DaveSpadaro

[News] Analyzing State Of The Running Game

106 posts in this topic

Initially I thought that Pumphrey might be a legitimate replacement for Darren Sproles, however, I fear that he will woefully inept at blitz pickup unlike Sproles who is amazing.

Last year Sproles got called for a chop-block when it should have gone down as the blitz pickup block of the year!!

Then let him be a safety valve and burn the blitz that way, perhaps.

3 people like this

This would be an interesting offensive set. Sproles and Pumphrey in the backfield few downs a game.Would make defenses change up,as both are passing options out of the backfield.Can't wait to see that one in the playbook

I doubt it'll happen but I love the possibility you pose.

Alright.... draft is done, time to get these guys in shape and working with each other. A few more roster tweaks, then a healthy camp, .... and bring on the Skins! What I need from this year...
#1 = Wentz stepping up ...
2 = As many of the one year players showing they can be here long term.
3 = Last year's draft class stepping up, the 2 OL would be nice!
4 = The young CBs stepping up. Douglas and Mills are the 2 I'm interested in
5 = 2 young RBs stepping up to at least show they can play in tandem
6 = Barnett ... we need elite at the pass rushing position, this is what sets the tone for the rest of the defense. Really this is probably #2 behind Wentz for me, but I put it lower because I'm more interested in Barnett long term, not just having a good rookie year.

If we can get this in place going into 2018 ... freeing up the major cap space, then we can fill in the rest of the needs and start looking like a complete team.

1 person likes this

This would be an interesting offensive set. Sproles and Pumphrey in the backfield few downs a game.Would make defenses change up,as both are passing options out of the backfield.Can't wait to see that one in the playbook

I could see these 2 coming out of the backfield on short passing routes,that gives Wentz a minimum of 6 targets to hit(and defenses to cover) Both RB's,2 out wide,1 in the slot and Ertz.A beautiful RZ option call in my view.A bump and run from Celek,now you provide 7 options.Would not shock me at all,if the O line proves worthy to get a push on defenders, to see Wentz on a few QB sneaks

Bonnet and Watson cut there goes my FB and my Big back... maybe Clement is the heir apparent?

Bonnet and Watson cut there goes my FB and my Big back... maybe Clement is the heir apparent?

Dave Spadaro never mentioned Watson in this article or concerning the power back part of the equation so I sort of figured something was up. Sometimes the most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said. LOL

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I doubt it'll happen but I love the possibility you pose.

Well it would be a nice "season on the line" change cause D's would never have seen it lol

1 hour ago, trini said:

Dave Spadaro never mentioned Watson in this article or concerning the power back part of the equation so I sort of figured something was up. Sometimes the most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said. LOL

Clement still not on the roster list-very WEIRD

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

# 1 rated draft class in the league-very nice accolade!!!

Who made that rating?

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

GBFL you arent seeing the forest through the trees... Sproles, Pumphrey, going out left and right from the backfield...  Smith and Gibson each streaking down the sideline... and Burton streaking down the middle... WHICH speed guy get's the mismatch? 

6 hours ago, EagleBeak said:

Initially I thought that Pumphrey might be a legitimate replacement for Darren Sproles, however, I fear that he will woefully inept at blitz pickup unlike Sproles who is amazing.

Last year Sproles got called for a chop-block when it should have gone down as the blitz pickup block of the year!!

Blitz wont matter when you have a speed mismatch

Seems weird to part with Watson at this point. Maybe he dipped out on a workout or something. He seemed like the one guy that brought something different to the table. 

1 person likes this

I've had dreams of a Proform set for years. Having two good options side by side in the backfield   splitting the defense. They never do it anymore though...for some reason.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Alright.... draft is done, time to get these guys in shape and working with each other. A few more roster tweaks, then a healthy camp, .... and bring on the Skins! What I need from this year...
#1 = Wentz stepping up ...
2 = As many of the one year players showing they can be here long term.
3 = Last year's draft class stepping up, the 2 OL would be nice!
4 = The young CBs stepping up. Douglas and Mills are the 2 I'm interested in
5 = 2 young RBs stepping up to at least show they can play in tandem
6 = Barnett ... we need elite at the pass rushing position, this is what sets the tone for the rest of the defense. Really this is probably #2 behind Wentz for me, but I put it lower because I'm more interested in Barnett long term, not just having a good rookie year.

