Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butch007

Simeon Rice?

Understanding that the Eagles have more than enough DE's now I would still try to bring this guy in. He played with the Colts last...had two sacks and two tackles in two games and then mysteriously got released when the Colts were still in need of pass rushing. Anybody have any local connection that might be able to turn up some info on this.

He got old.

And he was a one trick pony to start with.

If the colts released him even though they needed more pass rush what else is there to know? Add in that tony dungy drafted him with the bucs and still released him and i think the message is that much clearer.

he is old, but is also ranked 2nd behind strahan for most sacks in a career, no?

I think he had a shoulder injury when he was on the Bucks, they cut him, the Colts picked him up and I guess he never recovered. He is old as well.

If the colts released him even though they needed more pass rush what else is there to know? Add in that tony dungy drafted him with the bucs and still released him and i think the message is that much clearer.

Rethink that, he was drafted 3rd overal in 1996 by the Cardinals.

But he was not 100% when he was picked up. Sure he is older, but if his injuries are healed and he is in shape, it would be worth a look. 1 year deal would be fine.

he is old, but is also ranked 2nd behind strahan for most sacks in a career, no?

Yes, unfortunately nowadays DE's have to be able to play the run too, which he cannot do, he is a sack guy only, and in this defense our DE's drop into coverage occasionally, thats why Kearse couldn't make it here.

Yes, unfortunately nowadays DE's have to be able to play the run too, which he cannot do, he is a sack guy only, and in this defense our DE's drop into coverage occasionally, thats why Kearse couldn't make it here.

yeah, I agree with that. Kearse should of been utilized as a strict pass rusher and nothing more.

Understanding that the Eagles have more than enough DE's now I would still try to bring this guy in. He played with the Colts last...had two sacks and two tackles in two games and then mysteriously got released when the Colts were still in need of pass rushing. Anybody have any local connection that might be able to turn up some info on this.

actually he last suited up for Denver.He is old and only had 7 tackles in 8 games.At the same time though a one year deal wouldnt be all that bad of a risk.Not like we never made a mistake on an injury plagued DE before *cough cough * Jerome McDougle.....

He's finished. Its pretty common for NFL players to suddenly fall off the cliff and be finished over night. Looks like it happened to him.

He's finished. Its pretty common for NFL players to suddenly fall off the cliff and be finished over night. Looks like it happened to him.

thats so weird aint? like there is no slow decline at all..just one day its all over.like when a pitcher throws his arm out almost...i duno maybe im weird for thinking its weird haha

If even the Colts, who loves undersized edge rushers released him, with Freeney on IR, he must be really not that good anymore.

What edge rusher is'nt ,and Rice in his prime with the Bucs was pretty damn good.

QUOTE(notgetleft @ Apr 9 2008, 10:46 AM)

Rice actually played his 1st 5 years with the Cards. In 2001 he became a FA, I was hoping the Eagles would sign him back then, but the Bucs picked him up.

On top of what everyone else said, it's pretty well documented that Rice is an a-hole.

It's a lot easier for banged-up, ineffective veterans to stick around if they're likable.

On top of what everyone else said, it's pretty well documented that Rice is an a-hole.

It's a lot easier for banged-up, ineffective veterans to stick around if they're likable.

I think when the Bucs had those great defenses, it went to his head, more like....cocky

Rice Krispies:

First his shoulder snapped. Then it crackled. Finally it popped.

I think when the Bucs had those great defenses, it went to his head, more like....cocky

That's probably more accurate.

Rethink that, he was drafted 3rd overal in 1996 by the Cardinals.

But he was not 100% when he was picked up. Sure he is older, but if his injuries are healed and he is in shape, it would be worth a look. 1 year deal would be fine.

in '96?

He's old. Let's spend the money on someone more worthwhile

in '96?

He's old. Let's spend the money on someone more worthwhile

at this point, a contract would not cost all that much for him. After the draft, it could be even less. I think it's worth a look, but only if he is healthy.