Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Five Experts Rate The Eagles' Draft Class

18 posts in this topic

The 2017 NFL Draft is in the books. The adage is that it takes a few years to rate a draft class, but we want instant analysis! Here are the perspectives from five analysts on what the Eagles acco...

View the full article

I would grade the Eagles with an A
2-3 players that could impact this yr. another that is sure to impact in future years.

2 people like this

One must grade the draft, other than the first 13 chosen, on how well or badly the Eagles did on passing up on ANYONE - they had, after all, a chance to select any one. However, the soon-to-be Eagles who WERE drafted seem awfully impressive!

2 people like this

I'm happy we didn't take anyone who may be serving jail time before minicamp, but this draft's grade is heavily influenced by what Sidney looks like in December. We either stole a top guy or threw away our second round pick. Not much inbetween on that one.

To be perfectly optimistic, the Eagles get an A. Joe Douglas was looking for playmakers as he drafted:
1. The next Trent Cole, a 260-lb DE who broke Reggie White’s sack record at Tennessee (Derek Barnett)
2. The next Eric Allen, who was the top CB in the draft (Sidney Jones)
3. The next Asante Samuel, who led the nation with 8 interceptions (Rasul Douglas)
4. The next Cris Carter, a 6’4” 210-lb TD-machine who averaged 20.6 yds/rec and a TD/4-recs (Mack Hollins)
5. The next Darren Sproles, a RB who broke Marshall Faulk’s rushing record at San Diego State (Donnell Pumphrey)
6. The next Jeremy Maclin, a 6’0” WR who averaged 22 yds/rec (Shelton Gibson)
7. The next Seth Joyner, a chiseled 6’2” LB-DB (Nathan Gerry)
8. The next Beau Allen, a run-stopping DT to backup Fletcher Cox (Elijah Qualls)

1 person likes this

I'm pretty happy with this draft. I think we will get at least a couple impact players out of this group and I think all have a legitimate chance to make the team. The only pick I didn't care for was Pumphrey. I just don't know how you pick him over Mack, McNichols or some of the other RB's that were available. We do have a log jam at WR now so Hollins and/or Gibson may end up on the PS unless we cut ties with DGB and Agholor.

just wanted to verify a signing of undrafted free agent Coc a Florida Gator Line backer, if they signed this kid, they got a real steal, he is a very good player high motor guy with a great future in the NFL !!! Please tell me yes, he was signed by the Eagles !!!

COX , his name is Cox !!!

We need to remember that we managed to get 1 proven NFL player AND a promising corner in the 3rd round. We traded back twenty-some picks for Timmy Jernigan, then used that 3rd round pick on Rasul Douglas. Basically two players for the price of one.

4 people like this

7 hours ago, Havenless said:

I'm happy we didn't take anyone who may be serving jail time before minicamp, but this draft's grade is heavily influenced by what Sidney looks like in December. We either stole a top guy or threw away our second round pick. Not much inbetween on that one.

I don't care how he looks in December I care how he looks next year. I expect him to look rusty this year. He will be coming off injury.  He is not able to train his body how he usually does and will take time to get up to game shape again, not to mention the speed difference between college to pros. I don't think we can truly grade him till next season.

6 hours ago, 3rd & 1 said:

To be perfectly optimistic, the Eagles get an A. Joe Douglas was looking for playmakers as he drafted:
1. The next Trent Cole, a 260-lb DE who broke Reggie White’s sack record at Tennessee (Derek Barnett)
3. The next Asante Samuel, who led the nation with 8 interceptions (Rasul Douglas)
4. The next Cris Carter, a 6’4” 210-lb TD-machine who averaged 20.6 yds/rec and a TD/4-recs (Mack Hollins)
5. The next Darren Sproles, a RB who broke Marshall Faulk’s rushing record at San Diego State (Donnell Pumphrey)
8. The next Beau Allen, a run-stopping DT to backup Fletcher Cox (Elijah Qualls)

I love your optimism but let's not pump the brakes and not compare some of the greats that have played here to anyone. I think we drafted some talented kids but this is not college and they all need work just to see the field.

