Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] High Hopes For CB Jalen Mills In Year 2

115 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

(We'll see if last season's long desired WR coaching change will have an effect, by the way.)

How do we judge the WR coaching change the WR unit is clearly more talented and should be better this year.......Could look at AG and Jmatt to see how they improve I guess but both if they remain on the team should be in way better positions Jmatt not being relied on as the #1 and AG at best being a role player 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

You know we were very close to winning some games we lost.I believe the prevailing logic is make a few more plays on offense,give up a few less plays on defense and those games we lost are now in the W column(and not make bonehead play calls on 3rd/4th downs) Accomplish those things and see no reason we can't run with the big dogs

In some of those games we lost... Veterans and Rooks made critical mistakes that cost us... Even with the disappointment in those losses, I felt our rookie HC and his Rookie staff performed very favorably vs other 1yr coaches and their staff's... some games that were lost due to fumbles by Rooks and veterans were effort mistakes. Teams that don't have stable O and D Lines lose...our Rookie Coaching staff even with the glaring limitations on talent and experience  at key positions... WR, O and D Lines, CB, competed at a very high level. I didn't feel our coaches were overwhelmed,  We beat some very strong teams, Pittsburgh, Atlanta some may argue we faced them when they were not playing their best ball. There is always room for improvement, now that our talent base On Paper has been upgraded...I expect an exponential improvement in the Coaches utilization and execution of their schemes, Truly exciting times for our Birds.

2 people like this

This article about Mills and his hopeful improvement from last year to this year made me think back to another cornerback a lot of fans wanted the Eagles to draft last year. Remember Vernon Hargreaves and how many of you wanted to take him in the first round? Vernon Hargreaves , rookie season "starting" went like this. A league-high 113 targets against him and 80 receptions allowed. With that sort of volume, Hargreaves unsurprisingly gave up more receiving yards than any other starting cornerback in the league and was the only cornerback to top 1,000 yards allowed (1,069). Now you know why I don't want to see two rookie cornerbacks starting at the same time in our secondary along with a second year cornerback.

3 people like this

Hargreaves came into the league with that big old red X painted on his back. Certain players/positions can be thrown to the wolves, depends on the situation. Even needing a player to start right away, you may be saving the team and the player a lot of pain and misery by not starting them, letting them acclimate and grow accustomed to what to expect in the NFL.

1 person likes this

Eli Apple is another cornerback that was taken in the first round last year. Cornerback is one of the toughest positions in the game to come in and play well as a rookie, and Eli Apple has typified that expected level of play. He has allowed 60.7 percent of passes thrown his way to be caught and surrendered a passer rating of 92.6 when targeted. Apple and Hargreaves were the two best Corners coming out last year. It didn't matter one bit that these two were drafted in the first round. They both got lit up like a Christmas tree. I think we should all remember that when we judge Jalen Mills performance last year.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Eagles CB position is a complete unknown this year right now but we have some promising looking players.....Mills growth from year 1 to year 2, Got a rook in Douglas what does he bring, Grymes and Smith both had promising pre-seasons last year how have they grown in a year.....Long game have Sidney Jones who many seen as a top 15 talent before injury......And we still have some vets that might be serviceable while we wait for our youngster to develop in Gratz/Robinson/Brooks 

Reading your post it feels like you made my case: no corners this season either

This article was written about Patrick Robinson prior to him playing for the Colts last year and having injury issues.
According to Sports Illustrated’s Doug Farrar, Patrick Robinson is the 2nd best slot cornerback in the NFL:

"Robinson is the most underrated slot defender in the league right now, and he was especially good in his one-year stint with the Chargers in 2015 after five seasons with the Saints,” writes Farrar.

"Robinson allowed 20 catches for just 159 yards and no touchdowns, producing an interception and a 67.7 opponent quarterback rating from the slot in ’15. He’s also a credible outside guy, but when he kicks to the slot, he uses his body control and recovery speed to expertly navigate all kinds of route concepts over the middle. Put on the tape, and you’ll be impressed at how easily Robinson pattern-matches and follows his assignments through the route, and how seamlessly he peels off one receiver to cover another through the catch.”

