Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Is Complete: Now What?

173 posts in this topic

The changes are significant, deep, and potentially impactful for the Eagles' offense in 2017. In the course of free agency and the draft, the Eagles have overhauled their wide receiver corps and altered their personality in the running back room. How do the moves impact the design and upside of the offense ahead? ...

View the full article

Holes on O have been filled it looks like for this year. Great steps forward. Not that it wasnt before but now it really hinges on Wentz to have a great season!

2 people like this

This makes me mad! I wanted the Eagles to sign this guy and now the Cowboys have him.

The Dallas Cowboys signed undrafted rookie free agent guard Dan Skipper of Arkansas.

The 6-foot-10, 311-pound Tackle Skipper took part in the Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp last week as a tryout candidate. The team signed him Wednesday.

At Arkansas, Skipper was a two-time All-SEC player, one of only six offensive linemen in program history to receive that honor. He was a four-year starter and played in 51 games with 47 starts (second-longest streak in program history).

He also made an impact on special teams, blocking seven field goals, just two off the Football Bowl Subdivision record.

The Cowboys will participate in organized team activities next week.

1 person likes this

Offense is solid for this season, but hardly complete. We will have allot to look at after this season. We have Jeffrey and Blount on a 1 year deal. Matthews contract expires after this season as does Peters. I hardly see a complete Offense. More like a stop gap...

2 people like this

I think the idea was, we missed on hitting on a big RB for this season in the draft. They will get one next draft. I am thinking Jeffrey will be signed to a longer deal providing he has the season that we are all expecting. As far as Peters goes, he will not likely be an Eagle next year, but with our depth along the O Line, I suspect we will be ok. Not that Jason won't be missed, but we have guys who can step up

1 person likes this

Yet the defense still needs to bolster the CB position. If they don't the Eagles offense will have to outscore the other team's offense. Could be a lot of shoot out games this season, until Jones is ready to play. Revis on a one year deal? He certainly could convey his knowledge to the young guys for a season. That alone may be worth bringing him in.

2 people like this

Offense is solid for this season, but hardly complete. We will have allot to look at after this season. We have Jeffrey and Blount on a 1 year deal. Matthews contract expires after this season as does Peters. I hardly see a complete Offense. More like a stop gap...

NO,we drafted the future,this was an effort by the FO to buy us a years time for these young guys to develop,so call it a stop gap if you like,but there is a possibility those 1 year players get re-signed,but for the most part even if they DONT we will still be fine next year and beyond

2 people like this

Yet the defense still needs to bolster the CB position. If they don't the Eagles offense will have to outscore the other team's offense. Could be a lot of shoot out games this season, until Jones is ready to play. Revis on a one year deal? He certainly could convey his knowledge to the young guys for a season. That alone may be worth bringing him in.

No money to pay him lol.We knew we were not going to fix this secondary in 1 year.I'm glad we finally are paying attention to it.Key to me is 1)score more points than last year 2) Give up fewer points than last year.I think we will accomplish that.It's ONE step closer

2 people like this

We also have yet to see what guys we brought in can do like Robinson

2 people like this

I think the idea was, we missed on hitting on a big RB for this season in the draft. They will get one next draft. I am thinking Jeffrey will be signed to a longer deal providing he has the season that we are all expecting. As far as Peters goes, he will not likely be an Eagle next year, but with our depth along the O Line, I suspect we will be ok. Not that Jason won't be missed, but we have guys who can step up

RB class is deep again next year

1 person likes this

Say what you want,but I feel this FO/staff have outperformed every other team in the league.We were short on cap yet STILL managed to get Alshon,Smith,Blount amongst others.Just an AMAZING job!!!!

5 people like this

1wrangler, if it makes you feel any better, prolly not, and this might just be me and my take but right after the Eagles selected Mack Hollins as their 1st 4th round pick at No12, there was a screen showing the Dallas war room and it looked like they were dismayed, to say the least about that pick, almost rushing around to find another pick.  Then for the Eagles to jump them after a trade with the Chief to take Pumphrey at the 26th slot must have really set them off.  They selected WR Ryan Switzer at 27th in the 4th round.  Maybe we stole a pick from them and kept another from going to them.   

3 people like this

1 hour ago, stine said:

NO,we drafted the future,this was an effort by the FO to buy us a years time for these young guys to develop,so call it a stop gap if you like,but there is a possibility those 1 year players get re-signed,but for the most part even if they DONT we will still be fine next year and beyond

Oh I agree. Just the Title is misleading. "Offense is Complete" Would you say it is a finished product for the next 3-5 years? that is my point....

Eagles have plenty of pieces on O now it is Doug and Reich job to make all the pieces fit together and field a respectable offense 

2 people like this

If the CB situation works itself out, I could easily see 10 wins this year. Things are looking bright. Coaching needs to improve, but all seem to ne on board. Crossing my fingers!! Just beat Dallas twice and split with Washington and Giants. That would make me real happy....

