DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Or Defense For Draft Weekend?

170 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:
  47 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well we think the same then.The D needs some fresh blood/new toyz and I am fine with RB Conner in round 5 and Choen in 6 followed by a WR with raw talent we can bring along in Robert Davis and a few WR UDFA's such as underrated Travin Dural(numbers suffered because they had this little know RB named FOURNETTE lol)

I'm not necessarily all about taking a RB that late but then I'm also not against it. I'm not all about taking a WR that late but again I'm not against it. I'm kind of happy to see how things fall out although there are some needs that have to be addressed. 

Conner was a lock 2/3 before his cancer bout.In 5 I believe that to be an outstanding value

Plenty of UDFA WR's with raw talent.They are gonna sit anyway.So you draft Davis,who are you benching for him other than JMatt?

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  35 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:
  50 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well we think the same then.The D needs some fresh blood/new toyz and I am fine with RB Conner in round 5 and Choen in 6 followed by a WR with raw talent we can bring along in Robert Davis and a few WR UDFA's such as underrated Travin Dural(numbers suffered because they had this little know RB named FOURNETTE lol)

I'm not necessarily all about taking a RB that late but then I'm also not against it. I'm not all about taking a WR that late but again I'm not against it. I'm kind of happy to see how things fall out although there are some needs that have to be addressed. 

Conner was a lock 2/3 before his cancer bout.In 5 I believe that to be an outstanding value

Plenty of UDFA WR's with raw talent.They are gonna sit anyway.So you draft Davis,who are you benching for him other than JMatt?

In other words,you want to pay round 1 money for a guy who is riding pine? Nah,we gotta be smarter than that lol

Thinking again-always dangerous.Would you trade down with Denver(and a player) for Talib??? Solid starting CB which we would have to draft(a rook though) anyway.Maybe they could use RMatt in a back-up/relief role.That would give us Talib and then losing Rmatt would give us the cap to get say Blount or Jamal Charles

Thinking again-always dangerous.Would you trade down with Denver(and a player) for Talib??? Solid starting CB which we would have to draft(a rook though) anyway.Maybe they could use RMatt in a back-up/relief role.That would give us Talib and then losing Rmatt would give us the cap to get say Blount or Jamal Charles

(If we can afford to pay Talib HAHA)

Talib's 31 yrs old there GB, nearing the end my friend. Funny how this draft is winding up. We originally thought we could drop back for Connely, now he may be the 1st CB off the board.

Charles Harris is growing on me, augh!

Like a wart?

1 person likes this

I've come to the point where I'm just glad Douglas in in charge of the board and that Howie knows he really needs to nail this draft and is relinquishing some control, being inclusive. There's simply no way to know how the draft will unfold but it's been fun debating the early choices. Rds 4 - 7 and even udfa are really important and will be very telling. I want high value targets in the late rds, they'll help build out future.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm looking forward to next week. As I see it, this is a make or break draft for the Eagles--since it looks like it's going to be a great year at the positions where the Eagles most need help--such as CB, RB, LB, and DE.

After somewhat focusing on the offense in free agency--except for the Jerningan trade (& the Long & Robinson pick ups), I expect the Eagles will now focus more on the defense in the draft--except for RB, where they have little choice but to draft 2 RBs in order to find a long term solution at #1 RB (assuming they let Matthews go)--since they didn't do so in FA.

Clearly, the 2017 season will be in jeopardy if they don't also find 2 top tier starting CBs and add more promising depth at both CB & S. Therefore, I agree with Malcolm Jenkins who said that the Eagles must draft CBs in the first two rounds, since they can't afford to wait & lose out--not with this promising group of CBs, who will likely get heavily picked over in the early rounds (that is, unless one of the players projected to go in the top 10 unexpectedly remains on the board at #14--such as Foster or Fournette). I wish it wasn't so, but that's the hole the Eagles have dug for themselves by foolishly trading away CB Eric Rowe last year.

The Eagles could also use another LB or two, especially if they plan to use Kendricks as trade bait. In addition, Tulloch recently announced his retirement, so the Eagles must now find a new back up behind Hicks as well. For me, all of the above concerns are more pressing than finding another edge rusher, since some combination of Means, Curry, Long, and Smith (& perhaps McCallister?), should be able to get the job done at DE. Although of course, like others, I too would love to see the Eagles draft one of the more promising edge rushers in this year's draft.

Which is why choosing Demarcus Walker in the 3rd round makes good sense: since the Eagles can solve both DE & OLB deficiencies with one pick, being that Walker is an exciting edge rusher (& solid run stopper), and yet is quick enough to play OLB too. That would give coach Schwartz an attractive flexibility heading into training camp, as well as free up our first two picks to address much greater needs.

The Eagles should also consider T.J. Watt as well, as a possible LB pick, if he lasts beyond the 1st round, along with possibly LB Jaylen-Reeves Maybin in rounds 6 or 7 (and what about LB Ironhead Gallon as an un-drafted pick?).