If we can get this in place going into 2018 ... freeing up the major cap space, then we can fill in the rest of the needs and start looking like a complete team.

#1 everything is about Wentz improving. 

#2 tough to figure on one year players. If they do good their price tag skyrockets. If they don't you really don't want to keep them.

#3 Last year's class excelling. Yeah Wentz you covered. Smallwood is the big need player. Big V(as things stand now) doesn't play unless of injury. Seumalo probably the same.

4# young corners stepping up feels mandatory. This position group just doesn't look good going into this season. Not sure if Mills and Douglas are the guys. We have Robinson,Brooks and Gratz as the experienced guys. So they are the ones to beat out. Grymes and Smith might be the guys to take a leap the second year in this system. We'll see. The corners couldn't cover crap last season so the bar is low. 

1 person likes this

#5 Smallwood(covered him)

#6 Barnett has been consistent throughout his college career. So I wouldn't put everything on his pass rush. I'm looking more at where his all around game is. He's the kind of player that is going to train and improve with time. So I just want to know how his overall game translates to this level. That should give a good understanding of a timetable.

1 person likes this

I think this is a big year for Hicks. Can he stay healthy? Otherwise his game looks great.

We need to find a compliment to Cox at DT. We'll have a DE move to DT on passing downs ,I expect. I'm not the highest on players like Jernigan. He hasn't been finishing games strong...or seasons.

And it's a huge year for Pedey. He's doing well in the leadership role. His offensive unit was undermanned last season. Couldn't blame him on that. But now that side of the ball got weapons. So he needs to show he can get this offense playing at a high level. The difference in good and great in the NFL can be an insurmountable obstacle. I want to see him improve on his recognition and implementation of situational football. This is pretty key.

3 people like this

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

GBFL you arent seeing the forest through the trees... Sproles, Pumphrey, going out left and right from the backfield...  Smith and Gibson each streaking down the sideline... and Burton streaking down the middle... WHICH speed guy get's the mismatch? 

I put a similar scenario up earlier

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

# 1 rated draft class in the league-very nice accolade!!!

Who made that rating?

NFL.com it's listed on the right as an article

1 person likes this

I've had dreams of a Proform set for years. Having two good options side by side in the backfield   splitting the defense. They never do it anymore though...for some reason.

We're about to re-fire that in the playbook lol

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, mateagle2 said:
  19 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Speed isn't everything! How about a WR who can gain separation and catch the ball, or a short yardage RB who WILL gain the yards - couldn't care less how slow he is.

1 person likes this

I KNOW I'm in the miniscule minority here......but wasn't DeMarco Murray literally perfect on 3rd and short???

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  12 hours ago, mateagle2 said:
  20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Speed isn't everything! How about a WR who can gain separation and catch the ball, or a short yardage RB who WILL gain the yards - couldn't care less how slow he is.

I was talking about ONE play we could potentially use now and again.I never said SPEED on every play lol

1 person likes this

I KNOW I'm in the miniscule minority here......but wasn't DeMarco Murray literally perfect on 3rd and short???

Murray didn't seem to be a fit for what Chip was trying to do. Of course I'm not sure Chip was sure about what Chip was trying to do.

1 person likes this

I was looking forward to seeing Watson take a step forward this year... maybe there is a reason he is on his 3rd team...Bonnett , wasn't he Wentz boy from college... does Beau Allen when healthy continue his FB duties? Aside from Sproles, all others are unproven at that position. My preference is for a bigger, punishing back, does this mean we get that guy next year... is this move about money?  We've got to create Cap Space to sign our new guys. 

Watching Fl.Gators vs SC Gamecocks...Trey Burton, Jordon Reed, Janoris Jenkins vs Alston Jeffery, Marshon Lattimore SEC EastChampionship playoff.

1 hour ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Not so strange, that O was. Except for that contract, he'd be great in this scheme as well. Didn't realize how small the letters on this phone are until you have a morphine drip in your arm

1 person likes this