2 people like this

I'm pretty happy with this draft. I think we will get at least a couple impact players out of this group and I think all have a legitimate chance to make the team. The only pick I didn't care for was Pumphrey. I just don't know how you pick him over Mack, McNichols or some of the other RB's that were available. We do have a log jam at WR now so Hollins and/or Gibson may end up on the PS unless we cut ties with DGB and Agholor.

PS? NOOOO Don't think so.We got these guys to replace other guys Hollins=lazy DGB replacement(aka big target).Gibson is too good a player to stick on the PS where another team could get to him and could easily take JMatts spot should we decide to trade him(last year of contract).This with the understanding they do ok in camp and the beauty here is we have both new WR's on 4 year rook contracts,which will help us with the cap situation.Going to be a fun competition in camp at this position

1 person likes this

We need to remember that we managed to get 1 proven NFL player AND a promising corner in the 3rd round. We traded back twenty-some picks for Timmy Jernigan, then used that 3rd round pick on Rasul Douglas. Basically two players for the price of one.

Nice job too of trading back later,losing the 7th pick for an extra 6(remember Brady was a 6 pick lol)

We entered the off season needing a true #1 WR, two starting CBs for the long term future, and an improved pass rush. It appears we've accomplished all of it. There's a good chance we can have a dominating defensive line right away, especially when it comes to rushing the passer. How improved the CB play will be in 2017 remains a question mark, but the better pass rush will help and Douglas may become an immediate starter. Mills, CJ Smith, and Grymes will be in their second year too, so it's reasonable to expect an upgrade. Offensively, the WR position will be night and day better and the line is much more stable and extremely deep. If Wentz can be more consistently accurate and improve his playmaking ability in the red zone and late in close games there's no telling how good we can be and how far we can go this year. We will have an unstoppable offense if the QB becomes elite. With Jones stepping in once he's able to the defense has a chance to be dominating too. Everything depends on Carson's growth, but it certainly is exciting to imagine the possibilities.

Still don't know about the running back position...when you handle the ball as much as a running back...you might think...this position would have a little more priority...Do we have solid backs like the Cowboys, Redskins etc...we have two or three smaller slot backs...don't we need a bigger back with some POWER?

Posted (edited)

I don't think this was a great draft for the Eagles. The reason being they didn't fully address several of their most pressing needs for 2017--that is, two starting CBs, with added depth at that position, a #1 & #2 RB, and a strong back up safety behind Jenkins & McLeod (since Watkins didn't get the job done last year). If either Jenkins or McLeod gets injured this year, the Eagles' defense will be in trouble.

However, they did have a good draft. I'd give them a B- (& maybe a B if both Barnett and Jones work out in a 'pro bowl' way).

I believe a step by step review of the results of my own detailed mock draft (posted earlier) sheds some light on what Roseman & Douglas did wrong, and what they were able to accomplish with this draft.

Out of curiosity, yesterday, I checked to see how I would have done--round by round--if I'd actually been drafting for the Eagles. If anyone's interested, here are my results:

Round 1--CB Kevin King. My goal was to get two of the top cornerback prospects for the price of Sam Bradford (or our #14 pick). I'd have traded down to the 20s from #14, and picked up an additional 2nd round pick (I had mentioned Tennessee, who in fact did trade up to get a QB, but it could have been any other team in the low to mid 20s). Among my top CB picks, I'd have lost out on Lattimore (as expected), Humphrey, and Jackson (and I passed on Conley and Jones, each for different reasons). That would have left the impressive Kevin King, who was the 1st pick of the 2nd round--so, I'd have gotten King.

Round 2--RB Joe Mixon. I've explained in detail why I wouldn't have had a problem drafting Mixon, so I won't go into all that again here. In my view, Mixon was the best & most versatile RB in the draft (with the possible exception of Fournette), and a perfect fit for the Eagles. With Mixon, our #1 RB problems would have been solved for years to come. Most regrettably, Roseman & Douglas didn't solve this problem--as I expect the Steelers beat them to RB James Conner, and that was a major flaw in their draft, and one of the main reasons why I didn't give them a stronger grade.