As for the Eagles' CB picks--I most like Humphrey, K. King, and Awuzie (& maybe Conley, Lewis, & Moreau), and think Tankersley, Jackson, & Lampkin show strong developmental potential.

As for RBs, I'd actually take three RBs in this year's draft!--Mixon (who's arguably the most complete back in the draft), Perine (who's arguably the most difficult bruiser to tackle after Fournette), and Cohen (who shows the most impressive combination of speed & quickness, along with excellent ball skills, and IMO, is the most promising back to become Sproles replacement in 2018). However, in order to draft all three RBs plus 2-3 top CBs, the Eagles will have to trade back in the first round in order to acquire an extra 2nd round pick. If they don't do so, and end up missing out on Mixon and/or Perine, the focus should then switch to James Conner in the 4th round (& Cohen).

It doesn't get talked about much, but this team could really use more quickness & speed at RB & WR (& CB)--especially with Sproles retiring--which is why drafting Cohen is a very good idea. They should also be considering one of the 'late round' speedsters at WR such as K.D. Cannon, Kermit Whitfield, and Victor Boldin Jr., as well as possibly RB Khalfani Mohammad (as a un-drafted player?). Though hopefully the acquisition of Torrey Smith in FA will give them some of the additional speed they need (& Treggs will show improvement too). As for Corey Davis, if he's not working out by now, as promised (after his unnecessary 'rushed' surgery), I think there's a good possibility that his surgery wasn't a total success, as was expected, and that Davis may be damaged goods--at least for next year.

Being that this is a super strong draft year, obviously the more picks the Eagles can acquire the better--especially when you consider how many important gaps they have to fill in order to become a more complete team. Which is why I think it would be a smart move to trade back in the 1st round for an additional 2nd round pick (unless Foster is available at #14), and also make a trade to get their early 3rd round pick back, which they lost in the Jerningan trade (by trading JMatt or Kendricks?). As I see it, the 2nd & 3rd rounds are the heart of this year's draft, as there are an unusual number of players expected to go in those rounds that could arguably be 1st or 2nd round picks in other years--especially with such players as Sidney Jones, Joe Mixon, and Corey Davis (if there is indeed a post-surgery problem) likely going in the 2nd. I also think there are going to be some great picks (& values) to be had in the mid to late rounds, for the team that is smart enough to spot them--such as Samaje Perine, Demarcus Walker, JuJu Smith-Schuster & Chris Godwin possibly in the 3rd & 4th rounds, and Tarik Cohen, K.D. Cannon, ArDarius Stewart, Amara Darboh, Carlos Henderson, Keevan Lucas, Xavier Woods, Orion Smith, Isaac Asiata, Nazair Jones, Jaylen-Reeves Smith, and Ashton Lampkin, etc., in later rounds.

Edited by MrSimpson
additions, correction
1 person likes this

21 hours ago, C5Alumni said:

I am personally having a very hard time believing the Captain Douglas would consider Ross. Seems like a paper tiger. I am also not getting the Conley hype. Rd1 grade sure. Not at 14 though.

You have to consider getting some speed for the offense. I'm not that high on Ross either but acknowledge that are need is great. So we might have to slightly over pay even for it. Hopefully they wait until at least day two for that. Just no doubt in my mind that the biggest weakness for the offense last season was drops and no field stretching presence. Adding Torrey was a good start but you know that isn't all they need to do to address it. And that is something that can't wait.

I'll go further... our weakness since 2005 has been not being able to score in the red zone ... so I would prefer a WR threat that can do that. Forget the field stretcher for the moment as we had that with DeSean ... look at the playoff wins. NE doens't have a field stretcher ... I believe pur fans need to get out of the Andy Reid Bronze medal philosophy, still too much of that crap going on here with the obsession of "style"

Talib's 31 yrs old there GB, nearing the end my friend. Funny how this draft is winding up. We originally thought we could drop back for Connely, now he may be the 1st CB off the board.

yeah but hey a super nice fix for 1-2 years while we get new trained

I've come to the point where I'm just glad Douglas in in charge of the board and that Howie knows he really needs to nail this draft and is relinquishing some control, being inclusive. There's simply no way to know how the draft will unfold but it's been fun debating the early choices. Rds 4 - 7 and even udfa are really important and will be very telling. I want high value targets in the late rds, they'll help build out future.

yep,why I have Nazair Jones(thanks DWD),xavier woods in 4 Conner and Cohen in 5,6 respectively and Robert Jones(or another WR of choice) in 7.AND I would really like to pick up Travin Dural and Lampkin(CB).if we do not got CB 1/2 then I would suggest snagging Griffin somewhere later

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:
  21 hours ago, C5Alumni said:

I am personally having a very hard time believing the Captain Douglas would consider Ross. Seems like a paper tiger. I am also not getting the Conley hype. Rd1 grade sure. Not at 14 though.

You have to consider getting some speed for the offense. I'm not that high on Ross either but acknowledge that are need is great. So we might have to slightly over pay even for it. Hopefully they wait until at least day two for that. Just no doubt in my mind that the biggest weakness for the offense last season was drops and no field stretching presence. Adding Torrey was a good start but you know that isn't all they need to do to address it. And that is something that can't wait.

