Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Greg Cosell's Nuggets Of Draft Wisdom

7 posts in this topic

NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell joined the Journey to the Draft crew this week to offer a position-by-position preview. Here are 19 key takeaways ranging from his thoughts on certain prospec...

View the full article

Now here's a man that knows what he's talking about! Why don't the Eagles use Greg Cosell in making their draft picks? or do they?

Joe Mixon--Yes, I totally agree that he's the "most complete back" in the draft. And he fits the Eagles well, at least as well as, if not better than any other back in the draft. Which is why the Eagles need to get an extra 2nd round pick (by trading back in the 1st +?) so that they can acquire Mixon *and* a top CB together in the second round, and by doing so solve two of their most pressing needs. (I've written extensively about what I think of the 'off field' incident that occurred in 2014, so I won't comment on it again here. But, at the very least, I see Mixon as less of a risk than Dalvin Cook.) The Eagles should also make every attempt to draft Samaje Perine as well, because he and Mixon compliment each other perfectly. Throw speedster Tarik Cohen into the mix (the "quickest" back Mayock says he's ever seen), as Sproles replacement for 2018, and the Eagles' backfield is all set for years.

John Ross--We have too many other needs to take Ross at #14. I say focus all efforts on drafting WR Courtland Sutton next year.

JuJu Smith-Schuster--He reminds me a little bit of a young Pierre Garcon. Is that stretching things? I think he's a good fit for the Eagles, especially if he goes as late as the 4th round.

Isaac Asiata--I suspect the Eagles are going to try to draft Asiata. It makes sense, that is, if they feel they still need more depth at guard--which I would question right now. However, if they were to trade Kelce that all changes. Then, they will need Asiata, since either Wisniewski or Seumalo will move to center.

Taco Charleton--Here's where I disagree with Cosell. In no way is Taco Charleton a faster or quicker pass rusher than DeMarcus Walker. He's clearly slower. Just watch the films.

Reuben Foster--I totally agree that he's one of the 3 best prospects in the draft. And if Foster's there at #14, I'd have to reconsider my idea of trading back. I can't imagine he will be though.

Kevin King--Yes, not only does he move "really well" for a 6'3" guy!, but he also has very long arms (good reach) and very quick hands. So King would make a great addition to the Eagles secondary. I think some critics have underrated his potential. If the Eagles do trade back in the 1st (to the 20s), King would be one of the CBs that I'd most like to see them take.

1 person likes this

Totally agree with the take on Reuben Foster... I'm coming around on Joe Mixon, though I think what he did makes him a total scumbag. There is no doubt his skill set matches what the eagles do, but I have a hard time forgiving crap like what he pulled.

2 people like this

Luvin this from MrSimpson:  "Which is why the Eagles need to get an extra 2nd round pick (by trading back in the 1st +?) so that they can acquire Mixon *and* a top CB together in the second round"

There should be a good CB to be had late 1st (Kevin King, Gareon Conley, etc.) I would grab Mixon & Sidney Jones in the 2nd and be set for many years at CB. Add depth to "D" front 7 in rd 3 and on. Add WR, RB, and even TE if quality is available in this draft deep in RB, CB, TE, & S...

Contend for division this year and SB contenders/winners '18 - '24 and on...

Go Birds..

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

EaglezInPhila writes, "I'm coming around on Joe Mixon, though I think what he did makes him a total scumbag"

When Mixon arrived at Oklahoma in 2014, by his own admission, he was a pretty mixed up kid. He was an 18 year old that had a lot to learn and needed to grow up. Though I agree, of course, what he did was disgusting & reprehensible. You never hit a woman.

But it looks like that negative incident (& its aftermath) has changed this young man's life & for the better--and I hope in a big way. I admire that Mixon has actively sought out hundreds of hours of counseling in an effort to become a better human being, and that he showed a genuine contrition & remorse for what he did in his 'apology' press conference in late 2016. That takes strength of character.  Yes, he's a work in progress, as are we all, but if he succeeds, and I hope he will, I'd be proud to call Mixon an Eagle: in fact, I think this organization would be a good place for him:

Edited by MrSimpson
Added a you tube link, correction
1 person likes this

Totally agree with the take on Reuben Foster... I'm coming around on Joe Mixon, though I think what he did makes him a total scumbag. There is no doubt his skill set matches what the eagles do, but I have a hard time forgiving crap like what he pulled.

I think that Mixon is a great talent, and very bad news. That video footage is worse than the Ray Rice video. So you go in, taunt gay people, punch a girl in the face, and we want him? Nah...let someone else have that problem. He will not be the reason we win or lose a Super Bowl. Horrible...

1 person likes this

On 4/14/2017 at 6:24 PM, MrSimpson said:

EaglezInPhila writes, "I'm coming around on Joe Mixon, though I think what he did makes him a total scumbag"

When Mixon arrived at Oklahoma in 2014, by his own admission, he was a pretty mixed up kid. He was an 18 year old that had a lot to learn and needed to grow up. Though I agree, of course, what he did was disgusting & reprehensible. You never hit a woman.

But it looks like that negative incident (& its aftermath) has changed this young man's life & for the better--and I hope in a big way. I admire that Mixon has actively sought out hundreds of hours of counseling in an effort to become a better human being, and that he showed a genuine contrition & remorse for what he did in his 'apology' press conference in late 2016. That takes strength of character.  Yes, he's a work in progress, as are we all, but if he succeeds, and I hope he will, I'd be proud to call Mixon an Eagle: in fact, I think this organization would be a good place for him:

He still hasn't learned. He threatened another woman and authority in 2016 -

Mixon then got into his vehicle and "inched at the officer with vehicle in drive to intimidate the officer with vehicle," the report details.

I mean I knew when I was 6 not to retaliate at a girl who pulled my hair a lot in school. I never yelled at her , threatened her, hit her nothing. I punched a few boys immediately  who tried to mess with me in school when I was a kid. I didn't take crap from any boys.

He doesn't even have the maturity of a 6 year old boy.

1 person likes this