Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Quick Hits: Rookie Camp Ahead

164 posts in this topic

@mjkline1958... you do us fellow fanatics proud brother.... from your hospital bed... you talk about our team...truly fanatical...Hahahaha. I love it...feel better my fellow fanatic.

2 people like this

Not feeling the 'competition' from Steven Daniels. He is like 5' 10" and slow. A guy like that playing LB in the NFL has to have some pit bull in him.

As far as the Oline is concerned there is reason for optimism. Some good competition especially along the interior. I respect Barbre for what he did for us but we have to move on. He just wasn't good enough at LG,RT or RG. He just kinda sucks at all the positions. Hey we were desperate...and needed that before. Only so many reps though so...rather them go toward Warmack,Seamalu or Wis(Kelce and Brooks gets theirs anyway). It is nice to make them earn it by beating out the incumbent starter in Barbre. Any one of these guys that isn't preparing this offseason will be left in the dust.

I think the WR part of this article was well said.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

When i visit people the cafeteria food is tremondous and you get ALOT very cheapl.I always eat there

Yes,when did this happen? Hospital food used to be the worst. Now,like you said, they have plenty of options and it's affordable...not gouging you like a theme park.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Former #Texans and #Eagles LB DeMeco Ryans officially begins coaching career with #49ers: 

Good for Meco 

Dang I wanted him here coaching up our LBs. Future who knows?

2 people like this

Are Philly locals getting any coverage of camp. May get home tomorrow and check online, it's a pain on the phone. Thanks Trini, following our team's a good way to get through the pain - or drive you insane!

Mjk glad to see you on here and everything went well. I recommend taking the therapy if it is offered never hurts to do it even if you are feeling better. I passed on therapy once and regretted it in the long run always worth accepting if it's offered.

2 people like this

Thanks DWD. There's a part you may not know - my significant other is an occupational therapist there, she would drive me absolutely nuts!

1 person likes this

Interesting that NOBODY is talking about Rasheed Bailey out of Del Val. Couple of years back Bailey lit up the Bird's preseason for 100yds. Then he got cut.

1 person likes this

Him,Mostert, some of the guys we just cut, some that we didn't sign like AP. Yet so.ehow this yr there seems to be a plan

I look at this roster and I see something I haven't seen in a very long time, depth. Quality depth at many positions QB, TE, WR, G, C, DE and depth at DT, CB, RB, OT and S. You can argue quality depth at OT if you believe in Vaitai and can argue DT too with Allen but with him being hurt I didn't. I think next year we go hard after OT and LB possibly RB depending how our run game looks this year. I really like how this team looks going forward. I don't think we are contenders yet but I think we are moving in the right direction.

2 people like this

It's really having all this depth at so many positions and the competition it will create. Very few positions written in ink

2 people like this

Interesting that NOBODY is talking about Rasheed Bailey out of Del Val. Couple of years back Bailey lit up the Bird's preseason for 100yds. Then he got cut.

Very good point. With him, and Treggs too, they should emerge from August with an enormously improve receiving core now, and a few players for the future. WR is now maybe the most exciting part of the team, after a couple years of it being the least exciting.

Preseason = football that doesn't matter

10 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Preseason = football that doesn't matter

Preseason definitely matters. It helps rookies and FA acclimate with their new team and gives them time to learn the speed of the game. Can you imagine how sloppy the beginning of the season would be without it. They mention rookie mistakes all year already.

4 people like this

All I know is the season needs to get here. I'll even settle for pre season but i want to see the finish product on the field. I got a great feeling about this year

12 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes,when did this happen? Hospital food used to be the worst. Now,like you said, they have plenty of options and it's affordable...not gouging you like a theme park.

Deb had dinner with me

We called and got a visitors' voucher for $7.50 and the nice lady told us to "load up". I've already mentioned the food is pretty good and there are no messy menus to fill out ahead of time. For $7.50 she got a decent salad, home made chowder ( not canned which may be illegal in these parts ), crackers, a 5 oz piece of unfortunately farm raised salmon, steamed carrots and steamed green beans - both fresh and I snuck an extra veggie to replace a starch  a into her, a pretty large piece of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting ( I didn't finish mine ), ginger ale and coffee we ate watching the boats and ferries coming and going in and out of Lewis Bay to and from the Atlantic. Not bad for $7.50, but no wine service!

1 person likes this

I'd gladly trade a pre-season game for 2 extra weeks of camp. Move the draft up a week

On 5/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, DaveSpadaro said:

January 1, 2017, Lincoln Financial Field. The Eagles finished their 2016 season against the Dallas Cowboys, with a starting wide receiver corps of Nelson Agholor, Dorial Green-Beckham, and Paul Turner. Quarterback Carson Wentz averaged 5.2 yards on his 43 passing attempts ...

