Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Lawlor: Offseason Reveals Master Plan

8 posts in this topic

Back in 1998, the Minnesota Vikings spent the 21st pick in the draft on wide receiver Randy Moss. The offense set records and the team went 15-1. The Green Bay Packers had controlled the NFC Centr...

View the full article

Wish the Eagles had taken Dalvin Cook with first pick. IMO a true no 1 back , who does everything , would help this offense keep D guessing, rather than 3 or 4 " specialty " backs... Westbrook, Shady....

Very happy with the emphasis on defense in this draft. Also happy with the players selected. All seem like excellent choices to me. Good guys who have proven results.
We see so much about this player is too small, too tall, too slow, went to the wrong school,... While I can see some of that being a factor, it is very hard to argue with proven results. Tom Brady got drafted in the 6th round because he was too slow, too this and that ... But he has consistently generated results.

Wish the Eagles had taken Dalvin Cook with first pick. IMO a true no 1 back , who does everything , would help this offense keep D guessing, rather than 3 or 4 " specialty " backs... Westbrook, Shady....

Cook was drafted in the second round. Other teams from 15 to 31 agreed with the Eagles. His character caused him to fall. The player we picked at 14 is higher rated than Cook. The Eagles use a RB by committee approach and don't need a 3 down back.

I share the viewpoint when Tommy describes here completely about what it takes to win in the NFL but he left one thing out, maybe because it goes without saying: the QB has to not only be great but needs to be at his best at the biggest moments of games. The great teams are almost always defined by great plays made by the QB, and that includes Eli Manning and Russell Wilson even though defense was the real strength of the championship teams they played on.

The RB position was addressed pretty much exactly as I expected. It's not that a Cook or a McCaffrey wouldn't be great to have but the position is fine and doesn't need these guys. What they did need to focus on was improving the passing offense (WRs) and the pass defense (improve the rush, solidify the CB position once and for all). When Wentz takes off so do the Eagles.

It's what I've been saying in comments about numerous articles here and on other sites.

He does everything but helps the pass defense, which after signing Jeffrey and Smith, is all we really need.

This team is going to live off the defense and special teams. The lack of a running game will hurt the offense. Figures that for the 1st time in awhile the o-line looks good and no running game. 1 day soon, i hope the get a complete team.

Excited to see what Pumphrey can do as well as Barnett. Could be our strongest draft in a while. We have to be able to rush Dak and Rodgers or at least bracket their weapons long enough to force them out of the pocket more often. I think we're a year away but 2017 is going to be exciting IMO.