I'll go further... our weakness since 2005 has been not being able to score in the red zone ... so I would prefer a WR threat that can do that. Forget the field stretcher for the moment as we had that with DeSean ... look at the playoff wins. NE doens't have a field stretcher ... I believe pur fans need to get out of the Andy Reid Bronze medal philosophy, still too much of that crap going on here with the obsession of "style"

Yep dudes like Wes Welker only did one thing,make the CLUTCH catches when if counted.Turner may become that.great hands,really needs to work on his speed.Slow,but he manages to get open

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:
  22 hours ago, C5Alumni said:

They do now Cooks😧

1 person likes this

Rumor - Gnats start out vs cowpies wk 1, us wk 3 and 15. Place your bets it's us vs cowpies wk 16.

Lots of superbowls won with Cooks!

Welker, Edlemen, Gronk ... etc. They all get open near the goal line

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Good am Stine. Mixon is troubling. We all saw the video, now there was another one back in highschool, shows a trend and character I don't want. The girl he hit in the video is a doper what's he doing around people like that? Someone's going to get a good player, but for how long? Too bad the cowpies need so much secondary, pass rush and linemen, perfect player for their all prison team.

The guy that claimed the high school story later recanted it as well so who knows if it actually happened 

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

You didn't like him when I mocked him to us lol 

5 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Good am Stine. Mixon is troubling. We all saw the video, now there was another one back in highschool, shows a trend and character I don't want. The girl he hit in the video is a doper what's he doing around people like that? Someone's going to get a good player, but for how long? Too bad the cowpies need so much secondary, pass rush and linemen, perfect player for their all prison team.

The guy that claimed the high school story later recanted it as well so how knows if it actually happened 

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

You didn't like him when I mocked him to us lol 

So noone on this board was ever young and stupid? Guess I am alone then.he has a good future and seemed truly remorse for his actions.So,while I do not condone hitting women i can also say I have been attacked with knives by them.So I will not cast the first stone.Kid is now an adult,any repeat performances by him and he goes to jail

1 person likes this

Welker, Edlemen, Gronk ... etc. They all get open near the goal line

1 key thing Brady! Our WRs can get open just like Ags does but we dont have a good QB since McNabb was here.

Peeps bringing up the speed thing coz S playing closer congesting the routes n traffic. Tighter windows.

Patriots are balanced all round. From the type of player on O to a dominant D.

Wow... Brady... Brady ... Brady. Watch his highlights near the gola line, the WRs can get open in a phone booth. Very rarely is it due to a great throw... or even a good throw. Gronk is just a lob pass. Forget McNabb ... T.O. was the guy who could get open in a phone booth, Chad Lewis was good at it... we haven't had one since. Alshon does it too, lets hope he continues that here. MY POINT .. this obsession with DeSean and the "speed guys" why? What was the proven success of those glory years since 2008? Sure, I would love to have a fast guy ... I would much rather have a guy that changes things near the goal line. Difference between 3 and 7 points. Much rather have a guy on 3rd and 7 that I know can get open quickly to counter the other team's blitz. The deep pass looks pretty ... but its a route that takes time and doesn't mean a thing once you get in the red zone, this is the area where our opponents like to blitz us because we have no threat to get open one on one on a constant basis.

1 person likes this

All true Joemas, but the deep threat does keep the D honest and opens other options with higher completion %. Brady doesn't go deep that often, lots of short and mid-range stuff, esp to TE's, something Wentz needs to develop as he didn't see a lot of that in college. So to have burners is great, having an Alshon at the same time even better.

1 person likes this

Wow... Brady... Brady ... Brady. Watch his highlights near the gola line, the WRs can get open in a phone booth. Very rarely is it due to a great throw... or even a good throw. Gronk is just a lob pass. Forget McNabb ... T.O. was the guy who could get open in a phone booth, Chad Lewis was good at it... we haven't had one since. Alshon does it too, lets hope he continues that here. MY POINT .. this obsession with DeSean and the "speed guys" why? What was the proven success of those glory years since 2008? Sure, I would love to have a fast guy ... I would much rather have a guy that changes things near the goal line. Difference between 3 and 7 points. Much rather have a guy on 3rd and 7 that I know can get open quickly to counter the other team's blitz. The deep pass looks pretty ... but its a route that takes time and doesn't mean a thing once you get in the red zone, this is the area where our opponents like to blitz us because we have no threat to get open one on one on a constant basis.

You talk the same stuff all the time Joe n talk about the end goal instead of the road to that goal. How do you expect to get the EZ? Lol We had those players that got us to the playoffs you talk about the result of the playoff how did we get there? We needed tweaks not an overhaul that Chip did.

I wont forget McNabb coz he is the best QB we have ever had period. T.O was a beast the missing link. Have we replaced either of them? No we try something totally different. Just need a tweak here n there not reset all the time.