View the full article

Spuds,when are you allowed to announce the UDFA's and go into some of their details? Do you have to wait until contracts are signed before you're allowed to print anything?

I sure do wish that they had let Bonnet & Watson ride it out thru preseason. They could've EASILY picked out 2 WR's that they knew for sure had no chance of making the team.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, darksnake1 said:

All I know is the season needs to get here. I'll even settle for pre season but i want to see the finish product on the field. I got a great feeling about this year

I have a good feeling about this upcoming season too. I love watching the preseason games & being surprised at the rooks who light it up.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

DeAngelo Williams to Eagles? Jordan Matthews trade possibilities?: Posted May 06, 2017

By Matt Lombardo | NJ Advance Media For NJ.com-Following the 2017 NFL Draft, Wendell Smallwood resides atop the Eagles' running back depth chart and potentially expendable players such as wide receiver Jordan Matthews, linebacker Mychal Kendricks, and center Jason Kelce remain on the roster. Could those things be on the verge of changing? 

Here's a look at the latest pertinent questions facing the Eagles, in this week's mailbag: 

DeAngelo Williams to the Eagles?-At this stage, it would appear that the window has closed for the Eagles to add a veteran running back prior to the 2017 season. At least for now. Currently, the Eagles only have $1.84 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap. The only way that adding a back prior to Week 1 seems plausible is if Williams remains unsigned deep into the preseason, and would agree to play for the veteran minimum this season, or the Eagles suffer a debilitating injury to one of the top-three players currently on the roster at the position.

Will Jordan Matthews, Mychal Kendricks or Jason Kelce be traded? -If it was mildly surprising that Jason Kelce and Mychal Kendricks were still on the roster ahead of the 2017 NFL Draft, it is downright perplexing that they are still here afterwards. 

Kendricks appeared miscast for DC Jim Schwartz's scheme and saw his playing time dramatically decrease from the prior year. Likewise, the Eagles are high on the potential of Isaac Seumalo potentially playing center and even re-signed Stefen Wisniewski this offseason, which on the surface would make Jason Kelce expendable. 

It seems that Kendricks could be dealt if a linebacker-needy team needs a contingency plan after an injury (potentially the San Francisco 49ers as an insurance policy on Reuben Foster), or Kelce could be dealt if a starting center gets hurt during training camp or the preseason across the league. 

However, dealing Jordan Matthews would be a mistake because an argument can be made that he remains the Eagles' second-best wide receiver option until either rookie Shelton Gibson or Mack Hollins prove themselves worthy of starter-snaps, and he is this team's best slot receiver. 

How will Eagles fix salary cap situation in 2018? -According to Spotrac, the Eagles are roughly $9.1 million over the current salary cap projection for 2018. However, that figure likely does not take into account a cap raise following the 2017 season, and includes the following players and cap numbers, all of whom likely will be playing elsewhere in 2018: 

Jason Peters: $11.25 million cap number

Vinny Curry: $11 million cap number

Mychal Kendricks: $7.5 million cap number

Jason Kelce: $7.25 million cap number

Brent Celek: $5 million cap number

Ron Brooks: $2.4 million cap number

Dorial Green-Beckham: $1.19 million cap number

Jon Dorenbos: $1 million cap number

Assuming that none of the above players are on the roster next season, the Eagles would enter the 2018 offseason (prior to the cap being raised) with approximately $32.49 million in cap space, which should be plenty of financial flexibility. 

I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHERE MATT LOMBARDO GOT THIS INFO FROM??? Most likely a perceptive hypothesis.

Most impactful rookie on Eagles future? -Although the Eagles to have done a nice job of adding talent throughout the roster during the 2017 NFL Draft, and mining high-impact players at several positions of need, two players have the chance to be the most impactful over the next five years: Derek Barnett and Sidney Jones.……………………MUCH,MUCH more to this article

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/05/deangelo_williams_to_eagles_jordan_matthews_trade.html

Edited by EaglesTD123
type error

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

I'd gladly trade a pre-season game for 2 extra weeks of camp. Move the draft up a week

Hey MJK,Glad to see you back on,hope you're makin' out ok! ☺

On 5/5/2017 at 4:19 PM, 1wrangler said:

Well I just don't know how in good faith you can judge Watson's talent when he only played in one game in which he carried the ball 9 times for 28 yards and one TD. Plus in those 9 carries he ran for two first downs. Had one pass thrown his way which he caught for 5 yards. I guess that is why I am not judging football talent for a living.

Hey wrang,I'm VERY upset that Watson wasn't given his fair shot thru the preseason to see what he could do after studying the O for a 2nd year! It makes no sense at all. Not much cap gained by waiving him & Bonnet. As Spuds puts it-"A 'logjam' at the WR position,they could've easily picked 2 out of that core that wouldn't make the team.:nonono:

1 person likes this