Round 2 (by trading down at #14)--CB Chidobe Awuzie. Sorry, but I consider Awuzie a better prospect than Douglas. (though I hope I'm wrong.) Even worse, Awuzie went to the Cowboys. With King & Awuzie, the Eagles would have gotten two very promising CBs that could potentially start in 2017.*

(* With the past help of this football-savvy forum, I would have also added either CB Kayvon Webster (who the Eagles dragged on & missed) or Marcus Cooper *early* in free agency, instead of Patrick Robinson, and the Eagles' CB group would now be looking very strong headed into the 2017 season, & beyond.)

Round 3 (as mentioned in my mock, I would have acquired an additional 3rd round pick via a trade)--RB Samaje Perine. Yes, I would have traded the inconsistent WR Jordan Matthews (& another player or draft pick, if need be) to get back our 3rd round pick lost in the Jerningan trade. With the idea of drafting either RB Samaje Perine or DE/OLB Demarcus Webster (before the No. 99 pick). As it turned out, Webster went according to his original draft projection (& not to where he had dropped after his average Combine showing). So, I would have missed out on Webster, but acquired Perine easily (who went surprisingly late). Unfortunately, Perine went to the Redskins!, and I believe that will come back to haunt the Eagles. A mistake, IMO. The more sure-handed Paul Turner could have then easily taken over JMatt's role in the slot. Too bad, because Mixon & Perine would have complimented each other perfectly in the Eagles backfield.

Round 3 (pick #99)--either WR Amara Darboh or DT Nazair Jones. This pick was originally intended to be DE/OLB Demarcus Walker, which wouldn't have worked out. The next D-line player on my mock was DT Nazair Jones, who I would have been able to draft at #99--just barely ahead of Seattle, who took him at #102. However, I'm not sure if DT was the Eagles most pressing need here. And if not, the next need on my mock was WR, & I liked WR K.D. Cannon, but *not* this early in the draft, as I considered Cannon to be a late round 'sleeper'. With favored WRs Godwin, Smith-Schuster, and Stewart now off the board, the next WR on my list was Amara Darboh, and I would have been able to draft Darboh at #99 just ahead of Seattle, who took him at #106. In deciding between Darboh or Jones, I would have first needed to consult with coaches Pederson & Schwartz, in order to better gauge which player best suited the team's needs (& I suspect it would have been Darboh). However, either pick would have pissed off Pete Carroll.

Round 4 (No. 118)--RB Tarik Cohen. I had left this pick flexible, with the idea that if the Eagles didn't get Mixon, I'd draft RB James Conner here. As it turned out, Conner went earlier than expected--to the Steelers (no surprise), but I did get Mixon. So it wasn't a problem. As stated, I would have then bumped up my 2nd 4th round pick and taken RB Tarik Cohen at No. 118, and I would have gotten Cohen by a hair, as the Bears took him at No. 119! Cohen was my first pick to become Sproles replacement, something I had talked about here since before Sproles even announced his 2018 retirement. If the Eagles had lost out on Cohen, my 'replacement' pick was Donnel Pumphrey, who the Eagles did draft. I do like Pumphrey, but believe Cohen is the better prospect by a mile. (I suspect the Eagles messed up with Cohen, thinking he'd go later, and were then jolted into trading up for Pumphrey out of desperation not to lose out completely).

Round 4 (No. 139)--S Xavier Woods. Having bumped all my picks forward a round (by moving up with Cohen), my next choice would have been CB Ashton Lampkin. However, as with Cannon, I considered Lampkin a 'late' round sleeper, and wouldn't have taken him this early in the draft. Considering that I was never quite sure where to rank S Xavier Woods in the draft (my next pick) and knew GreenbleedinFL had Woods going as early as the 4th round, I would have made this promising, hard hitting safety our No. 139 pick. And, as it turned out, that would have upset the Cowboys plans!, who traded up to get Woods in the 5th round. It's too bad he's going to be a Cowboy.

