DaveSpadaro

[News] Analyzing State Of The Running Game

106 posts in this topic

Wendell Smallwood. Darren Sproles. Donnel Pumphrey. Ryan Mathews. These are the four leading candidates to carry the football for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2017. The coaching staff installs the early version of the playbook with some uncertainty as Phase Two of the offseason continues ...

View the full article

It would be nice to have a cow bell back but this group should be good enough this year

3 people like this

I think we are still waiting a little while longer to cut Matthew's even though he has been cleared cuz at this point it doesn't make much a difference when if we do cut him.

It seems to me you can point right at Barbre and Kelce as to why we struggled on short yardage and third down conversions. Those two just can't push anyone back...nobody! Wisniewski seems to fit the part more. At either LG or C really. Warmack was a force pushing people back like a bulldog...in college. If he regain form that should help. Lane is a good run blocker also so having him all season should help. Running back by commitee means you don't have a RB. And that's where we sit.

6 people like this

Is it up to Smallwood? Yes I think it's up to him.

4 people like this

Still kicking,,everything went well,

10 people like this

49 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Is it up to Smallwood? Yes I think it's up to him.

Smalls is who I believe will be our lead back come the start of the season......2 names that could be interesting to watch though at RB Matt Jones(if released by the Skins) and Rashad Jennings......Not that I would be overly thrilled with either guy but both are bigger RBs and division teams tend to recycle there players for some reason guess there is a little more familiarity...... Though would not expect us to sign a RB until after we figure out what we already have on roster....

1 person likes this

Having a pain med cocktail. Will try to post my room view tomorrow of the whole harbor. Did we sign another udfa?

1 person likes this

IMG_20170503_173024677.jpg

6 people like this

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Glad to hear all is well good luck on your recovery. 

4 people like this

I like RMatt physical down hill approach... not trying to be insensitive, with that fused neck ... bro, please hang it up, enjoy the rest of your life young man.

@mjk1958... good to hear ur back...hope your recovery is swift.

I just don't think we're too worried about RB this year...Not enough of a sample size on Smallwood, that I am ready to endorse, I wanna see what Watson brings with more touches, at 240 plus lbs... Pumphery in the fold, I think the size of the dog in Pumphery, I am buying he could carry a heavy load. Pumphery said he has always been small, I watched his Pass Blocking drills at the combine... real tough guy...held his own. It seems most teams are doing RB by committee these days? I like that Howie ain't willing to just give away Kelce, or some other guys that don't fit anymore but I agree with you chamtheman... we have to get more physical up front for the run game to be effective.

4 people like this

I don't like RB by committee but it is just what they do , most of the power backs, want a min of 20 touches a game, and often they get better as the game goes on. If they only get 10-15 carries, they can't seem to get in a rhythm, and therefore don't work in that type of system.
this year people will look back and say , oh carson wentz got so much better, and oh the Eagles run game got so much better, and it really isn't that ... The WR got so much better, and Lane is in all season.
running game will be fine.

1 person likes this

Maybe Pumphrey is the next Barry Sanders.
Who knows, let's just get on with it.

1 person likes this

IMHO the state of the running game depends on the state of the O line. Unless you have an AP type runner i'd say it's 60-40 O line to RB.
I like our O line if Lane doesn't do anything stupid again.

3 people like this

It seems to me you can point right at Barbre and Kelce as to why we struggled on short yardage and third down conversions. Those two just can't push anyone back...nobody! Wisniewski seems to fit the part more. At either LG or C really. Warmack was a force pushing people back like a bulldog...in college. If he regain form that should help. Lane is a good run blocker also so having him all season should help. Running back by commitee means you don't have a RB. And that's where we sit.

Absolutely - our OL would seem to be :adequate" and fairly deep; however, we need true run-blockers. I'm not even sure that both of our tackles can (still) do that, much less the interior line. Perhaps aggressive coaching might help? Then our "RB by committee" would be fine. If Lane regains form (no guarantees), that could be half the battle.

I hate to keep bringing up the Patriots as a reference point but how many 4th and ones or 3rd and ones has Brady come up short? I didn't know that he was a power back.

6 people like this

And the 220lb Wisconsin RB who has all the talent in the world but is somewhat of a silly goose? Have we signed him as a free agent? He could help. Some kids grow up a little later than others. Other NFL teams have announced FA signings. Why not the Birds?

2 people like this

If it keeps raining around here i'm gonna build an ark.

1 person likes this

GREAT news!!!

And the 220lb Wisconsin RB who has all the talent in the world but is somewhat of a silly goose? Have we signed him as a free agent? He could help. Some kids grow up a little later than others. Other NFL teams have announced FA signings. Why not the Birds?

I believe we have

Pleased we added some LB depth with Daniels.where the heck are they finding this cap money????

1 person likes this

Pleased we added some LB depth with Daniels.where the heck are they finding this cap money????

I don't think the average fan (me) fully understands the point in time where we have to be under the cap limit. I read something the other day about it where by a certain date we have to be under the cap and that date isn't until after we cut players to get down to the active roster and practice squad players. I guess you can spend all the money you want up until the day you have to be under the cap.

3 people like this

Wow, could use some of that rain down here in Bradenton Florida. We are 8 1/2 inches short for the year so far.

3 people like this

51 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Wow, could use some of that rain down here in Bradenton Florida. We are 8 1/2 inches short for the year so far.

Really.Finally got a good rain here yesterday,we need it!!

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I don't think the average fan (me) fully understands the point in time where we have to be under the cap limit. I read something the other day about it where by a certain date we have to be under the cap and that date isn't until after we cut players to get down to the active roster and practice squad players. I guess you can spend all the money you want up until the day you have to be under the cap.

Just seems "odd" to go into "debt" that way