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Reading your post it feels like you made my case: no corners this season either

My post doesn't say that at all says it is unknown that simple could be we have none so could be a few surprises all we can do is wait and see 

Lots of pain meds make it much easier to laugh off the negative nannies, not that they've been too bad, just figure they're trying out to become talking heads for the Inquirer. The constant striving to improve every facet of this team is finally here in more than just lip service, does this fan good.

3 people like this

I wasn't very impressed with Mills most of last season...didn't see the speed I hope for out of our CB, even though he is measured at 6'ft compared to Jones, also listed as 6ft, My eye test, Mills just didn't seem as long as Jones. We were told Schwartz loved his competitive nature, really began to understand how important that competitiveness is to CB. Against bigger, taller, faster receivers, Mills was beaten or out of position quite a bit...but he gained my respect because he never hung his head, kept scrapping no matter who was in front of him, a core trait a CB must have. I look forward to his growth in his second season.

New Tread

I was impressed with Mills last year. Way better than I expected from a rookie 7th round pick. He did a nice job most of the time and displayed a confidence you don't see in rookies. Got flagged a few times but I like the aggressiveness. I'm not sold yet on him being a long time starter, not enough time to tell, but I think he could be. We better hope so for this year. He's #1 on our CB depth chart.

1 person likes this

On 5/11/2017 at 7:54 AM, EaglesTD123 said:

Jim Johnson was the greatest at disguising/mixing blitzes,showing blitz one time and not blitzing,and disguising or not showing at all and sending the dogs the next time. I wish that Schwartz would adopt some of Jim's scheme. I do think that with better DB play he will blitz some more. Last year he just couldn't afford that luxury,but some games when he was having success sending one or two extra and pressuring the QB…all of a sudden he'd get conservative. Sometimes in a favorable position you gotta gamble.

Hard to put this all on Schwartz. It was his first season. He was teaching and implementing his defense. I just don't think it would have helped if he went completely off script. I'm sure he has plenty of wild cards but this D wasn't ready to implement them. The pass rush wasn't up to snuff(see 2017 NFL draft). He also had zero corners. ZERO! What do you want a DC to do? Pass rush and coverage rule the day in today's pass happy NFL. We had neither. I'm with Schwartz. Just stick to installing your D so that a few years down the road everyone knows their role. That way you also know who comes up short.

Remember, the defense jumped to the middle of the pack in every category last year, after being at or near the bottom in all of them for quite a while.

1 person likes this

New Tread

LOL,New Tread? All Season,All Terrain,or Snow & Ice Tread? ☺

On May 11, 2017 at 7:54 AM, EaglesTD123 said:

Jim Johnson was the greatest at disguising/mixing blitzes,showing blitz one time and not blitzing,and disguising or not showing at all and sending the dogs the next time. I wish that Schwartz would adopt some of Jim's scheme. I do think that with better DB play he will blitz some more. Last year he just couldn't afford that luxury,but some games when he was having success sending one or two extra and pressuring the QB…all of a sudden he'd get conservative. Sometimes in a favorable position you gotta gamble.

Hard to put this all on Schwartz. It was his first season. He was teaching and implementing his defense. I just don't think it would have helped if he went completely off script. I'm sure he has plenty of wild cards but this D wasn't ready to implement them. The pass rush wasn't up to snuff(see 2017 NFL draft). He also had zero corners. ZERO! What do you want a DC to do? Pass rush and coverage rule the day in today's pass happy NFL. We had neither. I'm with Schwartz. Just stick to installing your D so that a few years down the road everyone knows their role. That way you also know who comes up short.

I'm not putting this all on Schwartz, Where did you get that at my Eagle Bro? I'm with Schwartz,he got our D out of the pit of squalor in a near instant. I did say some negatives and that I wish he would adopt some of J.J.'s scheme,but I also added some positive by saying-I do think that with better DB play he will blitz some more. I was responding to someone saying they wished he would blitz more. Last year he just couldn't afford that luxury. I'm totally on board with ya on-"It was his first season. He was teaching and implementing his defense. I just don't think it would have helped if he went completely off script." You're right cause ALL 11 players have to know their responsibility and work together in unison. Once you have that,then you can install more detailed elements of the plan.