Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yukmouth2005

Free-agent class of 2009 appears mighty impressive

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the last year of the NFL's current CBA? Isn't 2009 an uncapped year?

If the owners decide to "opt out" of the current CBA, 2009 is still capped at 123 Million (roughly). 2010 would be uncapped. 2011 is currently projected for some serious strife between the NFL and the NFLPA.

I did a quick search but couldn't find the article(s) I was looking for.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=090...campaign=ec0005

. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- Coming off a down year, but teams pay premium for pass rushers.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Hard to imagine St. Louis parting ways with its most popular player.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– Talks on a long-term contract hit a standstill last month.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back –- Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- At a time when interior offensive linemen are cashing in, the son-in-law of Giants coach Tom Coughlin is going to cash in.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- Oakland plans to franchise him again if he remains unsigned, which is a distinct possibility.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Tennessee wouldn’t let Haynesworth leave this offseason, and its stance is unlikely to change.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– At the age of 34, T.O. is performing like he were 24.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant got his money and Smith intends to do the same.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- Still waiting for his first big-money deal.

Of course, the list hardly stops there. It goes on and on, like the money that could be spent on some of these players.

The free-agent class of 2009 also is scheduled to include Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, Bills wide receiver Lee Evans, Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin, Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia and Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer.

It stands right now as one of the more attractive free-agent classes in recent memory -- maybe the most attractive. It is rare that so many talented players hit the market. But it could have something to do with the skyrocketing prices now being paid to players.

There still is plenty of time to see the list of free agents reduced, to watch long-term extensions get worked out, or for teams to slap franchise tags on their players if no deal can be reached.

But the early indications are, front offices need to get their checkbooks ready

:drool:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=090...campaign=ec0005

. Julius Peppers, Panthers defensive end –- Coming off a down year, but teams pay premium for pass rushers.

2. Steven Jackson, Rams running back –- Hard to imagine St. Louis parting ways with its most popular player.

3. Tommie Harris, Bears defensive tackle -– Talks on a long-term contract hit a standstill last month.

4. Marion Barber, Cowboys running back –- Last season, one NFC coach said Barber is an elite back in the same class as LaDainian Tomlinson or Adrian Peterson. Now he wants to be paid that way.

5. Chris Snee, Giants guard –- At a time when interior offensive linemen are cashing in, the son-in-law of Giants coach Tom Coughlin is going to cash in.

6. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback –- Oakland plans to franchise him again if he remains unsigned, which is a distinct possibility.

7. Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle –- Tennessee wouldn’t let Haynesworth leave this offseason, and its stance is unlikely to change.

8. Terrell Owens, Cowboys wide receiver -– At the age of 34, T.O. is performing like he were 24.

9. Will Smith, Saints defensive end -– New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant got his money and Smith intends to do the same.

10. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals wide receiver –- Still waiting for his first big-money deal.

Of course, the list hardly stops there. It goes on and on, like the money that could be spent on some of these players.

The free-agent class of 2009 also is scheduled to include Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, Bills wide receiver Lee Evans, Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin, Falcons linebacker Keith Brooking, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia and Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer.

It stands right now as one of the more attractive free-agent classes in recent memory -- maybe the most attractive. It is rare that so many talented players hit the market. But it could have something to do with the skyrocketing prices now being paid to players.

There still is plenty of time to see the list of free agents reduced, to watch long-term extensions get worked out, or for teams to slap franchise tags on their players if no deal can be reached.

But the early indications are, front offices need to get their checkbooks ready

alot of these players will be tagged at the end of the season. No team will let super-talent just walk like that.

If the owners decide to "opt out" of the current CBA, 2009 is still capped at 123 Million (roughly). 2010 would be uncapped. 2011 is currently projected for some serious strife between the NFL and the NFLPA.

I did a quick search but couldn't find the article(s) I was looking for.

Well, here's a new one for you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3399645

Note that there is no way that the NFL goes back to uncapped. The owners will probably make HUGE concessions to keep that cap, especially if it gets dragged out to the 11th hour.

Uncapped year would send player salaries through the roof and turn football into baseball with top heavy teams being competitive yearly and small market teams (i.e. Bills, Jaguars, etc) into doormats.

:drool:

we dont need another corner thats going to comand and get a 60+ contract like asante's IMO. Housh is a good wr, BUT I think he gets alot of his catches when chad johson gets doubled. Hes not a top level wr, unless the bengals chad johnson doesnt play in cincy this year and housh still has an amazing year with that cast of wr's. Roy willams is the guy to get unless we get a chad johnson before hand.

Well, here's a new one for you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3399645

Note that there is no way that the NFL goes back to uncapped. The owners will probably make HUGE concessions to keep that cap, especially if it gets dragged out to the 11th hour.

Uncapped year would send player salaries through the roof and turn football into baseball with top heavy teams being competitive yearly and small market teams (i.e. Bills, Jaguars, etc) into doormats.

EXACTLY. Teams like dallas and washington are against the cap, but you need 25% (I think) to turn down a decent deal for both sides. Plus other teams like you mentioned are not going to be able to fight for the good players like big market teams, so they will probally give alittle just to have a cap to remain in competition

Tommie Harris would look real good in midnight green. I would love to see that Rotation. Harris Patterson Bunkley Laws. I cant think of a better player to fit our scheme than him

i agree wtf.. how is barber elite?? lol he's not even top 10. He just runs hard for 2 yds

Love or hate the Cowboys, one has to admire Barber's tough, punishing running style. I am really interested to see what he does as the starter this year.

Housmanzadeh will make it to FA, he wants to get out of Cincinati

Can anyone blame him? That franchise seemed to be turning things around a few years back, but they have fallen back into their old ways quickly.