deal. He's here now on a 1 yr deal, therefore a lot of incentive to play well. We also have 1st dibs on resigning and worst case scenario franchising - which we don't normally do. In taking WR out of the "game changer pool", we're left w/ ( in no specific order ) DE, RB, LB and CB, the pool out of which should one drop to us at 14 we'd have to take. If however one should not and the remaining players are similarly ranked, the tiebreaker falls to need.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, stine said:

What is a "Reach" and who makes that decision? I mean, if your head of the scouting department has Conley ranked 10th on his board and the consensus has him ranked 33rd, does that make him a reach? I really do not get that reasoning to be honest. What I consider a reach, may be the BPA for someone else. As far as who the Eagles take at 14, I prefer they grab best CB on the board. We need to stop the bleeding at that position and we can this year. We may not be able to next year. CETS brought up the point that we may need to trade down next year to do so, so why not take care of it now?

Neal from the Falcons is a nice example from last year many thought he was a reach for them but performed at a high level and sure Falcons fans aren't mad they got him....I am guilty of using the word reach a ton but at the same time if the person we draft performs at a high level nobody will care

1 person likes this

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

The way I see it, there are only a few real game changers at the top of this draft. In all likelihood the Eagles will not be interested in QB, S. Depending on where those go one of these guys could drop to us, making the decision at 14 better although more difficult.

I for one believe this team was a playoff contender last yr - injuries, suspension, lack of depth, some of the worst WR play I've ever seen and a few other variables. We're already in better shape, so are the gnats w/ the boys and skins falling. Currently evaluating this Eagles team, our order of immediate weaknesses start at CB, followed very closely by RB. These weaknesses are the most glaring as we cannot field a team this season and expect to win games vs the better ranked teams.

Said that last bit for better understanding as to why I would discount ( not eliminate ) WR at 14 - it is not an immediate need. Sure, Alshon is on a 1 yr deal. He's here now on a 1 yr deal, therefore a lot of incentive to play well. We also have 1st dibs on resigning and worst case scenario franchising - which we don't normally do. In taking WR out of the "game changer pool", we're left w/ ( in no specific order ) DE, RB, LB and CB, the pool out of which should one drop to us at 14 we'd have to take. If however one should not and the remaining players are similarly ranked, the tiebreaker falls to need.

Eagles have shown interest in a few S and considering the way we like to drop S getting a 3rd could make a ton of sense......I would not rule out us taking a guy like Adams or Hooker if they fell to us might not be received well by fans though.....

I have a hard enough time dealing w/ reality BG! Both of those players are in the "will not drop to us" category. If he did there's either something wrong or we'd have to consider them.

Like Jones a lot as well. However we'd need to spend pick 43 on him - would you?

Think that comes down to the team no....Seen that Jones thinks he will make it back in 6 months from his injury if that is the case would suit up at some point in his rookie year...And if you truly believe as a team he can be a shut-down CB 2nd rounder could well be worth it......Personally me no I would not take him in the 2nd round if he was still available 3rd would strongly consider...If he is available to us in the 4th or later he is my pick 

I have a hard enough time dealing w/ reality BG! Both of those players are in the "will not drop to us" category. If he did there's either something wrong or we'd have to consider them.

I don't rule out any players really falling just list it as highly unlikely surprises happen all the time during the draft no clue how it will play out or who will be on the board when we pick(or even what we will do could move up or down) 

Good Morning Stine, I don't believe it is a reach drafting CB's in rounds one and two. My definition of a reach is expecting both those picks to be in the starting lineup from the beginning of the year and being able to play well. The CB position is the second most difficult position to play in the NFL. Anyone of the guys we could possibly draft didn't start in their first year of college yet they were stars at their high schools. They sat out a year to learn. Then they were worked into the lineup during there sophomore years to get some on field experience. By their junior years they were ready to go as a starter. Some of these guys started for two years and others came out in the draft after only starting for one year. The leap from the college game to the NFL is almost as great as the leap from high school to college yet most of the fans would expect these two new CB's we draft to be on the field right away because of how high they were taken in the draft. I have read that the Eagles are considering moving Jalen Mills to the outside this year. If that is true, he is going to have a learning curve in his new position. I just can't believe that one of these guys Patrick Robinson, C.J.Smith, Aaron Grymes, or Dwayne Gratz can't step up to the plate for a year to give the new CB's we draft a little bit of a learning curve. It also sounds like Ron Brooks could be our new nickel back so there is another learning curve with an experienced back. The fans want to compete this year and rightfully so. They brought back Jason Peters and his salary for just that purpose but it is unrealistic to believe that the Eagles will compete to a high degree with two rookie CB's in the starting lineup, know matter how high they are drafted.

1 person likes this

These Kelce haters. Seu hasn't played a snap at C in the NFL and Kelce is a huge help for Wentz in reading D's and resetting. I don't see anybody on this team who's better at C right now than Kelce. Not saying he couldn't be traded, but think Doug wants to build continuity while training in the new C and supporting Wentz as best we can. Kelce is a very smart player. Must have been tough taking care of a rookie QB with the carousel that was out OL last yr. That said think it will be the last yr for both Kelce and JP.

FLY EAGLES FLY! Good morning from Vegas fellow board mates. Here's my opinion on the Kelce situation. When the O-line had continuity and they stayed healthy Kelce was rated as one of the best centers. He could pull, make line calls, and generally anchor the line. What happened in a couple years? Having to pick up the slack for guys being hurt, rookies, or players traded to the team. When you don't trust the guy next to you, you start to overreach thinking I gotta do my job and help him. Lets give Kelce the benefit of the doubt and see how he plays this year with healthy (fingers n toes crossed) line. If the o-line stays healthy and he keeps getting beat or not making/holding blocks, then I'm all for getting rid of him. When the line was healthy talk was he was one of the better centers. That's my 2 cents worth.

1 person likes this

If Barnett is available I say we go,
DE
RB
CB
For our first three picks.
We improved our WR situation for now.
We lost 7 games last year by a TD or less.
If the receivers could have held on to the ball we would have been a contender.

I have CB CB DE

1 person likes this