Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AceofSpades

Redskins Release WR/KR Mathis

SKINS SCALP MATHIS

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2008, 4:12 p.m.

The Houston Texans opted not to extend a restricted free agency tender to receiver/kick returner Jerome Mathis, a speedster who never came close to reaching his potential during three seasons with the team.

To complicate matters, Mathis was arrested for allegedly assaulting his pregnant girlfriend in February 2008.

So the Texans allowed him to become an unrestricted free agent, and the Redskins eventually signed him.

But the ‘Skins apparently have seen enough. With a couple of rookie receivers in the fold (Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly), Mathis was cut on Thursday to make room for rookie defensive lineman Jonathan Mapu.

Mathis technically will enter waivers, since he has less than three years in the league. But since no one else wanted him when he was an unrestricted free agent, we can’t imagine anyone else wanting him now.

Discuss

posted in the I want the Eagles to get. We can't have enough return men who are way better than Reno!

posted in the I want the Eagles to get. We can't have enough return men who are way better than Reno!

Point taken....

With D.Thomas, they don't need him anymore.

And Mathis ? Like the player, but look at why he was released by the Texans... Probably headed to Cinci or Dallas

yeah but i am probably better then reno, should they sign me?

yeah but i am probably better then reno, should they sign me?

What's your 40?

Mathis is a burner but he has been injured and played in like 4 games in two years. He also had some character issues. The skins have a lot of options without him though. Devin Thomas, Justin Tryon, Randle El, Rock Cartright, Ladell Betts heck if one of the rookies contributes enough it would be somthing to see Moss back returning punts at Miami and with the Jets he was one of the best in the league. We also still have James Thrash LOL

Mathis = James Hardy Left in the Dryer too Long

Lets sign him to appease all TATERs. They are longing for a pregnant girlfriend beater.

Awesome, lets get a guy who beat up his pregnant girlfriend. Are we the freakin cowboys? Or the skins, since they signed him after the news came out.

Pathetic.

Awesome, lets get a guy who beat up his pregnant girlfriend. Are we the freakin cowboys? Or the skins, since they signed him after the news came out.

Pathetic.

The charges were dropped by the woman he allegedly punched. But yes, he is a big character concern and im happy to see the Skins release him. But nonetheless he was a pro bowl kick returner.

The charges were dropped by the woman he allegedly punched. But yes, he is a big character concern and im happy to see the Skins release him. But nonetheless he was a pro bowl kick returner.

So as long as charges were dropped, it didn't happen. Right? Couldnt' be that she didn't want to cut off any source of income or anything like that.

Scum. Skins are scum for signing him. The cowboys are scum and I'm sure are taking a serious look at him.

So as long as charges were dropped, it didn't happen. Right? Couldnt' be that she didn't want to cut off any source of income or anything like that.

Scum. Skins are scum for signing him. The cowboys are scum and I'm sure are taking a serious look at him.

He was camp fodder, whats the big deal?

With Pacman and now Felix Jones, why would your little simple mind think that?

With Pacman and now Felix Jones, why would your little simple mind think that?

Who says Jones will be reinstated and doesn't it always help to have somebody who's been a returner at the NFL level as an insurance policy?

So this year our returners will be Jackson, Demps, and possibly Reed and Sheppard. Aside from Mathis' off field issues why would we occupy another roster spot on a guy that is just a returner? Wasn't that the problem with Mahe in the first place? All he could do is return. No other contributions to the team.

So this year our returners will be Jackson, Demps, and possibly Reed and Sheppard. Aside from Mathis' off field issues why would we occupy another roster spot on a guy that is just a returner? Wasn't that the problem with Mahe in the first place? All he could do is return. No other contributions to the team.

Mahe actually had pretty good hands out of the back field... i mean he didn't get any YAC, but still was very sure handed.

I agree this would be a wasted roster spot.

Pathetic.

Uhmm, they have rings, so, no. :P