DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Or Defense For Draft Weekend?

170 posts in this topic

Big scoring will only win up to a certain level, need D to win the tough ones. They have no secondary and lost linemen. Doubt they can shore it all up this yr.

1 person likes this

I've said a number of times that the NFL can manipulate the schedule to make it easier for some teams.
With this in mind the Eagles don't play anyone coming off their Bye AND they play the Cowpies on a Thursday night after THEIR bye.

It's still a tough schedule. Could the Eagles having the wholesome, all American boy as their QB help them out?

1 person likes this

Now just rent a place where alarms aren't pulled at night

New thread

Big scoring will only win up to a certain level, need D to win the tough ones. They have no secondary and lost linemen. Doubt they can shore it all up this yr.

Yeah everyone wrote the belles off other years 2,but they always manage to be there.Hate the belles,but still have to respect Garrett.he gets his players to PLAY

I've said a number of times that the NFL can manipulate the schedule to make it easier for some teams.
With this in mind the Eagles don't play anyone coming off their Bye AND they play the Cowpies on a Thursday night after THEIR bye.

It's still a tough schedule. Could the Eagles having the wholesome, all American boy as their QB help them out?

Who do you consider "tough"?.At least they can stay out west for a week which should help them not be tired flying back and forth

13 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Who do you consider "tough"?.At least they can stay out west for a week which should help them not be tired flying back and forth

2 trips to the left coast. Could have been 3 if the NFL hadn't scheduled back to back games out there.

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  22 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

2 trips to the left coast. Could have been 3 if the NFL hadn't scheduled back to back games out there.

New blurb.Glad the NFL did that.In all fairness they pretty much had to lol

9 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

I'm looking forward to next week. As I see it, this as a make or break draft for the Eagles--since it looks like it's going to be a great year at the positions where the Eagles most need help--such as CB, RB, LB, and DE.

After somewhat focusing on the offense in free agency--except for the Jerningan trade (& the Long & Robinson pick ups), I expect the Eagles will now focus more on the defense in the draft--except for RB, where they have little choice but to draft 2 RBs in order to find a long term solution at #1 RB (assuming they let Matthews go)--since they didn't do so in FA.

Clearly, the 2017 season will be in jeopardy if they don't also find 2 top tier starting CBs and add more promising depth at both CB & S. Therefore, I agree with Malcolm Jenkins who said that the Eagles must draft CBs in the first two rounds, since they can't afford to wait & lose out--not with this promising group of CBs, who will likely get heavily picked over in the early rounds (that is, unless one of the players projected to go in the top 10 unexpectedly remains on the board at #14--such as Foster or Fournette). I wish it wasn't so, but that's the big hole the Eagles have dug for themselves by foolishly trading away CB Eric Rowe last year.

The Eagles could also use another LB or two, especially if they plan to use Kendricks as trade bait. In addition, Tulloch recently announced his retirement, so the Eagles must now find a new back up behind Hicks as well. For me, all of the above concerns are more pressing than finding another edge rusher, since some combination of Means, Curry, Long, and Smith (& perhaps McCallister?), should be able to get the job done at DE. Although of course, like others, I too would love to see the Eagles draft one of the more promising edge rushers in this year's draft.

Which is why choosing Demarcus Walker in the 3rd round makes good sense: since the Eagles can solve both DE & OLB deficiencies with one pick, being that Walker is an exciting edge rusher (& solid run stopper), and yet is quick enough to play OLB too. That would give coach Schwartz an attractive flexibility heading into training camp, as well as free up our first two picks to address much greater needs.

The Eagles should also consider T.J. Watt as well, as a possible LB pick, if he lasts beyond the 1st round, along with possibly LB Jaylen-Reeves Maybin in rounds 6 or 7 (and what about LB Ironhead Gallon as an un-drafted pick?).

As for the Eagles' CB picks--I most like Humphrey, K. King, and Awuzie (& maybe Conley, Lewis, & Moreau), and think Tankersley, Jackson, & Lampkin show strong developmental potential.

As for RBs, I'd actually take three RBs in this year's draft!--Mixon (who's arguably the most complete back in the draft), Perine (who's arguably the most difficult bruiser to tackle after Fournette), and Cohen (who shows the most impressive combination of speed & quickness, along with excellent ball skills, and IMO, is the most promising back to become Sproles replacement in 2018). However, in order to draft all three RBs plus 2-3 top CBs, the Eagles will have to trade back in the first round in order to acquire an extra 2nd round pick. If they don't do so, and end up missing out on Mixon and/or Perine, the focus should then switch to James Conner in the 4th round (& Cohen).

