DaveSpadaro

[News] Analyzing State Of The Running Game

106 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

If it keeps raining around here i'm gonna build an ark.

Wow, could use some of that rain down here in Bradenton Florida. We are 8 1/2 inches short for the year so far.

That's what my sister-in-law was saying. She lives between Arcadia and Punta Gorda.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  59 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

If it keeps raining around here i'm gonna build an ark.

Wow, could use some of that rain down here in Bradenton Florida. We are 8 1/2 inches short for the year so far.

That's what my sister-in-law was saying. She lives between Arcadia and Punta Gorda.

Not too far from me,maybe 90 minutes-2 hours depending where she is.We got a nice rain yesterday,surpised she didn't

4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

IMHO the state of the running game depends on the state of the O line. Unless you have an AP type runner i'd say it's 60-40 O line to RB.
I like our O line if Lane doesn't do anything stupid again.

Did you get a chance to go look first hand at the rivers when they crested?

19 hours ago, rlubrich87 said:

It would be nice to have a cow bell back but this group should be good enough this year

Spuds didnt mention them, but I believe that Terrel Watson and the kid from Wisconsin will have something to say about what happens.... they bring the Big Back/gain that yard mentality, which RMatt will likely get injured again doing again

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, PhillyRod said:

I don't like RB by committee but it is just what they do , most of the power backs, want a min of 20 touches a game, and often they get better as the game goes on. If they only get 10-15 carries, they can't seem to get in a rhythm, and therefore don't work in that type of system.
this year people will look back and say , oh carson wentz got so much better, and oh the Eagles run game got so much better, and it really isn't that ... The WR got so much better, and Lane is in all season.
running game will be fine.

Im not sure that I buy that mentality... we can look at RMat as an example of a RB who could make 10-15 touches really count, and if he is not a power runner, Im not sure what you use to define power runners... His problem is not production, it is health

4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

IMHO the state of the running game depends on the state of the O line. Unless you have an AP type runner i'd say it's 60-40 O line to RB.
I like our O line if Lane doesn't do anything stupid again.

Did you get a chance to go look first hand at the rivers when they crested?

Only the Roubidoux. I watched it running across our road. We were flooded into the house for a day. We sit on a hill so no damage.

42 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  51 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Pleased we added some LB depth with Daniels.where the heck are they finding this cap money????

I don't think the average fan (me) fully understands the point in time where we have to be under the cap limit. I read something the other day about it where by a certain date we have to be under the cap and that date isn't until after we cut players to get down to the active roster and practice squad players. I guess you can spend all the money you want up until the day you have to be under the cap.

Just seems "odd" to go into "debt" that way

You have to believe that Howie already knows a lot of the big monetary cuts that are coming on the team. As far as the rest, they will work themselves out when we go from 90 players to 63 or whatever the roster amount is.

44 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  52 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Pleased we added some LB depth with Daniels.where the heck are they finding this cap money????

I don't think the average fan (me) fully understands the point in time where we have to be under the cap limit. I read something the other day about it where by a certain date we have to be under the cap and that date isn't until after we cut players to get down to the active roster and practice squad players. I guess you can spend all the money you want up until the day you have to be under the cap.

Just seems "odd" to go into "debt" that way

You have to believe that Howie already knows a lot of the big monetary cuts that are coming on the team. As far as the rest, they will work themselves out when we go from 90 players to 63 or whatever the roster amount is.

Yeah I'm sure he does

8 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Only the Roubidoux. I watched it running across our road. We were flooded into the house for a day. We sit on a hill so no damage.

From Dixon we could not cross many places... took the kids to look at Veterans bridge on 28 but they wouldn't let us go down, so we stopped at the "Point"/"DiTrapani's" and looked at the Valley, then went down to Jerome, WOW that was amazing!... then we went down O highway and Cave rd leading to Riddle bridge was under water, and the people that live on the other side that could actually see Riddle bridge said it also was completely under water as well... Riddle Bridge is the one out Y highway, the one that goes straight where you turn to go to Wal-Mart in St Robert 

8 hours ago, PhillyRod said:

I don't like RB by committee but it is just what they do , most of the power backs, want a min of 20 touches a game, and often they get better as the game goes on. If they only get 10-15 carries, they can't seem to get in a rhythm, and therefore don't work in that type of system.
this year people will look back and say , oh carson wentz got so much better, and oh the Eagles run game got so much better, and it really isn't that ... The WR got so much better, and Lane is in all season.
running game will be fine.

Im not sure that I buy that mentality... we can look at RMat as an example of a RB who could make 10-15 touches really count, and if he is not a power runner, Im not sure what you use to define power runners... His problem is not production, it is health

before anyone panics,let's see what we have in camp at RB.WR will be another intriguing battle on who makes the 53

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

before anyone panics,let's see what we have in camp at RB.WR will be another intriguing battle on who makes the 53

I think that there is alot to be excited about... this is the first year that Ive felt like the backups were not a massive drop-off from starters

Roster count 83 if I counted correctly

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

They still are not showing the RB from Wisc on the team roster

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I think that there is alot to be excited about... this is the first year that Ive felt like the backups were not a massive drop-off from starters

Well we COULD have a whole bunch of MUNDANE,but we shall see

# 1 rated draft class in the league-very nice accolade!!!

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

They still are not showing the RB from Wisc on the team roster

Interesting!!

This would be an interesting offensive set. Sproles and Pumphrey in the backfield few downs a game.Would make defenses change up,as both are passing options out of the backfield.Can't wait to see that one in the playbook

1 person likes this

Initially I thought that Pumphrey might be a legitimate replacement for Darren Sproles, however, I fear that he will woefully inept at blitz pickup unlike Sproles who is amazing.

Last year Sproles got called for a chop-block when it should have gone down as the blitz pickup block of the year!!

what cap money was needed? Remember its top 50 or 51 ... lets say the last guy makes 500k ... we sign a guy for 600k ... the 600k gets added, the 500k guy moves out of the top 50-51, so he doesn't count anymore. The cap hit is then only 100k. Can't see this 7th rounder from last year even making the top 51 of salary, it he does, its barely over the minimum

3 people like this

I'm fine with RB by committee as long as we aren't spending a ton at the position. If you have an elite RB you have to pay him as one. With RB by committee you can keep the cost of the position down saving money for other position. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

what cap money was needed? Remember its top 50 or 51 ... lets say the last guy makes 500k ... we sign a guy for 600k ... the 600k gets added, the 500k guy moves out of the top 50-51, so he doesn't count anymore. The cap hit is then only 100k. Can't see this 7th rounder from last year even making the top 51 of salary, it he does, its barely over the minimum

Did not know that thanks for the info

1 person likes this

I'm fine with RB by committee as long as we aren't spending a ton at the position. If you have an elite RB you have to pay him as one. With RB by committee you can keep the cost of the position down saving money for other position. 

Not just that but if your elite, three down guy gets hurt it has more of an impact than losing one guy in your rotation of multiple backs does. When Ryan Matthews gets hurt and misses games it means much less than if Elliott does for Dallas.