All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. downwithdallas

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Kinda like lane Johnson had to pay back his signing bonus after getting busted the 2nd time for PEDs you do the same with Wentz his contract doesn't change the team just gets back some of that money and less dead money going down the road so it makes it easier to move on sooner if we decide to. Let's say a 6 year 160m 100m guaranteed year 1 10m fully year 2 22m fully 3 26m fully 4 30m 22m 5 35 m 15m fully year 6 37m 6m fully. If he has a serious injury goes to 65m fully same as 100m still covered for injuries year 3 20m fully 4 9m fully 5 4m fully 6 0 fully Like a player betting on himself on a 1 year deal because of injuries we offer him the same thing if he stays healthy the next 2 years he gets the big guaranteed money if not we have an out years 4, 5 and 6 if we need. Play with the numbers how ever you want make them more even whatever it was just an example. 
  3. My favorite... " the QB holds the ball too long" you know the best way to stop that... a WR getting open ASAP. It's why I like Julian Edelman types. Those type of slot guys have helped both Brady and Manning play in their 40s. Stokley, Welker, Harrison, Edlemen, Anendola... all allow the QB to unload the ball early without having to punt all the time. On one hand people want their QB to unload the ball quickly, on the other hand they want him to hang in there and make a play. Really you can't have it both ways unless someone gets open ASAP. Without that, the QB has to make a choice. Young ones tend to look to make plays... you don't wait to pay them until after they dump the ball quickly for more punts. And you don't pay guys $100 mil contracts without a signing bonus. Just doesn't happen. The players and the agents aren't going to not get paid.
  4. Ok... he takes hits... we agree... let's move on to the contract. How do you pay Wentz... you don't want to give him a signing bonus. No money up front. Which means he basically doesn't get a real contract... you pay him year to year with big cap hits from the start. It's really the only 2 ways to do it. You are too focused on guarantee that you are missing this point. Wentz and every player in his position wants money in their pocket at signing. Unless you want it all to count in year 1, you need to use a signing bonus. There is no "injury guarantee signing bonus that doesn't count against the cap" that's the flaw in your plan that you keep overlooking
  5. downwithdallas

He took less hit then his rookie year yes. He still didn't run out of bounds rather than take a hit. Or he would take a sack rather than throw the ball away. Including the annoying ones when he would actually run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. His clock in his head has to be faster still he holds the ball to long and takes extra hits because of it. He didn't run a lot so who knows if he has learned to slide yet.
  6. Are you not going to give Wentz a signing bonus? It's the only way to avoid paying him guaranteed money. That also means you blow up his cap # early. This is why I don't think people understand how the salary cap works. General statements are fine. . When it comes to the cap however, numbers are what matters... not concepts. If Wentz gets paid, it counts against the cap. There is no way around it.
  7. ??? Ok... see a signing bonus... you know money you get when you sign a contract... that is already in the players pocket. It gets prorated for 5 years. That creates dead cap space if you cut a player. So how are you going to handle this with your phantom " injury money" ??? I need to understand it in specific #s.
  8. Again.. . Lets move on and say I agree... phew.... lets get back to what you do specifics about the contract. Forget overall #s... structure a year to year deal for me. Using a signing bonus and annual salaries. How do you do it?
  9. downwithdallas

The difference is fully guaranteed money counts against the cap injury guaranteed money doesn't
  10. So you want check down Charlie? I mean, they could pick up blitzes better... Doug could call more runs, when you say he takes ALot... of unnecessary hits... what is A LOT ? And I say this specifically looking towards the end of last season... not as a rookie, not the beginning of last year when the blocking was awful. You watch film... did he improve on this towards the end of last year?
  11. Today
  12. downwithdallas

What did we complain about when Vick went down every year? The unnecessary hit he took. Why did McNabb start going to crap,? The injuries. Again from unnecessary hits. This franchise has seen it time and time again the unnecessary hits add up and can shorten your career cause of injuries. The back is a major concern going forward but you can't not look at other QBs and say those extra hits don't make a difference. Throw the ball away, slide, don't hold it so long, and go out of bounds.
  13. See... I don't look at "guaranteed " I look at signing bonus and the salary that they are going to pay because it costs too much dead money to cut a player. I think Wentz gets big signing bonus... $50-65 mil. Prorated over 5 years. The guarantee for him is the $10-13 mil per season cap hit of the signing bonus and the dead money from cutting him too early. They will need to pay a legit 2020 salary due to the 30% rule... regardless if you guarantee it or not... he is getting that money because we aren't cutting him in 2020 with $40-52mil of dead cap. He will get his 2021 money because we aren't cutting him with 30-39 mil of dead cap either .... unless it's an uncapped year. So that leaves year 4. We could cut him with $20-26 mil of dead cap... but probably June 1 cut to split it up in half the next two seasons. So you could almost guarantee 3 years salary anyway, because they won't cut him due to dead money ( barring uncapped year) To me that is the sticking point... the year 3 salary. That would be the difference in the "guaranteed " number. You have to look at the years. Not the amount when it comes to guarantees. Using your numbers, you want to give him one year if the guarantee is only $65 mil. But doesn't make sense because it will be signing bonus. I think you miss that part of it when you give your #s.
  14. downwithdallas

