Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Offense Is Complete: Now What?

173 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If you are referring to the series of 1 year contracts,then maybe this is not a "win now" deal,but a chance to see these guys PROVE they will/can play here successfully.Once you see that,then you know WHO you should spend the loot on when it's time to re-sign.We win 10-11 games,I see no reason Alshon and Blount would not want to stay put.So "win now"? or is it a plan to sign them long term and be competitive for years.Your call

GBFL, yes I was referring to the 1 year deals.  But understanding that this is a business as well as a football team, I get it.  These deals save short-term money and can lead to longer term deals as long as the players prove their worth.  Perhaps I should have said, "win-win" deal.  ;)

1 person likes this

GBFL, I think anything less than 9 wins is a failure this season.... Of course injuries could change that, but I feel we have a good enough team to be a legit contender for the division. Dallas had allot of holes to fill also, especially on defense....

I like what we are putting together but I'm pumping the brakes also. We added a lot of new pieces on both offense and defense. I need to see them on the field before I'm going to say we have done anything more then improve on paper. Now I hope that we are much improved but with all the new additions you never know just how we will look until they are on the field together against a quality opponent.

3 people like this

Stine, Hopefully everyone think Doug needs to prove himself. After the Detroit, Dallas and NYG games last year ... I would think it's obvious? Part of the reason why I think we are seeing "band aid" type moves... or one year deals... or trying to be "complete" ... however you want to classify putting together a team with fewer holes in 2017. I think its due to seeing how both Wentz and Doug will perform. Wentz in the fact it should help him develop... Doug in the fact it will let us know if he can coach with a legit shot to win games. Kick the FG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, still can't get over the Dallas decision not to kick it?

1 person likes this

Situational football. Listening to the genius sports talk hosts... one who is an Eagles guy.... the typical nerdy 30 something who covers sports in this town now, (what happened to the former athletes????) Anyhow.... he has Smallwood as the lead RB??? OK ... put in Blount for short yardage and Sproles for 3rd downs... how much does that leave Smallwood? Now I'm not saying that there isn't a chance for him to have the most carries, but he shouldn't be the first option or a tradional "lead back" If he gets 10 carries a game I would be shocked! But when it comes down to the end of the season... I expect Blount and Sproles to dominate the playing time over th 2 younger guys (who hopefully take some playing time early to keep our 2 older RBs fresh!)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If you are referring to the series of 1 year contracts,then maybe this is not a "win now" deal,but a chance to see these guys PROVE they will/can play here successfully.Once you see that,then you know WHO you should spend the loot on when it's time to re-sign.We win 10-11 games,I see no reason Alshon and Blount would not want to stay put.So "win now"? or is it a plan to sign them long term and be competitive for years.Your call

GBFL, yes I was referring to the 1 year deals.  But understanding that this is a business as well as a football team, I get it.  These deals save short-term money and can lead to longer term deals as long as the players prove their worth.  Perhaps I should have said, "win-win" deal.  ;)

yeah,no sense signing a long term deal if they don't work out(see maxwell lol)

2 people like this

GBFL, I think anything less than 9 wins is a failure this season.... Of course injuries could change that, but I feel we have a good enough team to be a legit contender for the division. Dallas had allot of holes to fill also, especially on defense....

Yeah 9 would be disappointing,and if that happens,then I fear this staff would be on notice.Luire opened the checkbook,Howie worked his magic,not it's all on the coaches to produce

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, stine said:

Yeah 9 would be disappointing,and if that happens,then I fear this staff would be on notice.Luire opened the checkbook,Howie worked his magic,not it's all on the coaches to produce

*now

I like what we are putting together but I'm pumping the brakes also. We added a lot of new pieces on both offense and defense. I need to see them on the field before I'm going to say we have done anything more then improve on paper. Now I hope that we are much improved but with all the new additions you never know just how we will look until they are on the field together against a quality opponent.

Yep,but like I said,if we can't produce with TALENT(which we have had no had much of lately) then it's all on the coaches

3 people like this

It's all about Wentz. It has been, and still is. We're as good as he is. Last year he was below average and so was our record. This year, with all the added talent, it still comes down to how improved he is...especially late in close games.

Situational football. Listening to the genius sports talk hosts... one who is an Eagles guy.... the typical nerdy 30 something who covers sports in this town now, (what happened to the former athletes????) Anyhow.... he has Smallwood as the lead RB??? OK ... put in Blount for short yardage and Sproles for 3rd downs... how much does that leave Smallwood? Now I'm not saying that there isn't a chance for him to have the most carries, but he shouldn't be the first option or a tradional "lead back" If he gets 10 carries a game I would be shocked! But when it comes down to the end of the season... I expect Blount and Sproles to dominate the playing time over th 2 younger guys (who hopefully take some playing time early to keep our 2 older RBs fresh!)

