DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Or Defense For Draft Weekend?

170 posts in this topic

DVR's Up to the Minute. They're saying Browns take Garrett at 1 but may have to move up over the Bills to get their QB. If that plays out then at least 2 QB's go before us. Then there's the Jets, doubt 49ers go QB at 2. So from "no 1st rd QB's in this draft" to 2-3 going before us - nice! Get that QB run going early!

2 people like this

Add AZ into the QB mix

Anyone who thinks Gronks' "interrupting" of Spiceys' press conference wasn't planned is pretty gullible.

1 person likes this

The defense does have big glaring holes. But the offense Wentz can develop with over time. So any additions there could be longer lasting or more fruitful. The needs are many still all around so get some good players is the mantra.

Still wish JJones had traded up for Lynch instead of taking Dak, don't believe Romo could have made it thru the season

I am personally having a very hard time believing the Captain Douglas would consider Ross. Seems like a paper tiger. I am also not getting the Conley hype. Rd1 grade sure. Not at 14 though.

Ross is a pretty good rout runner besides being a burner, but think a reach at 14. I think there is enough talent at WR,CB,RB in this draft that they don't need to reach with the first pick at all.

Getting tired of looking at the draft as it really depends on how it plays out. Really hope there's a QB run and someone we didn't expect falls in our lap.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, C5Alumni said:

I am personally having a very hard time believing the Captain Douglas would consider Ross. Seems like a paper tiger. I am also not getting the Conley hype. Rd1 grade sure. Not at 14 though.

You have to consider getting some speed for the offense. I'm not that high on Ross either but acknowledge that are need is great. So we might have to slightly over pay even for it. Hopefully they wait until at least day two for that. Just no doubt in my mind that the biggest weakness for the offense last season was drops and no field stretching presence. Adding Torrey was a good start but you know that isn't all they need to do to address it. And that is something that can't wait.

As far as I'm concerned RB and a speed receiving option have to come out of this draft. 

It's a good C draft as well. And a T would be huge for us going forward.

I'd take a chance on that kid in round 7 or undrafted. Pretty good find there potentially '58.

See we had this guy in

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/4/19/15365722/nfl-draft-2017-shaquill-griffin-eagles-visits-cornerback-athletic-ucf-central-florida-philadelphia

Yeah, can't blow the late rds in this draft. Don't see us taking a WR in the top half of the draft, we could use one there's just no room.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting read;

Why Eagles may not like Connely

Mills was the 13th best CB in run support - which Schwartz values highly and Connely not so good at.

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/eagles-draft-targets-no-14-ohio-state-cb-gareon-conley

Learning to tackle is easy. Being able to cover isnt.

Learning is easy. Wanting to tackle maybe not so much.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  7 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting read;

Why Eagles may not like Connely

Mills was the 13th best CB in run support - which Schwartz values highly and Connely not so good at.

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/eagles-draft-targets-no-14-ohio-state-cb-gareon-conley

Learning to tackle is easy. Being able to cover isnt.

Learning is easy. Wanting to tackle maybe not so much.

Thats a key right there. The first step. Wanting to tackle. The technique part is easy. But you gotta want to tackle first. Peeps are scared coz they either dont know how to or afraid they will fail if they do.

1 person likes this

How about a WR that catches EVERYTHING thrown to him? Im so sick of the drops by agholor, mathews et al

1 person likes this

Cook that would be refreshing. But we need speed. A legitimate threat. A guy who catches would be great but that isn't keeping opposing S from playing forward.  Last season there was no reason for a defender to move backwards at all. They all were playing forward looking into the backfield. That hurts the offense badly. Need a little pressure off the RBs. It would also be nice to not give so many blitz options to the enemy.

The comments that have been made suggest to me offense because they want to build up around Wentz. But certainly the greater need at this time is defense so it's a tough one.

I do worry a little that Jeffery is on a one year deal. Matthews is up for an extension at the end of this season or he's testing FA and we really have no idea what to expect from Smith plus to cut him costs us next to nothing.

Obviously we can hope that these things will work out for us. That Jeffery is a stud like we all hope and gets a really good deal. We hope that Smith gives us that deep threat and for a pretty team friendly deal can remain. And we hope that Matthews contract negotiations go well and that again it works to our favour. But that's a lot of hoping.

I think we should either go RB or corner. And as I don't think we will go RB it should really be corner but who knows. Nothing at this point would surprise me and bottom line? We need players to make an impact.

With 8 picks I'd be happy with 5 defense and 3 offense. Maybe even 6 defense! And maybe we make some trades to pick up extra picks. 

16 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Well Mixon is off the Eagles board now.

Report: Eagles interested in Joe Mixon if he falls to 2nd round:

Joe Mixon may not be off the Philadelphia Eagles draft board as originally thought. 

According to Josh Norris of Rotoworld, the Eagles may still be in play to draft Mixon if he falls to the second round of next week's NFL Draft. The Eagles are one of five teams to have done "a ton of homework" on Mixon,along with the Raiders,Bengals,Saints,and Vikings.

Eagles general manger Howie Roseman apparently got the "go-ahead" from owner Jeffrey Lurie to draft Mixon, contrary from an earlier report Wednesday stating Mixon was off the team's draft board.…………………………☟

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Eagles-interested-in-Joe-Mixon-if-he-falls-to-2nd-round-52382236

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

So Mixon not off the board lol Oh the mind games we play.

Sorry FREAK,posted that Mixon isn't off B4 I saw your post here. ☺

1 person likes this

@UK_EaglesFan89-I had the same gut feeling (as long as no trades) that the Draft would consist of 5 'D' & 3 'O' and fill in the blanks to = 90 w/UDFA's.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Agreed.I have Conley in there also.A bit worried about Jones,will he come back as the player he was? Sometimes they can,sometimes not and why I put Wilson in there,but either would be fine.I also really like Moreau alot.His combine numbers were first rate,but feel he will go somewhere between 14 and 43 :( if he's there at 43,there is no question I pull that trigger lol

I seen your Al Davis like breakdown last article. I want a guy that can flat out play not a athletic guy that is a star on paper. I do like Moreau but some of the other guys you mentioned I wouldn't be interested in. I am not really worried about Jones injury most players come back from them these days as just as good as they were before and he is young so I think his body will bounce back fast.

LOL I stated that it was only a numbers exercise and there were many more variables.Was just fun to do and there were a few surprises in there

See we had this guy in

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/4/19/15365722/nfl-draft-2017-shaquill-griffin-eagles-visits-cornerback-athletic-ucf-central-florida-philadelphia

Yeah, can't blow the late rds in this draft. Don't see us taking a WR in the top half of the draft, we could use one there's just no room.

OHHH "somebody" mentioned Griifin(dunno who that was- wink wink)

How about a WR that catches EVERYTHING thrown to him? Im so sick of the drops by agholor, mathews et al

We have Turner lol