Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] High Hopes For CB Jalen Mills In Year 2

115 posts in this topic

It’s late in the afternoon at the NovaCare Complex and most of the Eagles players are long gone, having finished practice, and their conditioning and meetings, downing a quick lunch and heading out for the day. Cornerback Jalen Mills lingers ...

View the full article

" Mills showed he had the swagger, the thick skin, and resilience, to play the unforgiving position in the NFL." This is great and all, but sounds like what any professional would say. So excited to see him practice what he learned and have him be that shutdown corner that we need. My thoughts though is he probably will end up in the slot. Don't know how much speed he can really gain that he didnt have before.

1 person likes this

Need this kid to step up.

2 people like this

Well he's working hard,not resting on what good things he did.Like any athlete you find the weakest part of your game and you work on it.He's not a Prima Donna and thats a great attitude to have

3 people like this

Need this kid to step up.

Too easy to say,not as easy to do.Only been at this a year,so as long as he improves thats all we can expect.I always want to know peoples definition of "stepping up".If they didn't feel he was on track to do that,he wouldn't be here

This kid made Rowe expendable... like his moxie... imagining the new kids together...Mills is 6'00"ft tall... Jones is a 6' ft Douglas 6'02" like our size at the DB spots. If this Newly assembled talent on the D Line can come together we may have something cooking.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well he's working hard,not resting on what good things he did.Like any athlete you find the weakest part of your game and you work on it.He's not a Prima Donna and thats a great attitude to have

Absolutely spot on here! He's got a great great attitude, a short term memory and he's working hard to improve. All things that over time will have us in Philly loving him despite those flaws and despite those issues. 

2 people like this

I am soooooooooo sick of this guy already. His "swagger" and not backing down doesn't make him good. Continuing to want to get toasted is not a good thing. I can't wait til he hits the streets out of Philly.

I had concerns with Mills this offseason. I was worried that all the things that made him slip to the seventh round would surface. That he would just party this offseason. Let it all go to his head that he had 'made it.' This news is so refreshing. He's clearly focused. And he has to be. He needs to take a big step forward. He sounds primed to do just that! 

3 people like this

Mills was thrown into a situation he wasn't ready for. With a year of experience under his belt there should be great improvement. If not we move on.
Fans seem to forget 2 things
1. CBs seldom excel in their 1st year. It takes a year or 2 to get up to speed
2 CBs can't even fart near a WR or they get a PI. (with a few notable exceptions)

1 person likes this

Mills' enthusiasm and developing skills reflect solutions for only half the problems. The other half? Undlin , Schwartz, and Pederson. Can anyone coach DB's?

I really don't get the hype around this kid. PFF had him rated dead last last year. Below McKelvin.

2 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

I am soooooooooo sick of this guy already. His "swagger" and not backing down doesn't make him good. Continuing to want to get toasted is not a good thing. I can't wait til he hits the streets out of Philly.

Whilst I'm not going to defend the mistakes that Mills made and I'm not going to say that he could become a top CB in the NFL... But his swagger and his short term memory is a good thing that will help him in the NFL. And he did make some plays last year. 

For sure he was better than McKelvin despite what PFF might say. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, nottingham14 said:

Whilst I'm not going to defend the mistakes that Mills made and I'm not going to say that he could become a top CB in the NFL... But his swagger and his short term memory is a good thing that will help him in the NFL. And he did make some plays last year. 

For sure he was better than McKelvin despite what PFF might say. 

He was a 7th rnd pick pushed into a starting job because of injuries and lack of other options.
I'm not ready to toss him off the bus....yet.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, ASG15 said:

He was a 7th rnd pick pushed into a starting job because of injuries and lack of other options.
I'm not ready to toss him off the bus....yet.

Me neither... Although to be fair he was a 7th round pick because of character issues not a lack of ability. He was a leader at LSU and bad players don't generally become leaders on that team. 

4 people like this

Stop trolling lol

1 person likes this

Interesting comments on here.Anyone here ever been denied anything for a long time,but kept working anyway? Like that new car you want on the showroom floor,but cant afford?And say you hit the lottery and can suddenly have the ability to buy it.Do you buy it and put it in the garage? NO,you drive it around proudly and show your friends.Another example are private school girls who are kept on a strict line through HS.What is the first most do upon graduation? They go out and do all the things they were denied.Take a young KID and suddenly give them a HUGE paycheck they WILL celebrate.It's just human nature and part of GROWING UP.These kids are NOT 20 going on 35,they are 20!!! And some on here expect someone else(not them of course) to go from "ok" to PRO BOWL in a single season.Well all I will say is good luck with that,but be careful not to be the one who casts the first stone.

4 people like this

Interesting comments on here.Anyone here ever been denied anything for a long time,but kept working anyway? Like that new car you want on the showroom floor,but cant afford?And say you hit the lottery and can suddenly have the ability to buy it.Do you buy it and put it in the garage? NO,you drive it around proudly and show your friends.Another example are private school girls who are kept on a strict line through HS.What is the first most do upon graduation? They go out and do all the things they were denied.Take a young KID and suddenly give them a HUGE paycheck they WILL celebrate.It's just human nature and part of GROWING UP.These kids are NOT 20 going on 35,they are 20!!! And some on here expect someone else(not them of course) to go from "ok" to PRO BOWL in a single season.Well all I will say is good luck with that,but be careful not to be the one who casts the first stone.

And I STILL haven't hit the lottery. I guess i'll keep waiting.

3 people like this

44 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

And I STILL haven't hit the lottery. I guess i'll keep waiting.

Me either HAHA(UGH)

2 people like this

52 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

And some on here expect someone else(not them of course) to go from "ok" to PRO BOWL in a single season

The thing that really frustrates me though? Is that Jalen Mills was a 7th round pick. Sure he had off field issues that pushed him down and he was a better talent than that... But he was never a first or even second round talent. He came in, was accelerated in to the starting line up with a incompetent corner on the other side and people expected what? A pro bowl year from him? He was always a project player to develop over time. And yet despite that I think he actually exceeded expectations! 

2 people like this

GB - you're still bothering to read ( let alone respond ) to trolls? Life's too short my friend, simply ignore.

I like Mills, even tho I feel he's a bit slow he compensates in other areas. For a long time have felt part of the problem has been talent evaluation and coaching at CB. For now I hope Mills is the worst of the bunch to make the roster, meaning we'd finally achieve a secondary opponents need to concern themselves with. 

3 people like this

I am giving Mills a chance, just like any other player, to see them move forward in his second year. I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler either. Just improved. Kinda like how I feel about this team as a whole. I expect a better team this year, and at least one more win considering we were so close in so many games last year. All that with mediocre WR problems

3 people like this

Just give me solid CBs, I don't need a "shutdown" all pro CB and a weakness at the other spot. Give me a great DL and adequte secondary and we will be fine. Lets see these young guys develop, finally we don't have any mediocre overpaid vets who are scheduled to start ... Patrick Robinson and Brooks are on the roster, but don't see them given the jobs unless they earn it, it seems we finally are in a position to give our young guys a chance to play.

3 people like this

I for one am pretty amazed that not only did we improve the WR corps, we worked out team friendly deals and drafted their developmental / replacements. All while improving pass rush  and other areas with productive players without creating unnecessary holes. This hasn't just been a great OS for the team, but the way they went about it, planned and executed together in an organized manner is a big step forward for the Eagles organization.

4 people like this