It doesn't get talked about much, but this team could really use more ultra-quickness & speed at RB & WR (& CB)--especially with Sproles retiring--which is why drafting Cohen is a very good idea. They should also be considering one of the 'late round' speedsters at WR such as K.D. Cannon, Kermit Whitfield, and Victor Boldin Jr., as well as possibly RB Khalfani Mohammad (as a un-drafted player?). Though hopefully the acquisition of Torrey Smith in FA will give them some of the additional speed they need (& Treggs will show improvement too). As for Corey Davis, if he's not working out by now, as promised (after his unnecessary 'rushed' surgery), I think there's a good possibility that his surgery wasn't a total success, as was expected, and that Davis may be damaged goods--at least for next year.

Being that this is a super strong draft year, obviously the more picks the Eagles can acquire the better--especially when you consider how many important gaps they have to fill in order to become a more complete team. Which is why I think it would be a smart move to trade back in the 1st round for an additional 2nd round pick (unless Foster is available at #14), and also make a trade to get their early 3rd round pick back, which they lost in the Jerningan trade (by trading JMatt or Kendricks?). As I see it, the 2nd & 3rd rounds are the heart of this year's draft, as there are an unusual number of players expected to go in those rounds that could arguably be 1st or 2nd round picks in other years--especially with such players as Sidney Jones, Joe Mixon, and Corey Davis (if there is indeed a post-surgery problem) likely going in the 2nd. I also think there are going to be some great picks (& values) to be had in the mid to late rounds, for the team that is smart enough to spot them--such as Samaje Perine, Demarcus Walker, JuJu Smith-Schuster & Chris Godwin possibly in the 3rd & 4th rounds, and Tarik Cohen, K.D. Cannon, ArDarius Stewart, Amara Darboh, Carlos Henderson, Keevan Lucas, Xavier Woods, Orion Smith, Isaac Asiata, Nazair Jones, Jaylen-Reeves Smith, and Ashton Lampkin, etc., in later rounds.

WOW, You really do your homework! I hope the Eagles draft staff read these posts- IF YOU GUYS DO- FLAG THIS ONE AND KEEP IT ON YOUR FLASH DRIVE on draft night !!! Nice work, Mr. Simpson, You've given ME alot of research material- It works for me! (except for my passion to keep Haason Reddick in Philly)...

1 person likes this

Thanks, guys, for welcoming a "newbie"... I felt like an outsider til I noticed GreenbeedinFl, ASG15,mjkline1958, you all are far away from "The Vet"...  I married a "latina princess" with 3 sons and she talked me into moving here to Cali... Of course I've still been a diehard Eagles fan, but her sons, and all 8 grandkids wear Eagles jerseys and face tattoos for every game! My stepson Chris owns a crosstraining facility in Bismarck, ND where Wentz trained, and 50,000 acres where Wentz hunts! But, living near Fresno, I helped paint the checkerboard endzone for Bulldog Stadium to get sideline passes, where I watched Ryan Mathews, Davante Adams, David Carr, and Derek Carr working out with Fresno State since he was 13 years old! Naturally, following his career now with the Raiders, soon to be the Las Vegas Raiders, is exciting to me. The NFL Channel pundits are predicting Haason Reddick to go to the Raiders- I want him to wear "Hunter Green"

2 people like this

9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I'll go further... our weakness since 2005 has been not being able to score in the red zone ... so I would prefer a WR threat that can do that. Forget the field stretcher for the moment as we had that with DeSean ... look at the playoff wins. NE doens't have a field stretcher ... I believe pur fans need to get out of the Andy Reid Bronze medal philosophy, still too much of that crap going on here with the obsession of "style"

Great NE just has Tom Brady. So if we can just duplicate the greatest accuracy QB that reads defense's flawlessly we won't need a speedy receiving option. Otherwise probably going to need defense's to respect some kind of deep threat.

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Wow... Brady... Brady ... Brady. Watch his highlights near the gola line, the WRs can get open in a phone booth. Very rarely is it due to a great throw... or even a good throw. Gronk is just a lob pass. Forget McNabb ... T.O. was the guy who could get open in a phone booth, Chad Lewis was good at it... we haven't had one since. Alshon does it too, lets hope he continues that here. MY POINT .. this obsession with DeSean and the "speed guys" why? What was the proven success of those glory years since 2008? Sure, I would love to have a fast guy ... I would much rather have a guy that changes things near the goal line. Difference between 3 and 7 points. Much rather have a guy on 3rd and 7 that I know can get open quickly to counter the other team's blitz. The deep pass looks pretty ... but its a route that takes time and doesn't mean a thing once you get in the red zone, this is the area where our opponents like to blitz us because we have no threat to get open one on one on a constant basis.

