Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buddyryan46

TOP RB's in the league

I was having this argument with one of my friends..... He already ranks AP number 1... I know he is great but I just gotta problem with ranking him number 1 after 1 season.

I was having this argument with one of my friends..... He already ranks AP number 1... I know he is great but I just gotta problem with ranking him number 1 after 1 season.

If you go by pure talent you can make a case for Adrain but he hasn't even play 1 full season yet. But I don't see how anyone would be ranked above LT

Well I made the post to find out where people thought Westy was....

My top 15 inorder

1. LT

2 Westy ( no longer underated. but I've had him in the top 5 the last 3 years.)

3. Stephen Jackson (complete game. Hands, power, speed just needs to stay healthy)

4. A. Peterson

5. LJ (I blame his O-line and overall offense for his slip in production)

6. Ronnie Brown (the new most underated back in the league)

7. Willie Parker (would be higher but injuries and he is starting to lose that speed.)

8. J Addai (very similar to Westy)

9. Jones-Drew (explosive but has never carried the load)

10. Frank Gore (just needs to stay healthy)

11. MArion Barber (and quickly rising)

12. Clinton Portis ( Redskins need to figure out how they wanna use him b4 they end his career. played as speed back and power back)

13. W Mcgahee (secretly lead the league in rushing for awhile last year)

14. L Maroney (NE never runs)

15 Rudi Johnson (wasn't healthy last year but runs for 1200-1300 yards every year.)

#2 LT

#1 Westy (call me a homer) = reality, look at the (all purpose) stats!

#3 peterson

....FIXED

It definitely depends on how you measure top RBs. As a pure runner, no question, AP is clearly a talented back. But Westbrook brings a receiving threat that AP does not even come close to matching. LT adds that same kind of threat as well. Also, Westbrook is a great blocker and to my knowledge LT is pretty decent as well (I'll be honest, I did not watch AP enough to see how he blocks). Frankly, I think you have to give LT the edge as the best overall back and I definitely give the edge to Westbrook as an overall back compared to AP. As a pure runner though, I would agree that it is difficult not to include AP in the conversation as the best RB, despite only having one season under his belt.

It definitely depends on how you measure top RBs. As a pure runner, no question, AP is clearly a talented back. But Westbrook brings a receiving threat that AP does not even come close to matching. LT adds that same kind of threat as well. Also, Westbrook is a great blocker and to my knowledge LT is pretty decent as well (I'll be honest, I did not watch AP enough to see how he blocks). Frankly, I think you have to give LT the edge as the best overall back and I definitely give the edge to Westbrook as an overall back compared to AP. As a pure runner though, I would agree that it is difficult not to include AP in the conversation as the best RB, despite only having one season under his belt.

It's a tough call between Westbrook and LT. Westbrook is an unmatched receiving threat, even compared to LT. However, LT can also throw a couple TD passes himself each year.

You know what? I'm fine with calling either guy #1. Even if he's #2, it sure is nice to have Westbrook in Philly.

LT

Westbrook

AP

Stephen Jackson

Ronnie Brown (was having an amazing year with a horrible O Line)

The only reason why AP isn't #2 is because we've only seen 1 year out of him. LT is a better runner than Westbrook, but Westbrook is a better receiver. Both are good blockers. LT is clearly #1 though because I value rushing more than receiving, he's been playing at an elite level since his rookie year, and is much more durable than LT.

It's a tough call between Westbrook and LT. Westbrook is an unmatched receiving threat, even compared to LT. However, LT can also throw a couple TD passes himself each year.

You know what? I'm fine with calling either guy #1. Even if he's #2, it sure is nice to have Westbrook in Philly.

Agreed its nice having westy in philly

Well his blocking is a work in progress.

Just a little fact Larry Johnson rushed for 1750 yards and 20 rushing TD's 05' in just 9 starts.

By Comparison Peterson had 1341 yards and 12 rushing TD's in 9 starts last year.

