All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. cunninghamtheman

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

The first thing is age. Carson is much younger than Rodgers. But I agree with you that Wentz isn’t worth Rodgers money. But when factoring in what he is worth I’d say the bar comes from Wilson’s contract. Not that he deserves as much but how much less is the negotiation. Wilson got 35 million per season. I’ve been saying Wentz mark was right around 30. To me it just is what it is. Foles, our backup, got like 22 mil per. So between 35 and 22 is the range for a starting QB. NFL contracts are mostly about the guaranteed money though. That is the price tag that seemingly keeps going up...more and more guaranteed money involved than years ago.
  3. Today
  4. Even Fletch's deal has guaranteed money for injury only. The Redskins had that in place with Alex Smith and are now on the hook for it because he suffered the Theismann like injury.
  5. Jernigan didn't pay anything back either. Its why all the dead $$$. A player does something voluntarily to void the contract... Lane with PEDs... Jernigan with whatever outside activity got him injured. Then you can void future guarantees. But how do you do that for injuries that happen in a game.. lol. The player can't be legally responsible for that. The players want more guarantees in the new CBA .. you can't expect Wentz to take a deal with less than the usual. Not happening.
  6. Two links for anyone interested in the book Barnes and Noble Amazon It's $20 at both.
  7. Who says he needs Rogers or Wilson $$$. He needs starting QB money... again though, where DC makes the point, I think a lot of fans just see #s and don't understand that the structure of the contract is the key. It's why everyone panicked about Cox ... his deal is a steal for the Eagles. I'm assuming Howie structures it favorably for the Eagles with Wentz too... I mean he's had just a little bit of time to prepare this... you know for the most important piece on a team.
  8. The guys over at overthecap wrote a book in 2016 called "Crunching Numbers: An Inside Look At The Salary Cap And Negotiating Player Contracts" I recommend it.
  9. It has 0 to do with him being honest lol. It's called market value, and whether you think he's worth that, that's the ballpark he's going to be paid.
  10. When did Lane Johnson pay any money back? If we cut him... there was always dead money on the signing bonus. I think you need to go read up on that. The salary was no longer guaranteed, but the signing bonus always carried dead money. Pretty much why it was a no brainer not to cut him. But Johnson never lost a dime. Also.. from a legal perspective... you can put in something if a player does something illegal to get suspended. Much different than if a player gets injured. If the Eagles even look to suggest this, it gets around to the NFLPA, all the players and agents... it erases all their good faith that they built up and we go right back to the Joe Banner bs, ...losing Dawk over $2mil and letting DeSean play 2 seasons at $400k salary. This would be viewed worse. I know you have trouble seeing this, similar to why you didn't see that tagging Foles was not the right move. In business reality and good faith are paramount... not just simply being tough guy and looking out for yourself all the time. You have ZERO shot that Wentz's agent or the NFLPA will allow him to sign that type of deal. The idea of the Eagles waiting to see how the back heals is legit, but once they think it is and make an offer, that's it, then they are all in. In reality, I know its not your thing, watching film and scouting players is your thing... but when you get a chance... do some research on the cap and how $$ effects the cap. This idea of real money and injury money??? I don't think you fully understand it.
  11. LOL. Lane didn't have to pay anything back. The rest of his guarantees were voided because he was suspended. And guaranteeing money for injury only doesn't work that way lol. The player only gets that money if he is injured.
  12. Of course I am in on Carson as well however no one seems to be able to explain to me why he is worth Wilson or Rogers money at this moment. If Carson is honest, even he would not think he is worth Rogers or Wilson money at this moment in time. Wilson started for the Seahawks in 2012 and took them to the playoffs every year he has been a starter. Rogers began starting for the Packers in 2008 and has taken them to the playoffs 8 times in 11 years. I mean lets get real here.
  13. That is the point of doing the contract now... because it WILL benefit the team. It is easier to structure the contract now due to the 30% rule. I understand everyone has concerns about his health. However when offering an opinion about contracts, I really wish that people would research the current CBA and understand the 30% rule. So that they can see how it changes things with contracts going past 2020.
  14. cunninghamtheman

Kind of silly debating about signing Wentz. Already invested all that draft capital. The decision has already been made. A games started bonus would be the answer I would think. Should work for both sides. Personally I’m all in on Wentz. Sign him and live and die with the results is where I’m at. Not looking for a backup to carry us through the playoffs again. Just need a backup to get is through a game or two.
  15. cunninghamtheman

Stokley, Walker, Edelman and Amendola are more products of their QB. Smart guys that their QB got them on the same page with....but I’m thinking their QB sets them up and throws them open more than they are unstoppable covers. Harrison is a different story all together. HOF WR in my book.
  16. cunninghamtheman

