Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gch

Mayocls draft report on Dak P.

55 posts in this topic

I really never read Dak's pre draft report by Mayock 2016. 

A few comments he made on Dak,

He was suppose to be drafted as a good backup at best. Bad pocket presents, needs work with mechanics and footwork. Had a good 2014 season and 2015 was not so good and maybe caused by protection. Needs time to become a more polished player. Accuracy issues throwing the deep ball. 5th. best QB in the draft,  Wentz was first and Goff was second  

Well so much for that report. 

Meh, you never know. One year doesn't tell the whole story of what they will end up becoming. Sometimes all those bad traits don't come around till year 2 when defenses get time to sit down and look at a whole year of tape. Sometimes those bad traits don't become true until there is some real adversity. Dak had a great rookie season no doubt but, everything they said bad about Wentz showed up mid season. 

If he keeps working to stay ahead of the pack he will be fine, if he decides he is content with what he did last year he will get killed. Same goes for Wentz. Plenty of QBs had 1 great year just to get blown up and become a back up QB the rest of their careers the next. 

2 people like this

Do you remember Nick Foles??

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, gch said:

I don't want to take too much away from Dak as what he did as a rookie last year was so so good. But look at what he had around him! He was really set up perfectly to succeed. 

A stud RB who carried the load behind the best o line in football. Good WRs with a star in Dez and a scheme that allowed Dak to do the simple things and focus on executing them well.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Meh, you never know. One year doesn't tell the whole story of what they will end up becoming. Sometimes all those bad traits don't come around till year 2 when defenses get time to sit down and look at a whole year of tape. Sometimes those bad traits don't become true until there is some real adversity. Dak had a great rookie season no doubt but, everything they said bad about Wentz showed up mid season. 

If he keeps working to stay ahead of the pack he will be fine, if he decides he is content with what he did last year he will get killed. Same goes for Wentz. Plenty of QBs had 1 great year just to get blown up and become a back up QB the rest of their careers the next. 

Oh I get what your saying it happens a lot. Mostly with 1st round picks as QB's and I would say that over 50% of them don't make it. You never hear much about 4th round picks until they have a year like Das did and then being a Cowboy it only adds to the pressure and hype. I was referring to the comits he made regarding Dak"s weaknesses which he has already proven he can handle. This year will be key for him to stay focused and know that he has to be ready just like you stated all teams have had the offseason to find ways exploit his weaknesses. 

2 minutes ago, gch said:

You never hear much about 4th round picks until they have a year like Das did and then being a Cowboy it only adds to the pressure and hype.

The funny thing for me is that teams are now scrambling to find their own  Dak in the middle rounds. Because the chances of it happening again so soon are so high right? :-)

6 minutes ago, gch said:

Oh I get what your saying it happens a lot. Mostly with 1st round picks as QB's and I would say that over 50% of them don't make it. You never hear much about 4th round picks until they have a year like Das did and then being a Cowboy it only adds to the pressure and hype. I was referring to the comits he made regarding Dak"s weaknesses which he has already proven he can handle. This year will be key for him to stay focused and know that he has to be ready just like you stated all teams have had the offseason to find ways exploit his weaknesses. 

It's funny cause they might show they can handle certain things one year but, can't the next. I've seen it to many times just to say a guy is gonna continue his success after one year. After year 2 I think we can see what we have. At least start to anyway

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

It's funny cause they might show they can handle certain things one year but, can't the next. I've seen it to many times just to say a guy is gonna continue his success after one year. After year 2 I think we can see what we have. At least start to anyway

Yeah I'd go with that. And really where does and can Dak go from last year? He completely exceeded expectations. He performed lights out football for the most part and looked at home in the Dallas offense. And yet that team still were one and done in the play offs. I think he will have a bit of a slip off from last year although it won't be a huge drop. Meanwhile I think Wentz improves and looks the better QB this year yet still knowing that he's got even more to bring. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't want to take too much away from Dak as what he did as a rookie last year was so so good. But look at what he had around him! He was really set up perfectly to succeed. 

A stud RB who carried the load behind the best o line in football. Good WRs with a star in Dez and a scheme that allowed Dak to do the simple things and focus on executing them well.

I agree he came into a great fit, but if you read the reports before the draft know one said he could start as a NFL QB. Regardless of his team around him he still has to make the plays with his feet for the first downs, fit the ball into tight spaces for his WR, stay calm under pressure, and win football games. He had a number of game winning drives in the 4th quarter that a lot of seasoned QB's couldn't do. He carried his team to wins when they thought they were done. He went head to head with the best QB in football and his defense came up short.

I believe he and Wentz will become very good QB's not talking about Brady or Rodgers because those two could be the best in history.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd go with that. And really where does and can Dak go from last year? He completely exceeded expectations. He performed lights out football for the most part and looked at home in the Dallas offense. And yet that team still were one and done in the play offs. I think he will have a bit of a slip off from last year although it won't be a huge drop. Meanwhile I think Wentz improves and looks the better QB this year yet still knowing that he's got even more to bring. 

I like that Wentz faced some adversity in his first year. I think he will be more prepared for it this year. I hate bringing his name up but, foles was put in great position in his first year with chip the minute things were not perfect around him you saw all the flaws that the scouts talked about when he was drafted from his playoff game with the saints then carried over into the second season. 

2 minutes ago, gch said:

I agree he came into a great fit, but if you read the reports before the draft know one said he could start as a NFL QB. Regardless of his team around him he still has to make the plays with his feet for the first downs, fit the ball into tight spaces for his WR, stay calm under pressure, and win football games. He had a number of game winning drives in the 4th quarter that a lot of seasoned QB's couldn't do. He carried his team to wins when they thought they were done. He went head to head with the best QB in football and his defense came up short.