Who cares which guy has the most carries? Last year only nine teams ran the ball more than the Eagles and six weren't in the playoffs. Of the three who did make the post season, two (Dallas and Houston) were one and done. We were 11th in rushing yards and only one yard shy of 10th and only 11 yards from 9th. We were tied with Tennessee for the 10th most rushing TDs, and four teams had only one more rushing touchdown.
With a QB who had the 20th best completion percentage and 26th best QBR among starters, we led the league in time of possession. There never was a problem with the running game, anyway. Blount brings his experience and size to the position, which are both positives. Worrying about which back plays when, and how much, is a waste of time. We need to pass to win, and be able to do it late in close games. The running back position is deep, multi-dimensional, and will be fine no matter what.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:15 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 0:28 PM, stine said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 0:16 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, stine said:

Offense is solid for this season, but hardly complete. We will have allot to look at after this season. We have Jeffrey and Blount on a 1 year deal. Matthews contract expires after this season as does Peters. I hardly see a complete Offense. More like a stop gap...

NO,we drafted the future,this was an effort by the FO to buy us a years time for these young guys to develop,so call it a stop gap if you like,but there is a possibility those 1 year players get re-signed,but for the most part even if they DONT we will still be fine next year and beyond

Oh I agree. Just the Title is misleading. "Offense is Complete" Would you say it is a finished product for the next 3-5 years? that is my point....

No,nothing is ever finished,it's a constantly moving target.Players come and go,get injured,get suspended,so IMO nothing is ever really :finished" You just hope you can keep things together long enough to win a SB,but once we DO that,we can compete annually like the Pats always do

Oh there is no doubt that every team is constantly upgrading at positions or replacing players due to FA. But you expect 10-20%, not 30% or more. We have 5 on the offense alone if you include the center position. That is assuming Pumphrey can take over for Sproles. We still need to address the LB position, DT and one CB position. Well, maybe Jeffrey works out and decides to stay. Maybe we have a Tackle on the roster that can play on the right side after Johnson moves to the left. Maybe we have someone to replace Kelce on the roster. HR has done a tremendous job filling in the holes this year. He most likely can do the same next year, but I still feel we need some more long term contracts at the Skill positions before we can say "I am feeling good for the Future". We have the potential to do real well this year. I feel we are much better on both sides of the ball. I am anxious to see how Doug does with a "Complete" Offense. He now has a RB that can get a 1st down 70% of the time from inside 3 yards. His play calling will benefit from this. At least I hope it does.

Blount does not get a FD 70% of the time on 3rd and 3 or less, and Doug's offense and was very good last year. With the exception of that three game stretch in late November against Seattle, Cincy, and GB, no one stopped our offense all season. We didn't have a deep passing threat or a break away RB but when Wentz played well we were pretty much unstoppable. Pederson made some play calls I'm sure we'd both agree were bad at times, but there weren't many and that'll be the case with any coach. I love Wentz, but he's the only reason we didn't win 9 or 10 last year, not Doug or the running game...or even the lousy play of the WRs. Hopefully, he'll be much improved in 2017.

10 hours ago, stine said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 2:15 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 0:28 PM, stine said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 0:16 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, stine said:

Offense is solid for this season, but hardly complete. We will have allot to look at after this season. We have Jeffrey and Blount on a 1 year deal. Matthews contract expires after this season as does Peters. I hardly see a complete Offense. More like a stop gap...

NO,we drafted the future,this was an effort by the FO to buy us a years time for these young guys to develop,so call it a stop gap if you like,but there is a possibility those 1 year players get re-signed,but for the most part even if they DONT we will still be fine next year and beyond

Oh I agree. Just the Title is misleading. "Offense is Complete" Would you say it is a finished product for the next 3-5 years? that is my point....

No,nothing is ever finished,it's a constantly moving target.Players come and go,get injured,get suspended,so IMO nothing is ever really :finished" You just hope you can keep things together long enough to win a SB,but once we DO that,we can compete annually like the Pats always do

Oh there is no doubt that every team is constantly upgrading at positions or replacing players due to FA. But you expect 10-20%, not 30% or more. We have 5 on the offense alone if you include the center position. That is assuming Pumphrey can take over for Sproles. We still need to address the LB position, DT and one CB position. Well, maybe Jeffrey works out and decides to stay. Maybe we have a Tackle on the roster that can play on the right side after Johnson moves to the left. Maybe we have someone to replace Kelce on the roster. HR has done a tremendous job filling in the holes this year. He most likely can do the same next year, but I still feel we need some more long term contracts at the Skill positions before we can say "I am feeling good for the Future". We have the potential to do real well this year. I feel we are much better on both sides of the ball. I am anxious to see how Doug does with a "Complete" Offense. He now has a RB that can get a 1st down 70% of the time from inside 3 yards. His play calling will benefit from this. At least I hope it does.