Round 5--CB Ashton Lampkin. This pick would have been a partial mistake on my part because Lampkin went un-drafted--only to be later signed by the Chiefs. However, like Andy Reid, I don't see Lampkin as a mistake. In fact, given the Eagles deficit at cornerback, I think they were foolish not to at least sign Lampkin as an un-drafted prospect (or did Reid beat them to it?). The Chiefs also picked up safety Jordan Sterns, who I had likewise considered to be a good late round DB prospect in this draft. That's the one thing I always admired about Andy Reid, he's sharp when it comes to recognizing players with real NFL talent.

Round 6 (no. 194)--OT Connor McDermott. This round would have been a tricky one, since I took Xavier Woods earlier than expected. My next pick was to be LB Jaylen-Reeves Maybin, and he too was taken earlier. After that, the highest need on my mock was O-L depth. My favorite 'late' O-L picks were G Isaac Asiata, OT Connor McDermott, and G Kofi Amichia. Asiata went in the 5th round, so I wouldn't have gotten him. Though I did see that the Patriots traded up to get McDermott at #211, so yes! I would have gotten McDermott before Bill Belichick & the Patriots could grab him! You know you're doing something right when mess up Belichick's plans.  As for Amichia, no one expected him to get drafted (he didn't even have a draft profile!), and to everyone's surprise (except mine) the Green Bay Packers took Amichia in the 6th round. As I had previously noted, RB Marlon Mack didn't break all of USF's rushing records in two consecutive years without the help of a strong O-L, and yet no one except the Packers seems to have noticed that the huge yet mobile Amichia had switched from OT to G for the 2017 draft, which made him a more attractive prospect. Amichia may turn out to be a valuable guard for Green Bay.

Round 7 (no. 230)--WR K.D. Cannon. My intention with the 7th round was to (1) pick up the best WR left on my list, if any were still available, and if not, then (2) add a speedster WR or RB to be a potential KO/P returner (such as Whitfield, Boldin Jr., or Muhammad). Here were the 'best' WRs still on my board in the 7th (in the order I intended to pick them)--K.D. Cannon (UDFA to the 49ers), Noah Brown (7th round to Cowboys), Keevan Lucas (UDFA--to the Bills?), and Isaiah Ford (7th round to the Dolphins).

Finally, in addition to safety Jordan Sterns (mentioned in a previous mock), I'd have gone after the following players as 'undrafted' free agents--S Orion Smith (Broncos signed him), WR Keevan Lucas (Bills signed?), WR Travis Rudolph (Giants signed), WR Kermit Whitfield (Bears signed), WR/KO/P returner Victor Boldin Jr. (49ers signed), WR Trey Griffey (Colts signed), and LB Ironhead Gallon (for special teams--unsigned). Of those on my UDFA list, I would not have gotten WR Rodney Adams, who went in the 5th round, nor RB Khalfani Muhammad, who the Titans picked in the 7th round. I also rated WR Damore'ea Stringfellow highly (as a possible 4th round pick), but wasn't okay with his 'off field' behavior (nor was anyone else apparently, except Miami).

In summary: Yes, I missed big at DE (unlike Roseman & Douglas) by not getting Demarcus Walker (who I liked even more than Barnett). But I didn't consider DE to be one of the Eagles most pressing needs right now (not as much as CB & RB)--since they had 5 good DEs going into the draft (and I'm high on Steven Means). However, I believe I did strike gold with my three RB choices (unlike the Eagles), and added several promising CB starters & back ups for 2017, and much needed depth at S. All big needs for this team. Though only time will tell.

I'll be back in the summer. Take care everyone!

Edited by MrSimpson
edited some sentences

Unfortunately, I don't think this was a great draft for the Eagles. The reason being they didn't fully address several of their most important needs for 2017--that is, two starting CBs, with added depth at that position, a #1 & #2 RB, and a strong back up safety behind Jenkins & McLeod (since Watkins didn't get the job done last year). If Jenkins or McLeod gets injured this year, the Eagles' defense will be in trouble.

However, they did have a good draft. I'd give them a B- (& maybe a B if both Barnett and Jones work out in a 'pro bowl' way).

I believe a step by step review of the results of my detailed mock draft (posted earlier) sheds significant light on what Roseman & Douglas did wrong, and what they were able to accomplish with this draft.

Out of curiosity, yesterday, I checked to see how I would have done--round by round--if I'd actually been drafting for the Eagles (a pleasant fantasy). If anyone's interested, or having draft 'withdrawal' symptoms, here are my results (Yes I know, another wall of text--but this will be my last post for a long time, I promise):

Round 1--CB Kevin King. My goal was to get two of the top cornerback prospects for the price of Sam Bradford (or our #14 pick). I'd have traded down to the 20s from #14, and picked up an additional 2nd round pick (I had mentioned Tennessee, who in fact did trade up to get a QB, but it could have been any other team in the 20s). Among my top CB picks, I'd have lost out on Lattimore (as expected), Humphrey, and Jackson (and I passed on Conley and Jones, each for different reasons). That would have left the impressive Kevin King, who was the 1st pick of the 2nd round--so, I'd have gotten King.

Round 2--RB Joe Mixon. I've explained in detail why I wouldn't have had a problem drafting Mixon, so I won't go into all that again here. In my view, Mixon was the best & most versatile RB in the draft (with the possible exception of Fournette), and a perfect fit for the Eagles. With Mixon, our #1 RB problems would have been solved for years to come. Most regrettably, Roseman & Douglas *didn't* solve this problem--as I expect the Steelers beat them to RB James Conner, and that was a major flaw in their draft, and one of the main reasons why I didn't give them a stronger grade.

Round 2 (by trading down at #14)--CB Chidobe Awuzie. Sorry, but I consider Awuzie a better prospect than Douglas. (& I hope I'm wrong.) Even worse, Awuzie went to the Cowboys. With King & Awuzie, the Eagles would have gotten two very promising CBs that could potentially start in 2017.*

(* With the past help of this football-savvy forum, I would have also added either CB Kayvon Webster (who the Eagles dragged on & missed) or Marcus Cooper *early* in free agency, instead of Patrick Robinson, and the Eagles' CB group would now be looking very strong headed into the 2017 season, & beyond.)

Round 3 (as mentioned in my mock, I would have acquired an additional 3rd round pick via a trade)--RB Samaje Perine. Yes, I would have traded the inconsistent WR Jordan Matthews (& another player or draft pick, if need be) to get back our 3rd round pick lost in the Jerningan trade. With the idea of drafting either RB Samaje Perine or DE/OLB Demarcus Webster (before the No. 99 pick). As it turned out, Webster went according to his original draft projection (& not to where he had dropped after his average Combine showing). So, I would have missed out on Webster, but acquired Perine easily (who went surprisingly late). Unfortunately, Perine went to the Redskins!, and I believe that will come back to haunt the Eagles. A big mistake, IMO. The more sure-handed Paul Turner could have then easily taken over JMatt's role in the slot. Too bad, because Mixon & Perine would have complimented each other perfectly in the Eagles backfield for years to come.

Round 3 (pick #99)--either WR Amara Darboh or DT Nazair Jones. This pick was originally intended to be DE/OLB Demarcus Walker, which wouldn't have worked out. The next D-line player on my mock was DT Nazair Jones, who I would have been able to draft at #99--just barely ahead of Seattle, who took him at #102. However, I'm not sure if DT was the Eagles most pressing need here. And if not, the next need on my mock was WR, & I liked WR K.D. Cannon, but *not* this early in the draft, as I considered Cannon to be late round 'sleeper'. With favored WRs Godwin, Smith-Schuster, and Stewart now off the board, the next WR on my list was Amara Darboh, and I would have been able to draft Darboh at #99 just ahead of Seattle, who took him at #106. In deciding between Darboh or Jones, I would have first needed to consult with coaches Pederson & Schwartz, in order to better gauge which player best suited the team's needs (& I suspect it would have been Darboh). However, either pick would have pissed off Pete Carroll. Nice!