I believe he and Wentz will become very good QB's not talking about Brady or Rodgers because those two could be the best in history.

I thought the Eagles finally rattled his cage that first game and I was like he is done!! Lol. I was impressed that in the fourth quarter he got it back together and brought them back. So I will give him credit there for sure

4 minutes ago, gch said:

but if you read the reports before the draft know one said he could start as a NFL QB. Regardless of his team around him he still has to make the plays with his feet for the first downs, fit the ball into tight spaces for his WR, stay calm under pressure, and win football games.

I don't disagree with you... And I don't want to take too much away from Dak because what he was able to do was incredible. But he was helped massively by the players around him. But I'll be honest, before we traded up to get Wentz Dak was one of the guys I wanted us to look at in the middle rounds. 

3 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I like that Wentz faced some adversity in his first year. I think he will be more prepared for it this year.

Absolutely buddy! I like that Wentz started so well, then had struggles as teams were able to study his tape more before then rebounding towards the end of the year.

I also like that he played well with one of the worst WR corps the NFL has ever seen. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I replayed the Green Bay and Dallas game a few days ago and Dak started a little slow and found himself down by 17 to Rodgers. Most would say that was the game. Our Defense was so bad against GB that they had no rush and he matched them down the field just about every drive. Remember most on here give Zeke and the OL most of the credit for last year so if thats so then Dak should have plenty of room to improve. Garrett is the type of coach that would give Dak a notebook full of things to work on this offseason and from what I have heard Dak is not satisfied and is the kind of kid that will pour himself into his craft.

8 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I thought the Eagles finally rattled his cage that first game and I was like he is done!! Lol. I was impressed that in the fourth quarter he got it back together and brought them back. So I will give him credit there for sure

I was like you I thought this kid could not recover from his play in the first 3 quarters. At that time of the season it was just a prayer that this kid could win a few games and maybe have a chance to be a starter.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree with you... And I don't want to take too much away from Dak because what he was able to do was incredible. But he was helped massively by the players around him. But I'll be honest, before we traded up to get Wentz Dak was one of the guys I wanted us to look at in the middle rounds. 

Absolutely buddy! I like that Wentz started so well, then had struggles as teams were able to study his tape more before then rebounding towards the end of the year.

I also like that he played well with one of the worst WR corps the NFL has ever seen. 

I like Wentz and think he has a chance to be really good, I also like him as a person. I love hunting, camping, and fishing and he would be a blast to hunt with. 

3 minutes ago, gch said:

I was like you I thought this kid could not recover from his play in the first 3 quarters. At that time of the season it was just a prayer that this kid could win a few games and maybe have a chance to be a starter.

I don't think people realize how important that Zeke and Dak are to each other. I don't mean just on the field, I think as far as picking each other up and getting prepared for games . They have each other to continue to grow. I hope the eagles get Wentz that guy this year 

Atlanta's 2016 draft was almost universally panned the day after. It turned out to be one of the top 3 drafts of the year with Dallas and San Diego in my opinion. Scouting reports are basically useless after the draft. You never know how a guy will react, train, or perform within a system. 

3 people like this

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM, whonewit said:

Do you remember Nick Foles??

And RG3

On 4/27/2017 at 5:40 PM, gch said:

I;am not going to take anything away from him mid round QBs succeed in the league. The best QB I have ever seen was drafted in the 3rd round Joe Montana. I understand were your coming from and Mayock is right to certain degree he didn't have the supporting cast he had the prior 2 years

Spoiler

e

On 4/27/2017 at 2:43 PM, gch said:

He was suppose to be drafted as a good backup at best. Bad pocket presents, needs work with mechanics and footwork. Had a good 2014 season and 2015 was not so good and maybe caused by protection. Needs time to become a more polished player. Accuracy issues throwing the deep ball. 5th. best QB in the draft,  Wentz was first and Goff was second  

Dak better get his present game up! I mean Wentz gave his boys shotguns...

Pew Pew mothaF!

On 4/27/2017 at 2:43 PM, gch said:

When you talk about Dak, you have to talk about Zeke. 

No Zeke, no Dak

On 4/27/2017 at 5:51 PM, gch said:

You mean outside of Derek Carr, right?  

6 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

Dak better get his present game up! I mean Wentz gave his boys shotguns...

Pew Pew mothaF!

Yep, Wentz bought his guys silver pigeon shotguns. Beretta makes one of the best over and unders. That was great gift. Now if your a Dallas Cowboy Ol you get a John Deere UTV and I'm guessing those value for around $8-9K each. Also Dak bought them I believe Yete coolers. Now Dak makes less then all of his OL, less then Zeke and much less then Wentz. All great gifts 

We will see how he does next year ..... I called it last year and was right ..... he looked like this A lot 

Image result for clueless gif

Actually, I thought prescott was close to pro-ready and would be drafted in the late 1st or 2nd round.  

He was extremely fortunate to be drafted by the cowpies.....who had the best offensive line, they had good receivers, a good TE, just drafted Elliot and they have a coach who is very good with teaching QBs.

Elliot performed and did what they asked him to do.  By all the measures, he was a top 5 QB.   

And actually, it didn't surprise me........I wanted the eagles to take him in the 2nd before they traded up for Wentz.  Prescott used the talent around him very well and he learned a ton without making a lot of mistakes.  Now that he's had a whole year in that offense he's in line to continue to improve.

Dallas's defense was nothing special last year, so if they make advances in their pass defense and turnovers, prescott numbers should improve even more working with shorter fields.  

Nothing about this post is good for the eagles.  :nonono::censored: