Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ericmichaelace

Steve McNair

Osi is probably the best pass rusher in the nfl right now. He proved that in the regular season and again in the playoffs, and again in the superbowl. He gets so many hurries and hits. If the rules were what they were in say 1986 when LT had his 20 sacks season or in 1988 when Reggie had his Osi would easily it those numbers. It's amazing how different things are now and how people just don't acknowledge it. The NFL will do anything to protect qbs.

I like Osi as DE a LOT, but I stand by my statement. You talk about Osi like he gets 6 sacks in EVERY game and you act as if Winston Justice being there did not play a part in that.

I like Osi as DE a LOT, but I stand by my statement. You talk about Osi like he gets 6 sacks in EVERY game and you act as if Winston Justice being there did not play a part in that.

Okay what about the 6 sacks guys not named Osi got that game? I think it had more to do with how the Giants were paying that week then with one backup offensive lineman.

Okay what about the 6 sacks guys not named Osi got that game? I think it had more to do with how the Giants were paying that week then with one backup offensive lineman.

I think it was a little of both. To say Winston Justice played no part in that game at all is insanity.

I think it was a little of both. To say Winston Justice played no part in that game at all is insanity.

He got owned. He isn't nearly good enough to guard Osi but it wasn't his fault that the Eagles coaches made him do it 1v1 either. Any nfl coach worh his salt wouldn't have made that mistake.

He got owned. He isn't nearly good enough to guard Osi but it wasn't his fault that the Eagles coaches made him do it 1v1 either. Any nfl coach worh his salt wouldn't have made that mistake.

I rest my case. That's all I was trying to say.

Osi is probably the best pass rusher in the nfl right now. He proved that in the regular season and again in the playoffs, and again in the superbowl. He gets so many hurries and hits. If the rules were what they were in say 1986 when LT had his 20 sacks season or in 1988 when Reggie had his Osi would easily it those numbers. It's amazing how different things are now and how people just don't acknowledge it. The NFL will do anything to protect qbs.

He's definitely in top 10, but to say he's the best pass rusher in the NFL is easily debatable. Having Strahan and Tuck lining up on the same DL on 3rd down is a pretty big advantage for him. I also disagree with your assessment that the NFL's protection of QBs is the reason sack numbers are down. The two biggest reasons for fewer sacks in this day and age of the NFL are the evolution of passing offenses (teams don't use 7-step drops anymore and rarely use 5-step drops) and the revision of the illegal contact/defensive PI rule.

I tend to agree. That was just bad coaching, I'd expect that from a rookie coach, maybe, but not a 9 year vet. There was really no excuse for it.

He's definitely in top 10, but to say he's the best pass rusher in the NFL is easily debatable. Having Strahan and Tuck lining up on the same DL on 3rd down is a pretty big advantage for him. I also disagree with your assessment that the NFL's protection of QBs is the reason sack numbers are down. The two biggest reasons for fewer sacks in this day and age of the NFL are the evolution of passing offenses (teams don't use 7-step drops anymore and rarely use 5-step drops) and the revision of the illegal contact/defensive PI rule.

Uh you do realize that in the 1980's when a quarterback rolled out and threw the ball out of bounds it was considered intentional grounding? Offensive lineman can get away with a lot more holding now, and defensive lineman didn't need to let up at the end of their rush to protect themselves against roughing the passer penaltys.

Dude it's a LOT different. There are so many factors that have been implemented by the rules commities to keep the quarterbacks from getting sand in their vaginas.

Isn't there somewhere else you can go and spread your love for Osi and Eli with other nut hugging Giant fans?

Sad day for me, but it was time for Steve to go. He was just a shell of himself last year and the toll of playing through all those injuries really shortened his career.

One thing about Steve McNair is that nobody can ever doubt his desire. I've seen that guy play almost dead a couple of times and come through. Everybody brags on the Eli Manning play in the Super Bowl, but the best play in Super Bowl history to me was McNair escaping the clutches of Kevin Carter and DeMarco Farr to throw a strike to Kevin Dyson, that set up the infamous "One Yard Short" play.

Almost a superhuman effort. And for the guy that said McNair was never known for his mobility.........................YOU MUST BE 14 or something.

McNabb and McNair are VERY similiar Qb's. Its not a skin color thing. They have had very similiar careers including success and injuries, similiar stats, have played on the same kind of teams (I used to call the Titans the AFC Eagles).

The styles were slightly different. McNabb always had the stronger arm, McNair was a better touch passer. McNabb was more of an agile runner, McNair was a little more power runner.

This comparison is very legit. This isn't like people comparing Culpepper and Jamarcus Russell who have almsot nothing in common other than body types.

This isn't like people comparing Culpepper and Jamarcus Russell who have almsot nothing in common other than body types.

Both have cannons. Other than that, they aren't all that similar but it's enough to warrant some comparisons I assume.

Why is a McNair retirement thread turned into a "McNabb sucks" thread? Sad. Now that the Eagles are no longer paper champions you would think the haters would move on to other MB's.

Both have cannons. Other than that, they aren't all that similar but it's enough to warrant some comparisons I assume.

One is a scrambler bomber with a long release. The other is a play by the system pocket guy with a snap quick release. There really isnt enough to compare them by.

If the rules were what they were in say 1986 when LT had his 20 sacks season or in 1988 when Reggie had his Osi would easily it those numbers. .

:lol::roll::roll:

McNair was an absolute warrior.

Everyone will remember coming up 1 yard short in the SB, but everyone forgets the incredible play he made to set that up just one play prior.

The man was an MVP and led the Titans to 2 AFC Title Games.

It's a damn shame how the Titans ended their relationship with McNair. That was an absolute embarrasment.

McNair :worthy: :worthy:

I always had mad respect for Steve McNair. The guy was a warrior. It seemed like every week he was listed "questionable" on the injury report but he'd play anyway. The guy seemed to get a lot of respect and admiration from his teammates and opposing players.

I kinda wonder if the Titans had won that SB if he would've been a lock for the HOF instead of a borderline guy like he is now..... hmmmmmmm.....

I always had mad respect for Steve McNair. The guy was a warrior. It seemed like every week he was listed "questionable" on the injury report but he'd play anyway. The guy seemed to get a lot of respect and admiration from his teammates and opposing players.

I kinda wonder if the Titans had won that SB if he would've been a lock for the HOF instead of a borderline guy like he is now..... hmmmmmmm.....

I still think he should be in the hall of fame. He embodied what every football player should be. He was mvp of the league, his winning percentage as a starter is off the charts. He doesn't have the prettiest stats but sometimes the stats just don't tell the whole story. Also, he should have won a superbowl. His weak willed teammate Kevin 'One yard' Dyson messed it up for him.