Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot Head Jake

Let's Stir the Pot a Little More

First Place: Cowboys.

This team had the talent last year but was still trying to find its identity. Wade Phillips was still new to the team (and vice versa) which culminated in some judgment errors down the stretch. That is less likely to happen this year. Jerry Jones doesn't seem to care about the makeup of a man's character when selecting his players. So far it has worked to his advantage. The team already had a good core but with the addition of Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones (assuming he will play this year), their defense is shifting into a whole new level. Pacman will also make a big difference on ST's. Romo looked good when he was still green. He should be getting used to playing at a high level in the NFL and should be able to rid himself of the sophomoric mistakes of the past. The biggest question is whether or not this team will wear down at the end of the season.

Second Place: Giants.

The Giants had all the stars align for them last year. They hit their stride at just the right time. Everybody knows defense wins championships and this team definitely has the defense. Plaxico is a weapon that I still wish we had in our arsenal. Eli is finally going to develop the confidence/swagger that people wanted from him in the past. The players can also put aside their feud with head coach, Tom Coughlin. They can now buy into his philosophy 100% because it is proven. But pulling everything together this year will be a lot harder since they no longer will be flying under the proverbial radar of most teams and their schedule won't be so accommodating. Talent-wise, the Cowboys are better (at least on paper) so let's see if this team has the heart to repeat.

Third Place: Eagles.

Although this team seems to make a lot of game-day mistakes, they do eventually correct them. It's highly unlikely that the Eagles will go into the season without a punt returner. It's also unlikely that this coaching staff will give us a repeat of the Winston Justice debacle against the Giants. If this coaching staff ever stepped back to self evaluate and became proactive instead of reactive, they might just have something again. Adding Booker to the backfield could prove to be a smart move. The team can't depend on Westbrook carrying the lion's share of the offensive load every year and Booker may be just what the doctor ordered. The LB corps and defensive backfield should be fun to watch this year. Both have the potential to be incredibly explosive or an incredible disappointment. The team is very young, and barring Brian Westbrook, Shawn Andrews, Asante Samuel and a handful of guys that have the "potential" to be very good players, there don't seem to be any "stars" or "standout" names on the roster. If some of the guys with "potential" can fulfill their promise, this team could ascend back to the top, quickly.

Last Place: Redskins.

Washington has some good players at the right positions and it seems that this team has finally adopted a long-term plan. It looks like Dan Snyder has given up on buying every big name out there. Some may point to the recent trade for Erasmus James as "the same 'ole song and dance" but they only gave up a conditional 7th round pick for a previous 1st round selection with a repaired knee (sounds like something the Eagles would do). IMO this team is finally on the right track to success. I'm still not sold on Jason Campbell but their group of WR's has the potential to be explosive in another year or two. And even though the Redskins made the playoffs last year, this team is obviously in a rebuilding phase. It seems the Redskins have taken a page from the Eagles playbook in hiring Mike Holmgren's QB coach (which Andy Reid once was) as their new head coach. Zorn brought offensive coordinator Sherman Smith with him and the team will transition to the WCO. So much change - in both personnel and philosophy - is why I have the Redskins finishing last. But I see a bright future for this team.

As of RIGHT NOW the Cowboys and Giants have to be listed ahead of the Eagles and you could also make a case for the Redskins. The Eagles could easily win the division but until they prove it on the field they are still the 24-24 team we have seen the last 3 seasons that has finished in last place twice.

#5 missed that one :lol:

I debated putting Donovan on the list of "great Eagles players". But not being able to complete a season due to injury (or the excuse of recovering from one) in 4 of the last 5 years doesn't warrant it IMO. He is still a very good player but I think this team will be fine without him when he is eventually replaced. I know I'm going to take a lot of crap for that statement but it is my personal opinion. Anyone that wants to add Donovan to the list of current Eagles greats is perfectly welcome to do so. And I really wouldn't spend much time arguing the point.

I debated putting Donovan on the list of "great Eagles players". But not being able to complete a season due to injury (or the excuse of recovering from one) in 4 of the last 5 years doesn't warrant it IMO. He is still a very good player but I think this team will be fine without him when he is eventually replaced. I know I'm going to take a lot of crap for that statement but it is my personal opinion. Anyone that wants to add Donovan to the list of current Eagles greats is perfectly welcome to do so. And I really wouldn't spend much time arguing the point.

Yea they pissed away his best years, Not using your top picks two years straight kinda shows were there head is. Qb's grow on trees we have had a ton of them in this town for the last 30 years.

I think you're wrong on the cowboys. Their late season swoon wasn't an anomaly. It showed some real problems that haven't yet been fixed. They had a lot of luck with their schedule last year as well. I see them as a 9-7 team this year.

I think all the NFC east teams probably have 9-7 talent... whether they play above or below that remains to be seen. It's far too early to make a real guess yet.

I agree with foos, it's hard to make predictions right now. That said, I think the Giants are more talented and deeper than the team that won the SB last year. Unfortunately they'll be taking every team's best shot week after week and that historically wears on the champs. The Boys are loaded on both sides of the ball, but I'm not sure they are as complete a "team" as the Giants. More talented, yes, better, not so sure. The Eagles defense looks pretty scary. The secondary is lights out and the front 7 could be dangerous if some young players reach their potential. The offense is still all about Westy. Keep him healthy and they'll score. I have no clue what to say about the Skins. The have the least amount of talent in the division, but always seem to put together a nice mid season run to keep them in the mix. If their young QB takes the next step they could challenge.

I agree with foos, it's hard to make predictions right now. That said, I think the Giants are more talented and deeper than the team that won the SB last year. Unfortunately they'll be taking every team's best shot week after week and that historically wears on the champs. The Boys are loaded on both sides of the ball, but I'm not sure they are as complete a "team" as the Giants. More talented, yes, better, not so sure. The Eagles defense looks pretty scary. The secondary is lights out and the front 7 could be dangerous if some young players reach their potential. The offense is still all about Westy. Keep him healthy and they'll score. I have no clue what to say about the Skins. The have the least amount of talent in the division, but always seem to put together a nice mid season run to keep them in the mix. If their young QB takes the next step they could challenge.

I don't like the Skins at all this year...they don't have much talent..the QB is learning a new system again, new coaches, etc...I'd be counting down til the Caps open up if I was a Washington fan...

:D

I think you're wrong on the cowboys. Their late season swoon wasn't an anomaly. It showed some real problems that haven't yet been fixed. They had a lot of luck with their schedule last year as well. I see them as a 9-7 team this year.

I think all the NFC east teams probably have 9-7 talent... whether they play above or below that remains to be seen. It's far too early to make a real guess yet.

I won't predict wins and loses, but I agree with the idea of a fairly even matched talent pool in the division and with your take on the Cowboys.

I also see Wade Phillips as the poor man's Buddy Ryan -all bluster, no playoff payoffs.

I agree with foos, it's hard to make predictions right now. That said, I think the Giants are more talented and deeper than the team that won the SB last year.

I fail to see how you could make the argument that the defense is not less deep than it was with the losses of Wilson, Mitchell, and Torbor? They are certainly less deep than they were. THis is not to say they'll be bad or anything, but they aren't as deep. If on the off chance Strahan retires, the defense will be dramatically less deep.

The Giants are really hoping that certain young players will step up to fill gaps, just like many teams. It may well end up that these guys prove to be more depth and even better than who they replaced... but on paper right now they're clearly not as deep esp on the defensive side of the ball.

I fail to see how you could make the argument that the defense is not less deep than it was with the losses of Wilson, Mitchell, and Torbor? They are certainly less deep than they were. THis is not to say they'll be bad or anything, but they aren't as deep. If on the off chance Strahan retires, the defense will be dramatically less deep.

Torbor was a backup and is easily replaced. Kiwi is the starter at that position and is an upgrade. Wilkinson is penciled in to take Mitchell's spot and most believe he will be an upgrade at that position as well. He's younger and faster. He was banged up at the beginning of last year and wasn't able to get the starting spot. Once he started playing the FO knew they could let Mitchell walk. We signed Danny Clark (who is a very similar player to Mitchell) for depth.

It sucks that Wilson is gone, but Sammy Knight was signed to hold down the fort til Phillips is ready...which will probably be soon.

If 92 retires then we're thinner at DE no doubt, but as of right now, this is a deeper, faster, younger team than last year's version.

We're also deeper at WR and RB this season. We actually have depth at QB as well. I think this Woodson kid could be pretty good and Carr is talented, just needs a line in front of him.

I think PHI, NYG and DAL are all playoff teams. Not sure what order, I'd probably give DAL the edge in the division though

Torbor was a backup and is easily replaced. Kiwi is the starter at that position and is an upgrade. Wilkinson is penciled in to take Mitchell's spot and most believe he will be an upgrade at that posiiton as well. He's younger and faster. He was banged up at the beginning of last year and wasn't able to get the starting spot. Once he started playing the FO knew they could let Mitchell walk. We signed Danny Clark (who is a very similar player to Mitchell) for depth.

That's a lot of ifs and more proof that the depth is not there. You may think that some of these players will end up being better than the departed ones(and maybe they will), but the fact is that with the current and former guys together last year you had real depth. There can be no doubt that there is less depth this year with those guys gone.

We'll see if all goes well for you and all these young guys you're talking about do the job. But if you still had veteran guys like Mitchell, Torbor, and Wilson you'd be much deeper than you are now. It's hard to argue that.

Torbor was a backup and is easily replaced. Kiwi is the starter at that position and is an upgrade. Wilkinson is penciled in to take Mitchell's spot and most believe he will be an upgrade at that position as well. He's younger and faster. He was banged up at the beginning of last year and wasn't able to get the starting spot. Once he started playing the FO knew they could let Mitchell walk. We signed Danny Clark (who is a very similar player to Mitchell) for depth.

It sucks that Wilson is gone, but Sammy Knight was signed to hold down the fort til Phillips is ready...which will probably be soon.

If 92 retires then we're thinner at DE no doubt, but as of right now, this is a deeper, faster, younger team than last year's version.

I really hope Phillips is ready to start week 1...and I hope by the end of the season, Michael Johnson is the other starting safety with him...I really like the talent Reese has brought to the supposed weak link of the defense--the secondary--the last 2 years...

That's a lot of ifs and more proof that the depth is not there. You may think that some of these players will end up being better than the departed ones(and maybe they will), but the fact is that with the current and former guys together last year you had real depth. There can be no doubt that there is less depth this year with those guys gone.

We'll see if all goes well for you and all these young guys you're talking about do the job. But if you still had veteran guys like Mitchell, Torbor, and Wilson you'd be much deeper than you are now. It's hard to argue that.

It's not really that many ifs at all. Like I said, Torbor was a career back up. Kiwi is the starter and will certainly be better than him. This will be Wilkinson's third season. Giants coaches and fans already know he's pretty good, at the very least the equal to Mitchell. Phillips is really the only question mark since he's a rookie.

Strahan is the only thing that worries me right now.

I really hope Phillips is ready to start week 1...and I hope by the end of the season, Michael Johnson is the other starting safety with him...I really like the talent Reese has brought to the supposed weak link of the defense--the secondary--the last 2 years...

I would love to see those two kids play together for the next 5 seasons. Speed, ball skills and hitting. I'll take it. It's also nice to see a number of capable CBs in camp. The Giants are taking a page out of the Eagles play book and stock piling secondary players. Spags must be thrilled.

It's not really that many ifs at all. Like I said, Torbor was a career back up. Kiwi is the starter and will certainly be better than him. This will be Wilkinson's third season. Giants coaches and fans already know he's pretty good, at the very least the equal to Mitchell. Phillips is really the only question mark since he's a rookie.

Strahan is the only thing that worries me right now.

Last summer when evaluating the LB's on the Giants on his radio show, Bob Papa said "Reggie Torber stinks"...that's all you need to know about him...Mitchell played well, but so did Gerris Wilkenson when he played the position..

I would love to see those two kids play together for the next 5 seasons. Speed, ball skills and hitting. I'll take it. It's also nice to see a number of capable CBs in camp. The Giants are taking a page out of the Eagles play book and stock piling secondary players. Spags must be thrilled.

I read before the draft that Spags LOVED KP...the more I read about Terrell Thomas, the more I like him too...Like I said, Reese has upgraded the level of talent in the secondary..I really hope opposing coaching staffs believe they still suck...

This team had the talent last year but was still trying to find its identity. Wade Phillips was still new to the team (and vice versa) which culminated in some judgment errors down the stretch. That is less likely to happen this year. Jerry Jones doesn't seem to care about the makeup of a man's character when selecting his players. So far it has worked to his advantage. The team already had a good core but with the addition of Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones (assuming he will play this year), their defense is shifting into a whole new level. Pacman will also make a big difference on ST's. Romo looked good when he was still green. He should be getting used to playing at a high level in the NFL and should be able to rid himself of the sophomoric mistakes of the past. The biggest question is whether or not this team will wear down at the end of the season.