Round 4 (No. 118)--RB Tarik Cohen. I had left this pick flexible, with the idea that if the Eagles didn't get Mixon, I'd draft RB James Conner here. As it turned out, Conner went earlier than expected--to the Steelers (no big surprise), but I did get Mixon. So it wasn't a problem. As stated, I would have then bumped up my 2nd 4th round pick and taken RB Tarik Cohen at No. 118, and I would have gotten Cohen by a hair, as the Bears took him at No. 119! Cohen was my first pick to become Sproles replacement, something I had talked about here since before Sproles even announced his 2018 retirement. If the Eagles had lost out on Cohen, my 'replacement' pick was Donnel Pumphrey, who the Eagles did draft. I do like Pumphrey, but believe Cohen is the better prospect by a mile. (I suspect the Eagles messed up with Cohen, thinking he'd go later, and were then jolted into trading up for Pumphrey out of desperation not to lose out completely).

Round 4 (No. 139)--S Xavier Woods. Having bumped all my picks forward a round (by moving up with Cohen), my next choice would have been CB Ashton Lampkin. However, as with Cannon, I considered Lampkin a 'late' round sleeper, and wouldn't have taken him this early in the draft. Considering that I was never quite sure where to rank S Xavier Woods in the draft (my next pick) and knew GreenbleedinFL had Woods going as early as the 4th round, I would have made this promising, hard hitting safety our No. 139 pick. And, as it turned out, that would have upset the Cowboys plans!, who traded up to get Woods in the 5th round. It's a shame he's going to be a Cowboy.

Round 5--CB Ashton Lampkin. This pick would have been a partial mistake on my part because Lampkin went un-drafted--only to be later signed by the Chiefs. However, like Andy Reid, I don't see Lampkin as a mistake. In fact, given the Eagles deficit at cornerback, I think they were extremely foolish not to sign Lampkin as an un-drafted prospect (or did Reid beat them to it?). The Chiefs also picked up safety Jordan Sterns, who I had likewise considered to be a good late round DB prospect in this draft. That's the one thing I always admired about Andy Reid, he's very sharp when it comes to recognizing players with true NFL talent.

Round 6 (no. 194)--OT Connor McDermott. This round would have been a tricky one for me, since I took Xavier Woods earlier than expected. My next pick was to be LB Jaylen-Reeves Maybin, and he too was taken earlier. After that, the highest need on my mock was O-L depth. My favorite 'late' O-L picks were G Isaac Asiata, OT Connor McDermott, and G Kofi Amichia. Asiata went in the 5th round, so I wouldn't have gotten him. Though I did see that the Patriots traded up to get McDermott at #211, so yes! I would have gotten McDermott before Bill Belichick & the Patriots could grab him! You know you're doing something right when mess up Belichick's plans! As for Amichia, no one expected him to get drafted (he didn't even have a draft profile!), and to everyone's surprise (but mine) the Green Bay Packers took Amichia in the 6th round. As I had previously noted, RB Marlon Mack didn't break all of USF's rushing records in two consecutive years without the help of a strong O-L, and yet no one except the Packers seems to have noticed that the huge yet mobile Amichia had switched from OT to G for the 2017 draft, which made him a more attractive prospect. Amichia may turn out to be a valuable guard for Green Bay.

Round 7 (no. 230)--WR K.D. Cannon. My intention with the 7th round was to (1) pick up the best WR left on my list, if any were still available, and if not, then (2) add a speedster WR or RB to be a potential KO/P returner (such as Whitfield, Boldin Jr., or Muhammad). Here were the 'best' WRs still on my board in the 7th (in the order I intended to pick them)--K.D. Cannon (UDFA to the 49ers), Noah Brown (7th round to Cowboys), Keevan Lucas (UDFA--to the Bills?), Isaiah Ford (7th round to the Dolphins).