Blount does not get a FD 70% of the time on 3rd and 3 or less, and Doug's offense and was very good last year. With the exception of that three game stretch in late November against Seattle, Cincy, and GB, no one stopped our offense all season. We didn't have a deep passing threat or a break away RB but when Wentz played well we were pretty much unstoppable. Pederson made some play calls I'm sure we'd both agree were bad at times, but there weren't many and that'll be the case with any coach. I love Wentz, but he's the only reason we didn't win 9 or 10 last year, not Doug or the running game...or even the lousy play of the WRs. Hopefully, he'll be much improved in 2017.

No he's not the only reason.Dropped passes at critical times? Playing conservative but not moving the chains,allowing teams to come back and burn our secondary? A team is not ONE guy,it everyone doing their jobs

2 people like this

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yep,but like I said,if we can't produce with TALENT(which we have had no had much of lately) then it's all on the coaches

I don't really agree with that sometimes it takes a year or two for the players to gel together 

3 people like this

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I don't really agree with that sometimes it takes a year or two for the players to gel together 

The more they gel,the better they get yes,but if you have little talent to start with....... now we have it

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, johnreaves said:

. I love Wentz, but he's the only reason we didn't win 9 or 10 last year, not Doug or the running game...or even the lousy play of the WRs. Hopefully, he'll be much improved in 2017.

Last thing I knew…this is a team game,you can't put it all on one guy if you watched all of the games last year. The Eagles had few games where everyone was clicking together.

2 people like this

I know that this is knick-knack crap,but I see that Blount doesn't have a number yet. I bet he's trying to make a deal with Terrence Brooks for #29.

1 person likes this

Eagles 53-man roster prediction: Post-NFL Draft edition (2017)

What will the Eagles' final roster look like?

by Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 19, 2017, 12:23pm EDT

23 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The title says it: The offense is complete...now what? Defense. We are looking to trade for a CB. If Rosie pulls that off he has to be GM of the year.

Is there any CB out there on the market worth trading for????? Sherman isn't worth the contract or the price tag at his age unless we think we are winning a SB this season unlikely.....If we want a good vet CB in the mix with the young guys Revis could be an option....He is not that shutdown guy he once was and shouldn't be asked to be but still think he is a good solid CB at the right price 

1 person likes this

Only other names on the trade market that I can think of at CB are Bulter from the Pats and possibly Haden from the Browns......Haden would likely be the cheapest option to trade for if I had to guess 

11 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I feel the same way DWD. So does GBFL & trini. Have really high hopes,it all looks great on paper,but as GBFL would say,"Not getting the Pom-Poms out yet." That's why I'M DYING for preseason (Aug.10 ☺) to get here!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Carson Wentz makes Eagles an interesting team for prospects: by Justin Grasso11 hours ago

While free agents usually hit the market to get a big deal, Carson Wentz makes the Eagles a desired landing spot for prospects.

As we head towards training camp, which is set to begin a couple of months from now, the Philadelphia Eagles have finally filled most of their needs on offense. One of the main goals for this off-season was to find weapons for the teams’ franchise quarterback, Carson Wentz.

Mr. Wentz ended up playing last season with arguably one of the worst receiving cores in the NFL. They were ranked 10th in the league in the category of dropped passes. Try 24 drops on 604 targets on for size. Eagles general manager Howie Roseman made sure his first order of business was to sign some veteran receivers who were already established in the NFL.…………………………………………………………………Blount told the media that Wentz has the potential to be a really special player and that he has all of the tools necessary to be great. That says a lot coming from a player who has played with future NFL Hall of Fame inductees Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady. If Wentz hasn’t given Eagles fans a reason to believe that he is the real deal, then maybe some of these NFL stars can. As he heads into his second year, Wentz has more weapons and more experience. If everything goes well this season, expect more college and free agent prospects to be seeking a roster spot with the Eagles.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2017/05/19/carson-wentz-makes-the-eagles-an-interesting-team-for-prospects/

Edited by EaglesTD123
add forgotten input
2 people like this

I'm a bit more optimistic than most of you. After all, what will preseason really tell us? - Last year, remember we were undefeated....and won our first three regular season games. Soon enough, opposing defenses learned and exploited our weaknesses - which many of us already knew. Barring injury, where are the offensive weaknesses this year? (Of course, we hope for minimal 35-34 games, but if the defense plays as we hope....watch out!)

1 person likes this