It's not just the back though it's the whole picture he takes to many unnecessary hits opening himself up for the opportunity to more big injuries as well as the back issue.
  15. Nope... you lost me again moving away from the back. The wrist, the knee... should be past that now. " Hey kid we are worried about your back, as soon as it's cleared, we will offer you a deal" That's it, no cop outs or half arse offers. The back that isn't healed yet that is keeping you out of action... not your wrist injury from 4 years ago..etc.
  16. Right... so what I'm saying... the wrist, the ribs... all those other little things ... forget them. So I like your specific answer. You are worried about the back. Which I feel is the only legit thing to be worried about. So in reality, the "he didn't finish seasons" is really irrelevant. The back lingering and being a constant should be the only legit concern. With that said... I assume no offer of an extension until they feel the back is in the clear. But the idea... he has to complete a season first.. too general for me. I respect the fear of the specific back issue as your reasoning. It should be what everyone who wants to wait uses as their reason. Not the wrist in college etc.
  17. downwithdallas

There are 2 different types of "Guaranteed money" fully guaranteed money and injury guaranteed money. You could sit down with him and say hey kid we love you we want to make you our franchise QB of the future and we are willing to pay you like one. But we are nervous about all these serious injuries. We want to show you that you are our future but the team as a whole is the most important part wouldn't you agree? He would say yes. Here is what we would like to do give you 100m fully guaranteed but if you suffer a serious injury in the next 2 years we bring that number down to 65m fully guaranteed and leave it at 100m guaranteed from injury. That way we protect the team if injuries become a problem.
  18. downwithdallas

Lock him up long term. I'm worried about serious injuries being a problem not minor injuries. I'm worried about his knees, shoulders, and back longterm. I have my T5 that I brake very easily. I have literally broke it stretching wrong before. All because I didn't let it heal properly when I first broke it. Wetnz played weeks with a broken back, I sit in a wheelchair all day. Not saying that it's going to happen but possibilities are there. There were reports about him possibly having chronic back issues because of it last year. Though we reported that as being false. It's not like the team would want that information out even if it were true though so you never know. I'm not claiming it is before you put words in my mouth though.
  19. Well... the result of your point as I see it. . You don't want to commit to Wentz as your franchise QB with that offer. But let me ask this on a hypothetical. Its week 16... he is back passing and on the move .. he throws a pass and lands on a players foot and gets a high ankle sprain. Out 3-4 weeks. Basically ending his season. No contract extension yet .. so what happens if you are in charge next offseason? Just an ankle sprain, he's 100% in time for the NFC title game, but we didn't get there. What do you do now?
  20. downwithdallas

I didn't say anything about them because the fact every QB takes those hits. They're expected every year. What has everyone said about Wentz? He can't continue to take the unnecessary hits or he is going to get hurt. They said it about Vick and RGIII as well look at what happened to them. I completely understand that. That was a lowball number just to make a point.
  21. Anyway, it's late and I need to get up in about 4 hours ✌️
  22. Ok... here is the thing. Is he your franchise QB or not. That's how the Eagles will handle it. They will be all in if he is their guy. No wishy washy. They have built up a great reputation with agents and players... they do anything stupid here due to "fans" opinions... all down the toilet. I don't see it happening. And to me.. so what if Wentz goes 2019 without missing time... doesn't make me feel any better about 2020 and beyond. He will have just as much chance missing time in the future years regardless of what happens this year. That's why I think that THEY (Lurie, Howie,Doug) want to do a deal now! It's cheaper and you can move on from it sooner if things go wrong.
  23. Yeah, that's not going to happen. I think Wentz is looking at $28-$30 million APY. He'll account for 10-12% of the Eagles yearly cap and people will piss & moan about it lol
  24. downwithdallas

That right I forgot he didn't take any unnecessary hit after that knee injury... oh wait he still took a lot last year too.
  25. Lol... 5 years at $125 would be a great bargain. You get out of the deal in 2021 if you want... with 3 years of signing bonus left on the books. Probably an uncapped year. Most likely we are looking at 4 years for that much... or 5-6 for $150-180.
  26. How well did the O-Line play to begin the season? Right, Foles took a pounding early on too, but yeah, overlook that because it doesn't fit your argument. You also have to take into consideration that he hadn't played in awhile and wasn't going to be himself until near the end of the season, and a doctor said as much. There were times last year he was hesitant, you could see it, he wasn't trusting his knee all the way and guess what, that's to be expected coming off an injury like that, QB's that have had torn ACL's have done the same thing and that includes Tom Brady.
  27. downwithdallas

Again miss judging a comment of mine I just said I expect them to sign him. I didn't know that as people we aren't entitled to our own opinions though.
  1. Load more activity