Finally, in addition to safety Jordan Sterns (mentioned in a previous mock), I'd have gone after the following players as 'undrafted' free agents--S Orion Smith (Broncos signed him--too bad for the Eagles!), WR Keevan Lucas (Bills signed?), WR Travis Rudolph (Giants signed), WR Kermit Whitfield (Bears signed), WR/KO/P returner Victor Boldin Jr. (49ers signed--too bad), WR Trey Griffey (Colts signed), and LB Ironhead Gallon (for special teams--unsigned). Of those on my UDFA list, I would not have gotten WR Rodney Adams, who went in the 5th round, nor RB Khalfani Muhammad, who the Titans picked in the 7th round. I also rated WR Damore'ea Stringfellow highly (as a possible 4th round pick), but wasn't okay with his 'off field' behavior (nor was anyone else apparently, except Miami).

In summary: Yes, I missed big at DE! (unlike Roseman & Douglas) by not getting Demarcus Walker (who I liked even more than Barnett). But I didn't consider DE to be one of the Eagles most pressing needs *right now* (not as much as CB & RB)--since they had 5 good DEs going into the draft (and I'm high on Steven Means). However, I believe I did strike gold with my three RB choices (unlike the Eagles), and added several promising CB starters & back ups for 2017, and much needed depth at S. All big needs for this team. Though, of course, only time will tell.

I'll be back in the summer. Take care everyone!

Thank heavens you're not in the front office. I love how you make trades as if what other teams want or don't want aren't even part of the equation. What the Eagles actually did in the draft is so much better...so much better...than your little fantasy scenario here. You liked Demarcus Walker even more than Derek Barnett? That statement alone is ridiculous. Barnett could end up being better than Garrett, and even end up being the best overall (defensive) player in this draft. He was dominating for 3 consecutive years in the SEC, especially against the conferences best teams (including Alabama), beginning at age 18, and was better than Garrett in 2016, at least in the numbers and who each accumulated theirs against. It's possible, probably likely, that he's just scratching the surface of his ability.

Also, Sidney Jones may also be (again, maybe probable) the best man to man cover corner in the draft and one of the best in quite a while to enter the league. Rasul Douglas is also just emerging and most likely not close to his ceiling yet. This pair could possibly be the best CB tandem the team's had in a long, long time...maybe ever. It may take until 2018 (it may not, too) but the additions made to the defense (including Jernigan) could make it one of the very best in the league. If Wentz becomes the QB we all hope he will this will be a SB contending team for a while, maybe even beginning this year.

RBs in the NFL draft these days, BTW, are fool's gold unless that's your one glaring weakness...which in the Eagles' case isn't a weakness at all. We were 11th in rushing, 5th in rushing first downs, 3rd in pct of FDs via the run, and 1st in time of possession. All of that with an OL in flux all year, a rookie QB with no deep threat, and our leading rusher missing multiple games...none of which should be the case going forward.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, Havenless said:

I don't care how he looks in December I care how he looks next year. I expect him to look rusty this year. He will be coming off injury.  He is not able to train his body how he usually does and will take time to get up to game shape again, not to mention the speed difference between college to pros. I don't think we can truly grade him till next season.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:48 PM, 3rd & 1 said:

I love your optimism but let's not pump the brakes and not compare some of the greats that have played here to anyone. I think we drafted some talented kids but this is not college and they all need work just to see the field.

Barnett should be much better than Cole ever was. Why does everyone need to be the next anybody? We didn't win crap with most of those other guys anyway.

Posted (edited)

I see I've been directly addressed, so okay, one more post:

John Reaves,

We'll see who turns out to be the better player--Barnett or Walker--no one has a crystal ball (especially the Eagles front office, which they've proven repeatedly in recent years). However, my comment wasn't so much a negative about Barnett, as it was an enthusiastic plug for Walker (as well as my belief that the Eagles needed CBs & RBs more). I think Walker got a little underrated in this draft. Though I certainly hope Barnett turns out to be the better player. That's why I said I'd give Roseman & Douglas a solid B grade for this draft, if Barnett and Jones work out as future 'pro bowl' players--but wouldn't give them an A grade due to their not solving the Eagles' #1 & #2 RB vacancies--when they had a strong draft to do so, & for not adding a promising back up safety as well--which the team will desperately need if either Jenkins or McLeod gets injured.