Sure Johnson got more carries but right now he is a little flavor of the month.. We need to wait to see what he does next year before we can include him in the top 3

To me LT and Westbrook are extremely close so you can certainly argue it either way. IMHO, Westbrook was better last season, but LT has been slightly better before then, for example his MVP year (all that being said, I am not trying to take anything away from what BWest did cause we all know he has been huge for this team).

i'd say Peterson is the best pure runner in the league. They guy can straight out take the ball all the way to the end zone on any touch. Is he the best overall RB...no. to be ranked as the best you need to obviously run well between tackles, off tackle. They need to be able to break tackles and kick it in the next gear once you get past the linebackers and DBs. To be the top RBs you also need to be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well and make plays with that. Another aspect most people don't look at is the pass protection, you need to be able to give extra pass protection to the QB and pick up blitzes very well.

From what i've seen so far, I haven't really seen AP pass protect much since all minnesota did was run the ball so there really isn't enough to tell about his pass protection. We know Peterson can catch, but he hasn't really been thrown to a whole lot since again they ran the ball.

#1 - LT - he does everything well..run, catch, block, and on ocassion pass the ball.

#2 - westbrook - again like LT does everything well and while his rushing stats have been great the past two years, over 1000 yards each, he has a lot of pass catches and pass yards he accounts for.

#3 - maybe we can rank AP here, although i think there can be an argument for larry johnson here. The last year he was injured, o-line wasn't there. But when he broke out 3 years ago he was a monster.

to say AP is the #1 RB out there is a bit premature.

Well I think Westbrook is matched by LT in recving. Remember LT caught 100 passes one year and ran for 1600 yrds in the same season.

Ran for over 1400 yrds and caught 60 passes for a total of 18 TD's last year. That was probably his worst season since his rookie year.

Well his blocking is a work in progress.

Just a little fact Larry Johnson rushed for 1750 yards and 20 rushing TD's 05' in just 9 starts.

By Comparison Peterson had 1341 yards and 12 rushing TD's in 9 starts last year.

Sure Johnson got more carries but right now he is a little flavor of the month.. We need to wait to see what he does next year before we can include him in the top 3

you can't really compare starts here. Peterson shared carries during the game and had a decent amount of carries while larry johnson didn't share but finally got his start after Priest Holmes went down and then became the full time back. Peterson had more games played then LJ

1. LT

2. AP

3. BWest

4. Ronnie Brown

5. Stephen Jackson

poor Deuce McAlister.. plagued with injuries and a pathetic supporting cast including coaches, he became more of a workhorse instead of a valued running back.. can't surprise the defense when you run your rb 35-40+ carries a game..

Not saying they are top 5 or anything, but here are some pretty good running backs getting no love in this thread:

Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

Brandon Jacobs NYG RB 202 18.4 1,009 5.0 91.7 4 43T 49 24.3 4 1 4

Jamal Lewis CLE RB 298 19.9 1,304 4.4 86.9 9 66T 58 19.5 9 2 4

Marshawn Lynch BUF RB 280 21.5 1,115 4.0 85.8 7 56T 51 18.2 6 2 1

Fred Taylor JAC RB 223 14.9 1,202 5.4 80.1 5 80T 45 20.2 8 4 2

Not saying they are top 5 or anything, but here are some pretty good running backs getting no love in this thread:

Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

Brandon Jacobs NYG RB 202 18.4 1,009 5.0 91.7 4 43T 49 24.3 4 1 4

Jamal Lewis CLE RB 298 19.9 1,304 4.4 86.9 9 66T 58 19.5 9 2 4

Marshawn Lynch BUF RB 280 21.5 1,115 4.0 85.8 7 56T 51 18.2 6 2 1

Fred Taylor JAC RB 223 14.9 1,202 5.4 80.1 5 80T 45 20.2 8 4 2

If Jacobs could stay healthy he'd be a top 5, we'll see next year. Lewis needs to quit smoking, Fred Taylor is old and Lycnh needs to raise his ypc.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. LT

3. Stephen Jackson

4. Willie Parker

5. B. Westbrook

6. MBIII

7. Joseph Addai

8. Ronnie Brown

9. Brandon Jacobs

10. Ryan Grant

1.LT

2.Westy

3.AP

4.Jackson (when healthy)

5.Addai (yes i rank him this high, that guy is going to be good for a long time)

1. Adrian Peterson

2. LT

3. Stephen Jackson

4. Willie Parker

5. B. Westbrook

6. MBIII

7. Joseph Addai

8. Ronnie Brown

9. Brandon Jacobs

10. Ryan Grant

C'mon, amigo...There's no way Parker is better than Westy.