The Giants had all the stars align for them last year. They hit their stride at just the right time. Everybody knows defense wins championships and this team definitely has the defense. Plaxico is a weapon that I still wish we had in our arsenal. Eli is finally going to develop the confidence/swagger that people wanted from him in the past. The players can also put aside their feud with head coach, Tom Coughlin. They can now buy into his philosophy 100% because it is proven. But pulling everything together this year will be a lot harder since they no longer will be flying under the proverbial radar of most teams and their schedule won't be so accommodating. Talent-wise, the Cowboys are better (at least on paper) so let's see if this team has the heart to repeat.

Although this team seems to make a lot of game-day mistakes, they do eventually correct them. It's highly unlikely that the Eagles will go into the season without a punt returner. It's also unlikely that this coaching staff will give us a repeat of the Winston Justice debacle against the Giants. If this coaching staff ever stepped back to self evaluate and became proactive instead of reactive, they might just have something again. Adding Booker to the backfield could prove to be a smart move. The team can't depend on Westbrook carrying the lion's share of the offensive load every year and Booker may be just what the doctor ordered. The LB corps and defensive backfield should be fun to watch this year. Both have the potential to be incredibly explosive or an incredible disappointment. The team is very young, and barring Brian Westbrook, Shawn Andrews, Asante Samuel and a handful of guys that have the "potential" to be very good players, there don't seem to be any "stars" or "standout" names on the roster. If some of the guys with "potential" can fulfill their promise, this team could ascend back to the top, quickly.

Washington has some good players at the right positions and it seems that this team has finally adopted a long-term plan. It looks like Dan Snyder has given up on buying every big name out there. Some may point to the recent trade for Erasmus James as "the same 'ole song and dance" but they only gave up a conditional 7th round pick for a previous 1st round selection with a repaired knee (sounds like something the Eagles would do). IMO this team is finally on the right track to success. I'm still not sold on Jason Campbell but their group of WR's has the potential to be explosive in another year or two. And even though the Redskins made the playoffs last year, this team is obviously in a rebuilding phase. It seems the Redskins have taken a page from the Eagles playbook in hiring Mike Holmgren's QB coach (which Andy Reid once was) as their new head coach. Zorn brought offensive coordinator Sherman Smith with him and the team will transition to the WCO. So much change - in both personnel and philosophy - is why I have the Redskins finishing last. But I see a bright future for this team.

Next time just talk to yourself.

I don't like the Skins at all this year...they don't have much talent..the QB is learning a new system again, new coaches, etc...I'd be counting down til the Caps open up if I was a Washington fan...

:D

We have a lot of talent on our roster, especially after the draft. Our only downside is that we are learning a new offense. The defense has a new coordinator but is running the same scheme. But remember we have 5 pre-season games to install the offense and Campbell played in the West Coast offense in college.

First and foremost as good as the Cowboys look on paper. some of us need to stop putting a crown on them like they are the second coming. The Cowboys are going to upset a lot of believers. I think we need to wait for the season to start. I remember alot of the Media and the fans of the Eagles and other teamfans did the same thing with the Eagles and we all saw what happened. WAIT

going 2-2 is a big "swoon", especially when one of those loses was the last game of the year and a few starters did not play and many more sat down after the first series or two of the 3rd quarter, going against a division rival that had to win the game to make the playoffs.

what luck did they have with their schedule that other people didn't have? they had just about the same schedule as the Eagles and Giants

The Giants and Cowboys have the same talent level, with the Eagles only a shade below if at all, I think all 3 teams have 11-5 talent.

going 2-2 is a big "swoon", especially when one of those loses was the last game of the year and a few starters did not play and many more sat down after the first series or two of the 3rd quarter, going against a division rival that had to win the game to make the playoffs.

what luck did they have with their schedule that other people didn't have? they had just about the same schedule as the Eagles and Giants

The Giants and Cowboys have the same talent level, with the Eagles only a shade below if at all, I think all 3 teams have 11-5 talent.

Nope..only SD has the amount of talent as the Cowboys...sadly, because of the ineptitude of their 2 head coaches, we won't have either of these 2 talent-laden teams in Tampa this year...

:P