Your point that the Eagles finished #11 in the league last year in rushing means nothing--because the Eagles aren't expected to keep last year's #1RB, RMatthews, since he's never made it through a single season without getting injured, and now has a spinal disc issue. Also, Barner is gone, and Sproles is retiring. That leaves Smallwood and Watson--who haven't proven anything (not yet). Therefore, last year's stats are meaningless--that is, unless the Eagles plan on keeping Matthews, and he can somehow manage to play through an entire season. Which would be great. But I don't think anyone's counting on that. And, why repeat last year's mistake? (Though I'm little surprised by your stats, as I don't recall the Eagles being strong running the ball on critical third downs last year.)

So, I hope what Dave suggests in his article, that the Eagles "are not done yet" is the truth! As I expect most fans would consider it smarter for the Eagles to add a dependable #1 RB before the start of the season, then to throw the dice again with Matthews. Besides, they can't afford to do so, as they no longer have a RB like Barner as back up. (Though I'd be fine, as I've said before, with Matthews as our #2.) So, I stand by my previous assertion, that with Mixon, Perine, and Cohen, the Eagles would have gone a long way towards solving their RB issues 'for years to come', and also picked up a very promising 2018 replacement for Sproles in Cohen (who is the "quickest" back Mayock says he's "ever seen"). The truth is that in order for Wentz to become a great quarterback, he will need a great running back to do so, & at least one.  Right now, the Eagles don't have that (except for Sproles for one more season).

As for Jones, I've been through a torn Achilles myself, and it's not a minor injury. It takes a long time, and some athletes never *fully* recover from that injury. Fortunately Jones is only 20 years old, so things look positive right now. Even so, the Eagles would be unwise to try to push his recovery process, & early October sounds way too optimistic to me. (Unless they have some special therapy I don't know about.) Generally, I tend to associate Achilles problems with more seasoned athletes, ones that have had more wear and tear on their bodies. Which makes me wonder whether the 20 yr. old Jones may be more injury prone than your average pro athlete? Though don't misunderstand, I like the pick--Jones was high on my list too. My criticism is more that the Eagles only drafted two CBs from this highly touted class. I think it should have been three--especially since Jones won't be starting in 2017. Plus, if either Jones or Douglas doesn't work out, the Eagles will remain weak at CB--unless one of last years' guys shows big improvement. But, Jalen Mills as a starter? Opposing teams threw at Mills in every single game last year, including the preseason, and in most games, it not only worked out, it cost us. Granted, he showed some potential, but at other times he looked lost and too slow to be a starting CB in the NFL.

As for my wildly speculative trades--I don't think getting an extra 3rd round pick was a big stretch, or difficult, especially when I was talking about a mid to late 3rd round pick, and there were 31 teams to broker a deal with. Clearly, the Eagles have a number of players on the trading block that other teams are interested in--such as JMatt and Kendricks, not to mention future draft picks, which every team's interested in. And, I think a trade was well worth doing, since the Eagles had *zero* picks between No. 44 and No. 99--at the heart of the draft. Of course I hope my pick--Samaje Perine--turns out to be a bust for the Redskins (for the Eagles' sake), but, I'd bet good money that between Mixon & Perine, one of them becomes a strong starting RB in the NFL (maybe both).

People here also didn't think that Tennessee would trade up in the 1st round, prior to the draft, and were sceptical when I suggested it. But Tennessee did trade up to get a QB. So clearly, I wasn't too far off with my expectations. And if the Eagles had traded down, I don't think it was at all unrealistic to think they could have picked up a extra 2nd round pick in order to acquire Mixon (though probably not Cook). So, my trade 'strategies' weren't implausible, as it turned out.

Edited by MrSimpson
edited out a sentence, and made a correction