5 people like this

Stine, I think the idea is looking at the present. Is any offense or defense or any part of the team that size.... EVER complete for the next 3 to 5 years? We should have a fully functional offense this year. QB, OL plus depth, TEs, WR 1, WR 2, Slot WR, RBs for every situation. That's pretty much the idea here. For every type of situation, the offense was addressed. How well it performs... that's another thing. But you can't say they don't have any particular thing at the moment. My earlier posts a few days back, this could be the first season, that both ends in a winning record and you could honestly say the team should look better going forward ... the key though, is the young players both from this year and last year's draft. OL and CBs in particular would be outstanding if they stepped up to show they can play.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Stine, I think the idea is looking at the present. Is any offense or defense or any part of the team that size.... EVER complete for the next 3 to 5 years? We should have a fully functional offense this year. QB, OL plus depth, TEs, WR 1, WR 2, Slot WR, RBs for every situation. That's pretty much the idea here. For every type of situation, the offense was addressed. How well it performs... that's another thing. But you can't say they don't have any particular thing at the moment. My earlier posts a few days back, this could be the first season, that both ends in a winning record and you could honestly say the team should look better going forward ... the key though, is the young players both from this year and last year's draft. OL and CBs in particular would be outstanding if they stepped up to show they can play.

This was kinda my take on the title the O is complete this year nothing else we can really do.....If we really want to be honest a team is never complete ever always adding and getting better look at NE just won a SB and they went out and did a complete overhaul 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I cannot argue that point. I also agree the draft is crucial. We need those rookie contracts to become more flexible with the CAP. Hitting on 30-40% of the picks will go a long way to making this team a contender.

2 people like this

In 2016, the Philadelphia Eagles defense led the NFL in giving up the fewest receptions and receiving yards to opposing tight ends, a feat which Nigel Bradham deserves a great deal of the credit for. He posted a career-high 67 solo tackles and played all but 30 of the defense’s 1,020 snaps. In the process, Bradham made Pro Football Focus’ "Most Improved Players” list.
Now in the final season of a two-year contract, Bradham appears poised for an even stronger performance in 2017. Normally, we’d be discussing whether the Eagles should extend his contract and make the linebacker a permanent fixture in their rebuilt defense.
Instead, there’s a lingering cloud hanging over Bradham’s future — the potential impact of which has been largely underreported.

Jordan Hicks on possible move to OLB: I will play wherever they need me.
On July 3, Bradham will go on trial in an aggravated assault case stemming from an altercation with a worker at a Florida resort last summer. If found guilty, he could face up to 15 years in prison.
The 27-year-old has pleaded not guilty and stated that he expects to be fully exonerated. Still, the possibility of losing his services due to incarceration, or a league-mandated suspension, exists.
You may remember that Bradham also faces a misdemeanor weapons charge for attempting to board a commercial flight while carrying his legally owned handgun. This second case occurred during the Eagles’ bye week last October.
Bradham served a one-game suspension in 2014 for a marijuana possession charge that occurred in September 2013 while he was with the Buffalo Bills.
This misdemeanor citation was eventually dismissed. Yet, the NFL still chose to suspend Bradham for the opening game of the 2014 season — a full year after the initial infraction.

The mere appearance of impropriety is enough for the league to punish a player — regardless of whether his charges have been dismissed by the legal system. Even if the outcome of Bradham’s July trial goes in his favor, he could still face a suspension from the NFL. Throw in the misdemeanor concealment charge, and his odds of avoiding suspension decrease even further.

1 person likes this

Qb-Wentz

RB-Blount/Sproles(assuming these will be the top 2 guys)

TE-Ertz/Celek/Burton

WRs-Alshon/Torrey/Jmatt (wouldn't it be great if one of our rooks could beat out Torrey Smith) 

paired with an at the very least an above avg. OL when healthy.....

respectable looking O on paper want to see them in action and want to see what new things Doug will do on the O side 

43 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We also have yet to see what guys we brought in can do like Robinson

That seems to be the plan. It's kind of weird, that we weren't going to win the SB before the draft, but yet Howie and Joe are doing everything they can to win this year, but tempering expectations because it's still a rebuilding year. I do like the core that was established with this draft for the long term future, especially on offense.

1 person likes this

BG93- I realize we were strapped with cash. I know HR did a remarkable job with the resources he had too. Just would like to see 1 star RB and WR in a Long term contract soon. Was not possible this year, but I feel it must be addressed next. Than I will feel far more comfortable moving forward....

Let's get to the Philadelphia Eagles links ... Jalen Mills appears set to be Eagles starter in 2017 - PFF As a rookie seventh-round pick in 2016, the former LSU Tiger predictably struggled. He was PFF’s lowest-graded cornerback last season (34.5 overall) while allowing a catch for every 7.1 coverage snaps (ranking 112th out of 117 qualifiers).

Am I in the minority when it comes to Hicks????? I don't feel like we should move him at all..... His size is right on par with today's NFL MLBs and he is the QB of our D smart guy.....

4 people like this

1 minute ago, stine said:

BG93- I realize we were strapped with cash. I know HR did a remarkable job with the resources he had too. Just would like to see 1 star RB and WR in a Long term contract soon. Was not possible this year, but I feel it must be addressed next. Than I will feel far more comfortable moving forward....

Our cap limited Howie little but might also have been for the best as well.....We gave Jeffery a prove-it deal if he plays well we can get him back next year and feel more confident giving him that bigger contract.....RB not as worried about Blount is more of a band-aid but we should be able to address in the draft next year 

1 person likes this