He could have finished the season last year. Pretty crazy how things went down. He got hurt in Oct. and played up until that cowboys loss. Then they shut him down with the injury. But then Foles got us into the playoffs still. Definitely had to be much thought about bringing Wentz back for the playoffs. There would have been fallout though.
  17. BleedingGreen93

If we gave Wentz a deal with what 80m fully guaranteed we likely pay it all by what 3 year and still have the out option entering the 4th year of his deal.....So if he stays healthy we get him at a bargain if injured we have the out in 3 years
  18. BleedingGreen93

Even if we opted to use the 5th year option and franchise tag next two seasons aren’t we still looking at paying Wentz north of 50m over those two season???? 20-22m on the option likely 30m+ on the tag in 2021
  19. BleedingGreen93

Again great in theory but again Wentz doesn’t have to agree to it he can just say no....
  20. Bennie Logan still a FA
  21. I've had a spinal fusion and had to change a lot of actions and behaviors. Wentz says he needs to change the way he plays, but will he and will he be as effective? Don't see any reason to rush into a contract unless it is better for the team. Optimize risk - if Wentz shows he can adjust and be just as effective, it lowers the teams' risk.
  22. GreenbleedinFL

Got on Fanspeak to mess with a mock.I used the COMPOSITE board(all top boards averaged out), I would be pretty happy if it went this way. 1) Wilkins-DT-Clemson 2)Tytus Howard-OT-Alabama St. 2) Nassir Adderly-S-Delaware,4) Henderson-RB-Memphis 4)Trysten Hill-DT-UCF 5) Connor McGovern-OG-Penn 6)Doss-WR
  23. downwithdallas

Kinda like lane Johnson had to pay back his signing bonus after getting busted the 2nd time for PEDs you do the same with Wentz his contract doesn't change the team just gets back some of that money and less dead money going down the road so it makes it easier to move on sooner if we decide to. Let's say a 6 year 180m 100m guaranteed year 1 10m fully year 2 22m fully 3 26m fully 4 30m 22m fully 8m roster 5 35 m 15m fully 6m roster year 6 37m 6m fully 6m roster. 20m in roster bonus and incentives for both circumstances. If he has a serious injury goes to 65m fully same as 100m still covered for injuries year 3 20m fully 4 9m fully 8m roster 5 4m fully 6m roster 6 0 fully 6m roster Like a player betting on himself on a 1 year deal because of injuries we offer him the same thing if he stays healthy the next 2 years he gets the big guaranteed money if not we have an out years 4, 5 and 6 if we need. Play with the numbers how ever you want make them more even whatever it was just an example.
  24. My favorite... " the QB holds the ball too long" you know the best way to stop that... a WR getting open ASAP. It's why I like Julian Edelman types. Those type of slot guys have helped both Brady and Manning play in their 40s. Stokley, Welker, Harrison, Edlemen, Anendola... all allow the QB to unload the ball early without having to punt all the time. On one hand people want their QB to unload the ball quickly, on the other hand they want him to hang in there and make a play. Really you can't have it both ways unless someone gets open ASAP. Without that, the QB has to make a choice. Young ones tend to look to make plays... you don't wait to pay them until after they dump the ball quickly for more punts. And you don't pay guys $100 mil contracts without a signing bonus. Just doesn't happen. The players and the agents aren't going to not get paid.
  25. Ok... he takes hits... we agree... let's move on to the contract. How do you pay Wentz... you don't want to give him a signing bonus. No money up front. Which means he basically doesn't get a real contract... you pay him year to year with big cap hits from the start. It's really the only 2 ways to do it. You are too focused on guarantee that you are missing this point. Wentz and every player in his position wants money in their pocket at signing. Unless you want it all to count in year 1, you need to use a signing bonus. There is no "injury guarantee signing bonus that doesn't count against the cap" that's the flaw in your plan that you keep overlooking
  26. downwithdallas

He took less hit then his rookie year yes. He still didn't run out of bounds rather than take a hit. Or he would take a sack rather than throw the ball away. Including the annoying ones when he would actually run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. His clock in his head has to be faster still he holds the ball to long and takes extra hits because of it. He didn't run a lot so who knows if he has learned to slide yet.
  27. Are you not going to give Wentz a signing bonus? It's the only way to avoid paying him guaranteed money. That also means you blow up his cap # early. This is why I don't think people understand how the salary cap works. General statements are fine. . When it comes to the cap however, numbers are what matters... not concepts. If Wentz gets paid, it counts against the cap. There is no way around it.
  1. Load more activity