Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Wentz Has Leap To Make In Year 2

203 posts in this topic

The Big Next Step for quarterback Carson Wentz is here, and with the first-day-of-school-feel around the NovaCare Complex on Monday as the players reported for the open of the Eagles’ voluntary offseason conditioning program, well, it’s hard not to be excited ...

View the full article

He has a big leap to make for sure. Did I see someone mention that he only did footwork and nothing with mechanics this off season?

None the less though Im excited to see how much better Wentz can be. I wonder if he will work more on throwing mechanics during OTAs?

Getting a full off season of NFL workouts for Wentz has to really help also, I would guess he bulked up some too. 

1 person likes this

Torry Smith has a reputation for drops. After the problems with the WRs last year I suspect both he and Ags won't get any slack from the Eagles fans.

1 person likes this

Lost "in the shuffle" regarding Wentz's arm mechanics and footwork: as he's repeatedly shown, especially earlier in the season, before his WR's forgot how to catch, is his Peytonesque ability to take command , both before (reading defenses) and during the play. We honestly have NEVER seen this in an Eagle QB, except for maybe Van Brocklin. Both Cunningham and McNabb were incredible athletes, but couldn't come close to taking charge. I was really impressed last season, and once his mechanics are improved, the sky's the limit. As of now, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB, except for maybe Rodgers. We'll see how incredibly lucky we are soon.

4 people like this

Kelce had a lot to do with reading D's as well, a very smart player. A lot of people don't understand that besides the QB - for us last yr a rookie - the C is the smartest guy on the field. Would like to see him help Wentz another yr, during which we'll find out if Seu is capable.

As for Wentz - please hold the ball up! In striving to save tenths of a second and protecting the ball, this drives me nuts! Glad he got to work on his footwork, can't wait to see it.

1 person likes this

Excited to see who they add in the draft, but this roster already looks better on paper than last years. Last year wasn't a bad roster either though, they were better than 7-9 record, but need to get them close games. I think they can take the NFC East Will see from there.

2 people like this

I advise patience with Wentz. He wants to improve his accuracy. Always a good plan. His new throwing motion should help with that....long term. To start this season though he might have to take a step back before he leaps forward. He has major work to do on his throwing motion and footwork. I care more about getting these right than I do about winning week one. Tons of faith in CW. He'll get it.

1 person likes this

I advise patience with Wentz. He wants to improve his accuracy. Always a good plan. His new throwing motion should help with that....long term. To start this season though he might have to take a step back before he leaps forward. He has major work to do on his throwing motion and footwork. I care more about getting these right than I do about winning week one. Tons of faith in CW. He'll get it.

Improving accuracy is great when he IS accurate,he needs people who can catch the ball

1 person likes this

He has a big leap to make for sure. Did I see someone mention that he only did footwork and nothing with mechanics this off season?

Not really sold on mechanics changes.Sometimes it ruins a perfectly good QB

3 people like this

Torry Smith has a reputation for drops. After the problems with the WRs last year I suspect both he and Ags won't get any slack from the Eagles fans.

Depends,where these "catchable" balls? I couldn't catch one either if it hits me in the back of my helmet lol

3 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Depends,where these "catchable" balls? I couldn't catch one either if it hits me in the back of my helmet lol

*were

Lost "in the shuffle" regarding Wentz's arm mechanics and footwork: as he's repeatedly shown, especially earlier in the season, before his WR's forgot how to catch, is his Peytonesque ability to take command , both before (reading defenses) and during the play. We honestly have NEVER seen this in an Eagle QB, except for maybe Van Brocklin. Both Cunningham and McNabb were incredible athletes, but couldn't come close to taking charge. I was really impressed last season, and once his mechanics are improved, the sky's the limit. As of now, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB, except for maybe Rodgers. We'll see how incredibly lucky we are soon.

Luck had zero to do with it.Our FO saw a franchise QB and made the moves to get him.Let's hope that continues

2 people like this

Mechanics changes.A guy who really comes to mind here was Vinny Testaverde.He was a sidearm thrower and they tried to change him and things got worse.Once they let him play his game he had some success.All I am saying is improve what you got the guy to do,throw the ball.if you are unhappy with what you see him do in college as far as mechanics,draft someone else.Most serious QB's will work on that themselves to be the best they can be.The problems come when you try and force them to be someone they are not

1 person likes this

Kelce had a lot to do with reading D's as well, a very smart player. A lot of people don't understand that besides the QB - for us last yr a rookie - the C is the smartest guy on the field. Would like to see him help Wentz another yr, during which we'll find out if Seu is capable.

As for Wentz - please hold the ball up! In striving to save tenths of a second and protecting the ball, this drives me nuts! Glad he got to work on his footwork, can't wait to see it.

I've seen a lot of complaining about Kelce and TBT he is weak with pass rushes up the middle BUT I've never seen a center that can get to the edge and run block like he can.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I'm talking about the balls that were on target and just flat dropped.

Remember guys, Peyton Manning kinda sucked his rookie year

2 people like this

Remember guys, Peyton Manning kinda sucked his rookie year

:)

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I'm talking about the balls that were on target and just flat dropped.

Well we're already used to that.Where did you get those figures that show that about Smith?

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I've seen a lot of complaining about Kelce and TBT he is weak with pass rushes up the middle BUT I've never seen a center that can get to the edge and run block like he can.

Good "field general" but he is a tad on the small side.Uses his experience too offset that some

1 person likes this

Don't forget that Wentz is also athletic, willing to stand in and take a hit, fearless trying to gain extra yards, all while keeping his eyes down field. Wentz has a lot to offer the eagles. I hope he can improve his mechanics, but accuracy (which I thought wasn't horrible) usually comes with chemistry and anticipation. He does need to hold the ball higher though, and be a two handed monster.

1 person likes this

All I was inferring was that Wentz will benefit from Kelce's experience for another yr, so will the team including Seu if he's the heir apparent. It's the smart move, not necessarily the one we'll do. We could try to trade him, put some bigger, inexperienced guy in there and leave it up to Wentz to read all these different D's. Then we'll find out just how good these b/u QB's are.

1 person likes this