Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buddyryan46

TOP RB's in the league

C'mon bro. I like Jacobs, but after one season calling him a top 5 RB is like saying Peterson is No. 1 overall after just one season.

I would want to see more out of both of them before saying something like that.

I didn't. I said if he can stay healthy. He didn't so he's not.

C'mon bro. I like Jacobs, but after one season calling him a top 5 RB is like saying Peterson is No. 1 overall after just one season.

I would want to see more out of both of them before saying something like that.

I agree, Blakjak.

umm you're kidding right? you're just trying to find an excuse to put westy lower. that has to be the worst list of all time. Marian Barber at number 6, what are you high? Ryan Grant? Brandon Jacobs? Just kill yourself.

1. LT

2. AD

3. Brian Westbrook

4. Steven Jackson

5. Joseph Addai

6. Clinton Portis

7. Frank Gore

8. Willie Parker

9. Thomas Jones

10. Fred Taylor

I'd probalby bump Addai down...quite far. He hasn't shown anything to me that makes him better than Parker or Gore, and hasn't put in the years that Taylor did.

Not sure Thomas Jones should be on that list either. He stunk it up BIG TIME with NYJ last year.

1. LT

2. Westbrook

3. Jackson

4. Peterson (Let him do more than 1 season...)

5. Parker

6. Gore

7. Portis (Needs to get healthy and do what he used to do...)

8. LJ (Again, I'd like to see more than 1 big season)

9. Fred Taylor (Finally got that much deserved Pro Bowl)

10. MBIII (Splits time, never would have been the Pro Bowl last year if he wasn't a Cowboy)

There's just too many good backs in this league. 6-10 could go so many different ways. I still missed lots like Addai, Jacobs, MJD, and some of these out of nowhere guys like Ryan Grant who we're yet to see if they can do it again...

I agree, Blakjak.

Petersons number 1 because he can do things that other runners can't do. He can run up the gut and at 10 or 15 yards make a full turn without losing any speed. He's the most explosive runner in the entire nfl. Yes his offensive line is good but his team has no passing game which basically negates that.

You can say well, thats not that big of a deal but it is too me because the only other back i've ever seen do that is Barry Sanders.

Petersons number 1 because he can do things that other runners can't do. He can run up the gut and at 10 or 15 yards make a full turn without losing any speed. He's the most explosive runner in the entire nfl. Yes his offensive line is good but his team has no passing game which basically negates that.

I wonder if anyone thought that of Cadillac Williams after his first season...

Peterson is a great pure runner. I do agree, but he has to show up this season too. I can't consider a guy the best at his position after 1 year.

I wonder if anyone thought that of Cadillac Williams after his first season...

Not even close

I added this to my post

*You can say well, thats not that big of a deal but it is too me because the only other back i've ever seen do that is Barry Sanders.

It's relevent. Barry's the only guy i've ever seen make a cut at 10-15 yards without losing any speed. It's an incredibly gift and it will allow Peterson to break big plays where other running backs couldn't.

Peterson is a great pure runner. I do agree, but he has to show up this season too. I can't consider a guy the best at his position after 1 year.

I can if i've seen enough of the player on film. I've seen enough of Peterson to call him the best.

One season man.

Nobody will give you any credibility ever again if you stand by calling a player the "best" when he's only played one year, and didn't even stay healthy.

I'm not saying Cadillac is supposed to be as good as Peterson, but both were Top 10 picks, and Cadillac also had a huge rookie season, then did nothing after that.

I can if i've seen enough of the player on film. I've seen enough of Peterson to call him the best.

And if he disappears next season, then what?

And if he disappears next season, then what?

He won't. I'm not even worried about it. THE ONLY way that were to happen would be if he had a grippling injury that basically ruined his career. You obviously can't predict that. If he stays even reasonably healthy he's not going anywhere. There are flash in the pan runners but if you watch the film on them you should be able to see if it's the line or the player. With this guy, it's the guy. Wouldn't matter what team he's on he'd be awesome.

Go to youtube. Watch his film again.

He won't. I'm not even worried about it. THE ONLY way that were to happen would be if he had a grippling injury that basically ruined his career. You obviously can't predict that. If he stays even reasonably healthy he's not going anywhere. There are flash in the pan runners but if you watch the film on them you should be able to see if it's the line or the player. With this guy, it's the guy. Wouldn't matter what team he's on he'd be awesome.

You can't say "he won't." There's no way of knowing anything for sure.

He's definitely in my top 5, but he's not the best. The guys who have been excellent runners for years barely get credit for it, and I refuse to give Peterson more credit than them.

It definitely depends on how you measure top RBs. As a pure runner, no question, AP is clearly a talented back. But Westbrook brings a receiving threat that AP does not even come close to matching. LT adds that same kind of threat as well. Also, Westbrook is a great blocker and to my knowledge LT is pretty decent as well (I'll be honest, I did not watch AP enough to see how he blocks). Frankly, I think you have to give LT the edge as the best overall back and I definitely give the edge to Westbrook as an overall back compared to AP. As a pure runner though, I would agree that it is difficult not to include AP in the conversation as the best RB, despite only having one season under his belt.

