Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cowboy_ron

Who is the most elusive QB in the NFL today?

At avoiding sacks? When you see a blitze thet seems almost insurmountable to avoid?

Vince Young?

Tony Romo?

Eli Manning?

or???

Feel free to throw it out there.

Peyton Manning...I dont believe he gets sacked off. unbelieveable awareness of where defenders are in the pocket.

Yea, I think the ability to read a blitz early in the play is as if not as important as foot speed

Peyton Manning...I dont believe he gets sacked off. unbelieveable awareness of where defenders are in the pocket.

I thought we were talking about elusiveness here?

It's tied between Vince Young and Tony Romo. It will probably go to Vince Young though because he's faster, but if you factor in accuracy and awareness it's definitely Romo.

Eli? lol not even close.

Peyton? Smartest QB in the NFL, but he also has a great OL and when he's actually getting blitzed and someone gets a hand on his jersey we usually see Peyton go down or throw it away rather than escaping and making a play like Vince and Tony.

Tony Romo gets by on blind luck...I swear. He's just like Favre. Things that should just never work out work fine for both of them.

Getting the ball snapped into his helmet, and his RB snatches it? Ball over the head like 15 yards, and then scrambles 37 yards for a first down?

Madden is gonna get his rocks off on Romo now that Favre is gone.

Jim Sorji. Teams just can't figure out how to get to him.

Seriously, I think Gerrard does an excellent job of avoiding the rush. He's also very intelligent and will get rid of the ball before he gets into trouble.

I thought we were talking about elusiveness here?

It's tied between Vince Young and Tony Romo. It will probably go to Vince Young though because he's faster, but if you factor in accuracy and awareness it's definitely Romo.

Eli? lol not even close.

Peyton? Smartest QB in the NFL, but he also has a great OL and when he's actually getting blitzed and someone gets a hand on his jersey we usually see Peyton go down or throw it away rather than escaping and making a play like Vince and Tony.

You dont have to be a running QB to be an elusive QB.

Knowing when to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush is being elusive.

Peyton Manning might be a classic drop back QB but that does not mean he isnt elusive.

Brady. Besides the Super Bowl.

There's a big difference between being smart and getting rid of the ball quickly so that you don't take a sack... and actually being elusive. Brady is one of the slowest and least elusive QBs in the NFL - he only doesn't get sacked because he throws so quickly.

Vince Young is easily the most elusive. Not only is he agile and fast, but he can also actually break tackles because he is big and strong.

Honorable mention goes to Romo because he's agile (but they gave him 80 speed in Madden for some odd reason - that's more than McNabb or Roethlisberger... wtf???).

You dont have to be a running QB to be an elusive QB.

Knowing when to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush is being elusive.

Peyton Manning might be a classic drop back QB but that does not mean he isnt elusive.

Peyton is much more elusive then McNabb. He's one of the most elusive quarterbacks in the nfl. His feet are so quick in the pocket. He can't out run anybody but that doesn't mean he doesn't avoid a ton of sacks.

Kolb.

That's real funny. You should be a comedian. You'd better hope that what you say is true if he becomes the starting qb in the near future. He's only one play away from being the starter. Feeley is only here till AR believes that Kolb is ready to assume the backup role. Actually, Feeley could be gone before the Eagles break training camp if AR think Kolb is ready. Would they really want to keep Feeley as a 3rd qb and would Feeley really want that?

If I were AR, and saw that Kolb is ready for at least a backup role, I would trade Feeley for whatever I could get and sign an aging veteran such as Holcomb for the 3rd qb spot. It would not surprise me if this were to happen.

a healthy McNabb may be up there we'll see

A healthy McNabb is elusive but sometimes simply doesn't know when to get rid of the ball to avoid taking a sack. Whether fans believe it or not, sometimes the sacks are coverage sacks, sometimes they are the fault of the OL and sometimes it is simply McNabb holding onto the ball too long.

Granted, sometimes the receivers don't get separation but McNabb has to get rid of the ball instead of taking a sack.

Peyton is much more elusive then McNabb. He's one of the most elusive quarterbacks in the nfl. His feet are so quick in the pocket. He can't out run anybody but that doesn't mean he doesn't avoid a ton of sacks.

I sometimes believe that McNabb is too quick to leave the pocket. The slightest bit of pressure and he wants to scramble (mostly to his right) and winds up taking a sack anyways because he won't throw the ball away.

DISCLAIMER: Before the McNabb defenders respond to this I want to say that I saw this happen only one time last season. ;)

Brees is probably the most elusive Qb in the NFL right now. Over his last 1200 attempts, he's only been sacked 34 times.

Peyton has been sacked 35 times over his last ~1,050 attempts.

Over McNabb's last ~1100 attempts, he's been sacked 84 times.

McNabb is a better pure runner than either of them but he's not more elusive.

Tonyo... The problem with your stats is it doesn't take into account the difference in plays, nor the difference in OL play.

Brees very, VERY rarely throws deep balls. He is really a short, precision passer. He's not going to get sacked a lot, simply because of how many quick passes he throws.

Manning is like that to a lesser extent. He also has had the best pass blocking line in the NFL most of his career.

McNabb mean while is a long ball machine. It's pretty normal for the guy to launch the ball 50 yards down field.

If you put those 3 guys in the exact same situation, and ask them to elude defenders as long as possible, McNabb would make them look pathetic by comparison.

ben roethlesburger or however its spelt

seriously, topic over.

Agreed. As far as breaking tackles and things of that such, Rothlisburger does it better than anyone. As far as pocket presence, Tom Brady. I've seen him step up a thousand times to avoid a rusher that there was NO WAY he could see. It amazes me everytime.

I sometimes believe that McNabb is too quick to leave the pocket. The slightest bit of pressure and he wants to scramble (mostly to his right) and winds up taking a sack anyways because he won't throw the ball away.

DISCLAIMER: Before the McNabb defenders respond to this I want to say that I saw this happen only one time last season. ;)

Im not gonna defend it, but I belive its more of his stile.

As you said, he was alot better this year in the pocket even when he wasnt 100% then recent years.

There's a big difference between being smart and getting rid of the ball quickly so that you don't take a sack... and actually being elusive. Brady is one of the slowest and least elusive QBs in the NFL - he only doesn't get sacked because he throws so quickly.

Vince Young is easily the most elusive. Not only is he agile and fast, but he can also actually break tackles because he is big and strong.

Honorable mention goes to Romo because he's agile (but they gave him 80 speed in Madden for some odd reason - that's more than McNabb or Roethlisberger... wtf???).

Have you seen Brady move? He steps up and left and right to avoid the rush all the time. Better than anybody.

I would not say PManning he has one of the best OLines in the NFL, nor would I say TB for the same reason. They do not have to be elusive with the protection they have. Of the three mentioned I pick VYoung he reminds me of the most elusive QB in recent times (2000-06) Micheal Vick.