Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Quick Hits: Rookie Camp Ahead

164 posts in this topic

January 1, 2017, Lincoln Financial Field. The Eagles finished their 2016 season against the Dallas Cowboys, with a starting wide receiver corps of Nelson Agholor, Dorial Green-Beckham, and Paul Turner. Quarterback Carson Wentz averaged 5.2 yards on his 43 passing attempts ...

View the full article

Keeping the Oline in tack and healthy will be a big boost. I want to see Celek be able to get out and make some plays. He had to block most of the snaps so his production was down. He is probably in his last year with us because of his cap hit so want to get him what we can. Having WRs that can get open and catch the dang ball will go a long way.

2 people like this

The RBBC approach is something I think Doug has been working on for the longest time. He has seen some great RB get hurt and because the team relied on that one RB it was a big loss for the Offense. So I gotta think Doug has been working on the playbook to allow him to use whichever type of RB he needs, but I agree with a lot of you we do need that one back that can get the yards on 3rd and 2 and 4th to eat clock or keep the drive alive.

3 people like this

I can't wait to see the Rookies hit the field!!!

1 person likes this

Would have liked to see them keep Watson. I think he could have been the big back we need

3 people like this

29 minutes ago, steve lee said:

Would have liked to see them keep Watson. I think he could have been the big back we need

Cap is definitely a factor

Hey guys, don't sleep on the kid from Jersey, Corey Clement out of Wisconsin.
He's 5'10 at 220lbs, and should be able to get the short yardage work in this Offense.
Maybe he can, maybe he can't but short of keeping Mathews, he's the biggest back we got.

I don't understand the "no surprises" comment about the three players released to create cap space. Of course cap space is needed but if you need a power running back and Watson is the only one on the roster then I think cutting Watson is a surprise. There was another player that could have been cut instead of Watson to make space.

2 people like this

Howie Roseman said "surprises will emerge at the wide receiver position" and I totally agree. I just hope that the surprise isn't some receiver getting cut after he beats out Nelson Agholor, due to Agholor's contract.

1 person likes this

The RBBC approach is something I think Doug has been working on for the longest time. He has seen some great RB get hurt and because the team relied on that one RB it was a big loss for the Offense. So I gotta think Doug has been working on the playbook to allow him to use whichever type of RB he needs, but I agree with a lot of you we do need that one back that can get the yards on 3rd and 2 and 4th to eat clock or keep the drive alive.

Well I just don't know how in good faith you can judge Watson's talent when he only played in one game in which he carried the ball 9 times for 28 yards and one TD. Plus in those 9 carries he ran for two first downs. Had one pass thrown his way which he caught for 5 yards. I guess that is why I am not judging football talent for a living.

2 people like this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/06/terrell-watson-nfl-cleveland-browns-azusa

Interesting read on a slow day.

2 hours ago, steve lee said:

I don't understand the "no surprises" comment about the three players released to create cap space. Of course cap space is needed but if you need a power running back and Watson is the only one on the roster then I think cutting Watson is a surprise. There was another player that could have been cut instead of Watson to make space.

Nah wasnt about cap space its about the 90 man limit before the UDFA signing can be made official. We were at 83 excluding the UDFA.

37 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Well I just don't know how in good faith you can judge Watson's talent when he only played in one game in which he carried the ball 9 times for 28 yards and one TD. Plus in those 9 carries he ran for two first downs. Had one pass thrown his way which he caught for 5 yards. I guess that is why I am not judging football talent for a living.

I wasnt judging Watson. I was just talking what Doug could be trying and as a reason we didnt try harder than we did to get a cow bell back thats all.

2 hours ago, steve lee said:

Nah its not about the cap its about the 90 man limit before the UDFA signings can be made official. We were sitting at 83 excluding the UDFA.

Im fine with Smallwood starting with Pumphrey, Sproles n Clement as depth.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I wasnt judging Watson. I was just talking what Doug could be trying and as a reason we didnt try harder than we did to get a cow bell back thats all.

I know you weren't judging him. I meant the Eagles staff. I should have clarified that.

1 person likes this

Howie Roseman said "surprises will emerge at the wide receiver position" and I totally agree. I just hope that the surprise isn't some receiver getting cut after he beats out Nelson Agholor, due to Agholor's contract.

AG should be relegated to making nugget runs.I'll give this head case one more chance,they if it was me I'd show him the boot in the well you know.Noone expects anyone to be superman,this is a team game and we have put together a team

1 person likes this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/06/terrell-watson-nfl-cleveland-browns-azusa

I'm thinkng the Gnats will snag this guy

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I know you weren't judging him. I meant the Eagles staff. I should have clarified that.

haha ok I figured so but wasnt sure. All good

So WHY the heck is Clement still not on the roster list-SPUDS send a MEMO!!!

1 person likes this

This is a really small school.I'm proud him for what he achievied seeing all he was up against.Still it's tough for a guy from a relative unknown college when you have to compare them for competitive reasons.I wish him the best in the future

1 person likes this

I can't wait to see the Rookies hit the field!!!

What got me was this year we actually drafted players who can PLAY.We may see alot of rooks on the field

1 person likes this

Well I am not going to cry about it either way. LOL It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You cut Watson who is the equivalent of a rookie that you haven't seen enough of to make a good evaluation in my opinion, Now we will start two other rookies that you haven't seen either. What then is the deciding factor? If you are going entirely on college careers as the deciding factor, How can you pick Clement over Watson? Just asking. Age is not a factor as Watson is only 23. Watson runs a 4.5 40 and has already scored an NFL TD while touching the ball only 9 times. It is not like the Eagles are setting the world on fire in the red zone. I would just like to know what the deciding factor was if we are trying to build the best team we can. The kid never got to compete with the others.

3 people like this

I'm grillin Brats in my secret Cinnamon wine sauce,I got enough for everone.C'mon down

35 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Well I am not going to cry about it either way. LOL It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You cut Watson who is the equivalent of a rookie that you haven't seen enough of to make a good evaluation in my opinion, Now we will start two other rookies that you haven't seen either. What then is the deciding factor? If you are going entirely on college careers as the deciding factor, How can you pick Clement over Watson? Just asking. Age is not a factor as Watson is only 23. Watson runs a 4.5 40 and has already scored an NFL TD while touching the ball only 9 times. It is not like the Eagles are setting the world on fire in the red zone. I would just like to know what the deciding factor was if we are trying to build the best team we can. The kid never got to compete with the others.

Well according to your article he was a bit of a slow learner.perhaps they felt he could not grasp the complexities of the NFL.Just a thought