The reason AP cant be number one is because if you shut him down in terms of the run, he is completely shut down. Willie Parker, LT, Westy... Those guys can hurt you so many ways.

Westy may be the best recieving back in the leauge. He is also a killer return man. Just to valuable to risk him out there.

I'm not ready to crown Peterson yet. No one has been this good off the bat so quickly. But i want to see that he isnt a one year wonder.

Westy

LT

Parker

Peterson

And the seriously disrespected Fred Taylor.

You can't say "he won't." There's no way of knowing anything for sure.

He's definitely in my top 5, but he's not the best. The guys who have been excellent runners for years barely get credit for it, and I refuse to give Peterson more credit than them.

I can say I am really confident that he won't and in my opinion he's the best back in the NFL. And I just did. If anything he'll probably just get better next year because as another poster pointed out, he has room to grow as a receiver and as a blocker.

I can say I am really confident that he won't and in my opinion he's the best back in the NFL. And I just did. If anything he'll probably just get better next year because as another poster pointed out, he has room to grow as a receiver and as a blocker.

Well that's better.

But after his rookie year, he also has plenty of room to regress as a runner. He's set the bar mighty high after that season...

But after his rookie year, he also has plenty of room to regress as a runner. He's set the bar mighty high after that season...

He has a special gift and thats not something that can be taught and it's not something that will regress at the age of 24 unless he has a serious injury. It's much more likely that someone older is going to regress.

He has a special gift and thats not something that can be taught and it's not something that will regress at the age of 24 unless he has a serious injury. It's much more likely that someone older is going to regress.

Never heard of the sophmore slump? It's very common for players to have great rookie years, and then follow it up with a much less impressive season.

Regression toward the mean refers to the fact that those with extreme scores on any measure at one point in time will, for purely statistical reasons, probably have less extreme scores the next time they are tested. Many extreme scores happen to fall with or against the initial score depending on whether your extreme score is extremely high or extremely low.

Odds are he just won't look as impressive next year.

Never heard of the sophmore slump? It's very common for players to have great rookie years, and then follow it up with a much less impressive season.

Regression toward the mean refers to the fact that those with extreme scores on any measure at one point in time will, for purely statistical reasons, probably have less extreme scores the next time they are tested. Many extreme scores happen to fall with or against the initial score depending on whether your extreme score is extremely high or extremely low.

Odds are he just won't look as impressive next year.

You seem really obsessed with Williams. This is a different case, the players are much different. Their styles are different.

You seem really obsessed with Williams. This is a different case, the players are much different. Their styles are different.

Trust me...More than just Cadillac have hit the "softmore slump". This has nothing to do with him though. That was simply a comparison to another RB picked Top 10 who had a great rookie season.

I'm just sick of hearing how every player is the "best".

Reggie Bush...once in a lifetime athlete.

Calvin Johnson...once in a lifetime athlete.

Adrian Peterson....once in a lifetime...

Chris Long...once in a lifetime....

Every friggin year, there's someone who's "the best". You're playing a very dangerous odds game by saying AP is and will be "the best".

Trust me...More than just Cadillac have hit the "softmore slump". This has nothing to do with him though. That was simply a comparison to another RB picked Top 10 who had a great rookie season.

I'm just sick of hearing how every player is the "best".

Reggie Bush...once in a lifetime athlete.

Calvin Johnson...once in a lifetime athlete.

Adrian Peterson....once in a lifetime...

Chris Long...once in a lifetime....

Every friggin year, there's someone who's "the best". You're playing a very dangerous odds game by saying AP is and will be "the best".

Players like Cadillac and Reggie Bush are why I hate when people hype up a player during his rookie year, whether he deserves it or not.

Players like Cadillac and Reggie Bush are why I hate when people hype up a player during his rookie year, whether he deserves it or not.

Thing that actually amazed me was the LACK of hype Peterson got.

I thought he was one of the better prospects coming out. He did exactly what he did in college on the NFL level. Bush tried that, and failed miserably. We'll see if McFadden can do it (I have my doubts...uhhh...Raiders??).

I mean, don't get me wrong here...I love Peterson. I think he's great. Based on his skill alone, he's absolutely a Top 5 RB, but I want to see him do it for a couple more years before I'm willing to say he's the best RB in the NFL.

Thing that actually amazed me was the LACK of hype Peterson got.

I thought he was one of the better prospects coming out. He did exactly what he did in college on the NFL level. Bush tried that, and failed miserably. We'll see if McFadden can do it (I have my doubts...uhhh...Raiders??).

I mean, don't get me wrong here...I love Peterson. I think he's great. Based on his skill alone, he's absolutely a Top 5 RB, but I want to see him do it for a couple more years before I'm willing to say he's the best RB in the NFL.

Bingo.

If Jacobs could stay healthy he'd be a top 5, we'll see next year. Lewis needs to quit smoking, Fred Taylor is old and Lycnh needs to raise his ypc.

:rolleyes:

My top 5 backs:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson

2. Brian Westbrook

3. Frank Gore

4. Steven Jackson

5. Clinton Portis

Adrian Peterson needs to prove he isn't a one year wonder before he gets on my list and im skeptical.