Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasgiantfan

Diehl resigns with Giants

David Diehl resigns with Giants

Giants pay Diehl for successfully tackling new role

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 6, 2008, 2:17 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Replacing Luke Petitgout as the Giants left tackle, David Diehl proved he was the real deal and helped the Giants win Super Bowl XLII. Diehl's reward is a new deal that compensates him for the importance of protecting Eli Manning's blindside.

Diehl

The Giants recently ripped up the former left guard's old contract and rewarded him with a new six-year, $31 million contract. The key to the deal is annual escalator clauses that increase Diehl's salaries between $750,000 and $1.1 million a year as long as he plays offensive tackle.

It's rare for a team to redo a long-term deal toward the beginning of the contract. Diehl was entering the third year of a six-year, $15.5 million extension he signed in 2005 that was scheduled to expire in 2011.

But Diehl was in a rare situation. He made the tough transition from left guard to left tackle and performed at close to a Pro Bowl-caliber level. Since coming to the Giants six years ago, Diehl has started 80 consecutive games. With the exception of Petitgout's release last year, the Giants offensive line has grown together for four seasons and has evolved into one of the NFL's better blocking units.

Aside from his play, Diehl won over Giants management by the way he's handled the transition and his ensuing success. The new contract was signed before the draft, but Diehl kept it to himself.

Great Job Diehl.. He is quickly becoming one of the better LT's in the league... In only his first season starting, he did a great job of protecting manning. :thumbsup:

When is Guy going to get a chance? I don't like the Giants but Guy Whimper lives 4 houses down from me and is a really nice guy. I kind of root for him. Let him tell it, he told me he will start this year but I'm not so sure he will?????

When is Guy going to get a chance? I don't like the Giants but Guy Whimper lives 4 houses down from me and is a really nice guy. I kind of root for him. Let him tell it, he told me he will start this year but I'm not so sure he will?????

I like the confidence that Guy has, but why would the Giants insert him in the lineup over Diehl or McKenzie?

Give him another year or two to learn the system and be the replacement for McKenzie on the right side if they decide to not resign him after his current deal is done. It's not like the Giants have aging players as their tackles, and having good depth at the position never hurts in case someone gets injured.

I don't think giving Diehl a new contract signals anything about their faith in Whimper.

He might be McKenzie's heir apparent.

When Diehl and McKenzie left games for short periods he played adequate enough.

He didn't do that good of a job protecting Manning, he's still pretty ugly from all the hits he's taken. Oh he naturally looks like that? Damn, poor guy :-(

The beauty is that while he's not getting A+ LT $$, there is a clause that allows the Giants to reduce the $$ if he ever moves back to OG.

Reese has had a superb 1st 2 seasons.

He didn't do that good of a job protecting Manning, he's still pretty ugly from all the hits he's taken. Oh he naturally looks like that? Damn, poor guy :-(

He can be the elephant man for all I care, while he is flaunting his 10-table ring.

Speaking of hits, your Oline almost got Mcnabb killed last season. I've never seen a group of overrated Olineman than the Eagles Oline.

Guy Whimper will start on an nfl team down the road. Whether it's with the Giants or somebody else. Tell him to keep his head up, he's a good player and everyone knows it including the coaches and the media from what i've read.

He can be the elephant man for all I care, while he is flaunting his 10-table ring.

And he sure does.

Speaking of hits, your Oline almost got Mcnabb killed last season. I've never seen a group of overrated Olineman than the Eagles Oline.

Yeah, they really suck, can't argue there

David Diehl resigns with Giants

Giants pay Diehl for successfully tackling new role

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 6, 2008, 2:17 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Replacing Luke Petitgout as the Giants left tackle, David Diehl proved he was the real deal and helped the Giants win Super Bowl XLII. Diehl's reward is a new deal that compensates him for the importance of protecting Eli Manning's blindside.

Diehl

The Giants recently ripped up the former left guard's old contract and rewarded him with a new six-year, $31 million contract. The key to the deal is annual escalator clauses that increase Diehl's salaries between $750,000 and $1.1 million a year as long as he plays offensive tackle.

It's rare for a team to redo a long-term deal toward the beginning of the contract. Diehl was entering the third year of a six-year, $15.5 million extension he signed in 2005 that was scheduled to expire in 2011.

But Diehl was in a rare situation. He made the tough transition from left guard to left tackle and performed at close to a Pro Bowl-caliber level. Since coming to the Giants six years ago, Diehl has started 80 consecutive games. With the exception of Petitgout's release last year, the Giants offensive line has grown together for four seasons and has evolved into one of the NFL's better blocking units.

Aside from his play, Diehl won over Giants management by the way he's handled the transition and his ensuing success. The new contract was signed before the draft, but Diehl kept it to himself.

Great Job Diehl.. He is quickly becoming one of the better LT's in the league... In only his first season starting, he did a great job of protecting manning. :thumbsup:

AWESOME

Good for the Giants.

:lol:

"Vin Diesel" Diehl. Pretty good player, but if you listen to the vagiant fans here he is the best LT in the NFL.

OLine is fine, it was Dmac that made them look bad (he did it to himself). The first 10-12 games McNabb started last year were some of the worst QB-ing I ever saw (Ty Detmer/Mike McMahon bad). He threw behind guys, couldn't run/move, and he wasn't healthy at all.... He shouldn't have even played.

Lets see Sheli blow out his knee and come back less than a year later and play QB....I bet he would make the OLine look mediocre too....It also helps the Oline when you have Smith/Shockey/Burress/Toomer as recievers....What does Donnie have?

OLine is fine, it was Dmac that made them look bad (he did it to himself). The first 10-12 games McNabb started last year were some of the worst QB-ing I ever saw (Ty Detmer/Mike McMahon bad). He threw behind guys, couldn't run/move, and he wasn't healthy at all.... He shouldn't have even played.

Lets see Sheli blow out his knee and come back less than a year later and play QB....I bet he would make the OLine look mediocre too....It also helps the Oline when you have Smith/Shockey/Burress/Toomer as recievers....What does Donnie have?

We prefer to keep Eli upright thanks. Say what you want, but Eli has already proven he is a winner and is also proving how durable a QB he is as well. He seperated his shoulder last year and never missed a down. McFragile is always coming off an injury so its really hard to determine whether its him or his line. I actually think its always been Donnie, he has never been a QB that got rid of the ball quickly. People blame the receivers, but I still think its Donnie.

Guy Played in the Tampa playoff game and actually did well, I thought. I think he's going to be a starter down the road.

I think Diehl's success is the most underated piece to that Giants SB.

Who woulda thunk that the converted late rd G would have performed so well at LT.