Of coarse goaline is important. Not sure you can argue for only one. You need a speed option to stretch defenses AND you need redzone options. I never saw it as an either /or. You need both.

3 hours ago, Buckskinner54 said:

I feel all alone on an island here... I've been a diehard Eagles fan since my dad took me to see them at Franklin Field in 1960. I've seen the GREATS who BLED GREEN on the frozen fields. I want to see the City of Philadelphia being honored in the 14th pick of the 2017 draft by selecting  our hometown hero HAASON REDDICK. As the draft draws closer, his demand draws closer to the Eagle's "#14"... This man is already a living legend and BELONGS in Philly. MY GOD, Can you IMAGINE how hard he'll play under the watchful eye of Sir Brian Dawkins? Reddick could play ANY position on the field, offense OR defense, and whoever he's got his sights set on is gonna be a "deer in the headlights". WTF? Am I alone? ONE WEEK LEFT !

Great looking LB. probably tops on the board with great versatility

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Seems to me Andy is about the same as he was here.Good solid team,but cannot win the big ones lol

He's been on the verge of contention with Alex Smith at QB. Are you kidding me? His All Pro S had to step away after a cancer diagnosis. Unbelievable coaching job.

1 person likes this

I'm glad that our BYE is wk.10 this season instead of being early like it was last year in wk.3. ☺

2 people like this

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

if you take Davis,whom do you stick on the bench? jMatt?

I don't understand why you keep going back to Davis? Because at no point have I said that we should draft Davis... 

Ask yourself, is it really just a coincidence that the story about Joe Mixon hitting a girl back in high school--which is old news and turned out to be false, since the accuser recanted and has said Mixon wasn't involved in the altercation--surfaced again a mere week before the draft? I seriously doubt it. Obviously somebody is trying to drive Mixon's stock down further (such as an owner like Jerry Jones?). This is nothing but games.

Here's what Mixon's accuser recently said in response:

"I have recently learned that a comment I made about Joe Mixon on social media a few years ago is now receiving a lot of attention. I want to explain that comment and clarify that I do not believe Joe ever did anything to hurt my daughter”

"My daughter went to Freedom High School with Joe, and they have been friends for much of their lives. Once, when they were in school together, my daughter had a minor disagreement with some of her classmates that got blown out of proportion. Like any father would, I reacted emotionally. Unfortunately, I did so before I had all the facts. Now, having talked to my daughter and investigated the whole story, I realize that I WAS MISTAKEN ABOUT JOE'S INVOLVEMENT. I definitely overreacted, and I regret that my words might have given some people the wrong impression about Joe. I know that Joe did not hurt my daughter, did not intend to, and would not do so.

"Joe and my daughter are still good friends. Joe is a great kid with a bright future in front of him, and he is welcome in my home anytime."

I stand by my previous statement that Mixon is less of a risk than Dalvin Cook.

If the Eagles are smart enough to draft Mixon, Perine, and Cohen, their backfield will be set for years to come. On the other hand, if the Cowboy's (or Giants) take Mixon, Perine, or Cohen, in tandem with Elliott, their backfield is going to be a major problem for the Eagles for years to come.

Edited by MrSimpson
correction
1 person likes this

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He's been on the verge of contention with Alex Smith at QB. Are you kidding me? His All Pro S had to step away after a cancer diagnosis. Unbelievable coaching job.

I agree ... the way he manages the clock is like a 5 year old who doesn't understand the rules of football.... is unbelievable.  Much like McNabb not throwing an accurate 2 yard pass ... I don't think I will ever understand how this happens to people who obviously have talent in the harder aspects of their jobs?  It's like a track start not being able to tie their shoes?

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Of coarse goaline is important. Not sure you can argue for only one. You need a speed option to stretch defenses AND you need redzone options. I never saw it as an either /or. You need both.

You "NEED" bpth ... New England "needed" the speed WR?  Who are the better deep ball threats in the league?   How are their teams with success in regards to wins?   Deep ball is nice.... take D Thomas from Denver, or Dez or AJ Green or Julio.   They can run deep routes if needed.  They also make plays by out jumping, using position, running grat routes, breaking tackles ...etc.   The deep WR is definitely not a "need" like a red zone WR.   As confirmed by all those playoff wins by our own Eagles with DeSean, compared to New England over the same time frame.  Speed is  luxury.  Can obviously be used to an advantage, but goes away come the red zone.     

I don't understand these mock drafts having Eagles taken a receiver in first round. We need a tougher defense and then second round take a good running back. Use the rest on defense and pickup a receiver maybe 3rd or 4th round. Just tired of seeing teams like the Raiders improve and the Eagles regress.