Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Lawlor: Critical Time For Smith, Agholor

35 posts in this topic

I was never all that big on Marcus Smith(still hopeful though), but I loved the selection of Agholar at the time. Coming out of college he looked amazing, had slick ways of getting open, and wasn't noted for dropped passes. I hope the Vets like Jeffrey help this kid out, he really does have great potential.
Joe Walker is one I am interested in seeing this year too. He looked like a very physical linebacker, who could make you pay up the middle.
What happened to Blake Countess (i get the feeling i am spelling that wrong)?

2 people like this

What the hell is a binkey?hahaha, GBinFl...hmmmm forget I asked...there was a growing perception after we gave away Rowe , that we had been careless with our resources, that our competitors were reaping the benefit of players like Dawkins, Shady, DJax, Maclin... I get that players must earn their spot on the team... I think we need to be sure about Agholor and Smith before giving them away. Bringing in Groh and adding Chris Long will help these guys . They still have to do their jobs.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
On 4/17/2017 at 5:38 AM, EaglesTD123 said:
  On 4/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, trini said:

I am very hopeful about McCalister, Walker and Dillon Gordon. I am buying that both Smith and Agholor could remove their 1rnd Bust status. The additions of Chris Long, and the veteran savvy he brings could help Smith and McCalister... Gordon has Peters... Agholor has Tory Smith and Jeffery, proven players along a New Proven WR coach. Things may be a lot different for Nelson.

I mentioned this 2 or 3 weeks ago➙ "It could also help Agholor that he won't have a ton of pressure on him this season. Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith, and Jordan Matthews will be the workhorse receivers."➙plus about having those vets to help him out and having Mike Groh as a proven WR coach.
I am also very hopeful about McCalister, Walker and Dillon Gordon. I can't wait for preseason to see how much beefier McCalister looks and what he can do after putting some muscle weight on to go along with his 36" wingspan. I do believe we'll see a much more confident and consistent Agholor this season.

"Pressure" is why they make the big bucks.Can't handle that? Become a greeter at Wal-Mart.I am NOT gonna hold Agholor's bin

I simply meant that I feel Agh was adding self imposed pressure by trying too hard instead of just soaring and letting it flow.

20 hours ago, PhillyRod said:

What happened to Blake Countess (i get the feeling i am spelling that wrong)?

Countess didn't make the Roster cuts.

1 person likes this

What the hell is a binkey?hahaha, GBinFl...hmmmm forget I asked...there was a growing perception after we gave away Rowe , that we had been careless with our resources, that our competitors were reaping the benefit of players like Dawkins, Shady, DJax, Maclin... I get that players must earn their spot on the team... I think we need to be sure about Agholor and Smith before giving them away. Bringing in Groh and adding Chris Long will help these guys . They still have to do their jobs.

Binky-Security blanket for your 2 year old

1 person likes this

Appearing on NFL Network, Jenkins was clear that he would draft a corner.

"I think that when you lose two veteran corners, and that was already a position that we needed to address anyway, I think you have to look at the secondary, especially the corner position," he said. "You got a draft that is full of them, but if you don’t get a couple early, it might not be there later down in the draft. Hopefully they can get one of those Buckeyes that’ll be in the market at that time, and help up sure-up that secondary."

Jenkins, an Ohio State alum, is referring to OSU corners Marcus Lattimore and Gareon Conley, who are both projected to be gone by the time the Eagles pick at 14.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/malcolm-jenkins-and-brandon-graham-opine-who-eagles-should-draft/

LOL yeah so far 57 guys will be already gone by 14

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 4/17/2017 at 5:38 AM, EaglesTD123 said:
  On 4/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, trini said:

I am very hopeful about McCalister, Walker and Dillon Gordon. I am buying that both Smith and Agholor could remove their 1rnd Bust status. The additions of Chris Long, and the veteran savvy he brings could help Smith and McCalister... Gordon has Peters... Agholor has Tory Smith and Jeffery, proven players along a New Proven WR coach. Things may be a lot different for Nelson.

I mentioned this 2 or 3 weeks ago➙ "It could also help Agholor that he won't have a ton of pressure on him this season. Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith, and Jordan Matthews will be the workhorse receivers."➙plus about having those vets to help him out and having Mike Groh as a proven WR coach.
I am also very hopeful about McCalister, Walker and Dillon Gordon. I can't wait for preseason to see how much beefier McCalister looks and what he can do after putting some muscle weight on to go along with his 36" wingspan. I do believe we'll see a much more confident and consistent Agholor this season.

"Pressure" is why they make the big bucks.Can't handle that? Become a greeter at Wal-Mart.I am NOT gonna hold Agholor's bin

I simply meant that I feel Agh was adding self imposed pressure by trying too hard instead of just soaring and letting it flow.

ok Gotcha,I mistook that for "another year of coddling"

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:
  On April 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On April 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM, EaglesTD123 said:
  On April 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM, trini said:

ok Gotcha,I mistook that for "another year of coddling"

You're alright,Man! ☺ I like you being thorough, for it keeps me on my toes and TBH,I don't always do a good job of finding the right words to accurately explain what I'm trying to say. That is one of my biggest weaknesses. I was always a really good spelling student,but not so good at English and vocabulary. Go figure.(UGH)

1 person likes this

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, trini said:

Binky-Security blanket for your 2 year old

Having done my time in service, exiting as an E-6; I have some experience coaching 2 year olds. While we referred to it as a blanky, I think we can all agree that no amount of coddling is going to make a star out of a bust. Agholor's basic problem is holding on to the football. Until he overcomes that he will forever wear the bust tag. Quite frankly, his college potential has little reflection on his performance as a pro. As for Smith I have no clue what is going on there. Some folks (on this very board) thought him a reach in the second. Still the club used our first on him leaving needed secondary help like Deone Bucannon, Bradley Roby, and Jimmie Ward still on the board. I believe the excuse was the dearth of talent at rush linebacker, but why then do I keep hearing the old, "We draft the best player available, not for need" chorus, over and over. I think any expectations heaped on these two now should be tempered by the reality of hundreds of busts that went before.

Great mock BTW.

2 people like this

On 4/16/2017 at 11:50 AM, medfordindians said:

Tommy Lawlor is right (as usual). Not every Pro Bowl caliber NFL player has a sensational rookie year, and many ride the bench for several years before breaking out. But let's hope that these guys are ready to contribute as solid starters. With the right coaching, the right scheme, the right help around them, and the right NFL body as they reach the prime years in their career, I think they're ready.

Patience is not one of the virtues of Eagles fans. Booing your own team doesn't help them... it puts pressure on them and makes them nervous. Eagles fans need to develop more loyalty and trust towards each and every player on the field, and forgive them for their mistakes. Cheer them when they succeed, but come on man... don't boo them when they come up short!

This is simply not true. You and Lawlor are implying that slow development is the norm. It isn't. It's factually inaccurate. Not that facts matter anymore in our society. The majority of successful NFL players develop by year two or three at latest- if not showing their skills as a rookie. And for those who develop more slowly, the more accurate reason why is because often they were backing up an established veteran - many of whom were long time pro bowlers. eg: Aaron Rodgers waiting for Brett Favre to leave. Aaron Rodgers would have been Aaron Rodgers as a rookie if he had been allowed to play.

None of this exists in the case of Nelson Agholor or Marcus Smith. There were no pro bowlers in front of them as rookies or second year players. Yes, it can happen that some - a minority of players - develop after 3 or 4 years in the league. My view is don't expect it because you simply can't do a compare and contrast and find the normal course of development is that long. Most NFL careers don't even last 3 or 4 years.