Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hot Head Jake

Let's Stir the Pot a Little More

Nope..only SD has the amount of talent as the Cowboys...sadly, because of the ineptitude of their 2 head coaches, we won't have either of these 2 talent-laden teams in Tampa this year...

:P

To me it just depends on a few things 1. Pacman getting reinstated, 2. How much Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins can contribute as rookies and the health of TO, if those things work out Dallas could be very good this year. As far as Phillips? He's a bumbling idiot, but heck, If Barry Switzer can win a title, so can Phillips.

To me it just depends on a few things 1. Pacman getting reinstated, 2. How much Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins can contribute as rookies and the health of TO, if those things work out Dallas could be very good this year. As far as Phillips? He's a bumbling idiot, but heck, If Barry Switzer can win a title, so can Phillips.

Switzer inherited a team who KNEW how to win in the playoffs (and having a great winning QB, RB, and dynamic WR helped too)...this group is still searching...

Switzer inherited a team who KNEW how to win in the playoffs...this group is still searching...

very true

but we are talking about a coach who used to eat hotdogs during the games on the sideline and who once got to practice and after 15 or 20 minutes of waiting for a bunch of players who had yet to show up said "eeeh f it" and dismissed the rest of the team.

very true

but we are talking about a coach who used to eat hotdogs during the games on the sideline and who once got to practice and after 15 or 20 minutes of waiting for a bunch of players who had yet to show up said "eeeh f it" and dismissed the rest of the team.

:lol:

We have a lot of talent on our roster, especially after the draft. Our only downside is that we are learning a new offense. The defense has a new coordinator but is running the same scheme. But remember we have 5 pre-season games to install the offense and Campbell played in the West Coast offense in college.

Sorry, I don't see it. The Skins still refuse to adequately address their pass rush needs. Now Daniels is yet another year older.

Fletcher had a great year last year but he's 33. How much longer is he gonna last?

Your corners are average at best.

I don't see the offense clicking until mid season at best and even that might be a stretch.

First Place: Cowboys.

This team had the talent last year but was still trying to find its identity. Wade Phillips was still new to the team (and vice versa) which culminated in some judgment errors down the stretch. That is less likely to happen this year. Jerry Jones doesn't seem to care about the makeup of a man's character when selecting his players. So far it has worked to his advantage. The team already had a good core but with the addition of Tank Johnson and Pacman Jones (assuming he will play this year), their defense is shifting into a whole new level. Pacman will also make a big difference on ST's. Romo looked good when he was still green. He should be getting used to playing at a high level in the NFL and should be able to rid himself of the sophomoric mistakes of the past. The biggest question is whether or not this team will wear down at the end of the season.

They are a talented team, but no sure thing, they've folded two straight years in the playoffs:

QB - Romo is what you see is what you get, this is his 7th season in the league, teams are learning how to defend him.

RB - solid pair, but Barber is more Duce than LT, Jones replaces Jones

WR - TO will be 35, not much mileage left, Crayton proved he's a #3, Hurd, well we got lots of UDFAs in camp like him, Glenn is finished

TE - Witten is great, Curtis is a big blocker, the draft pick isn't ready

OL - All five starters are 30 or older, they had a great season last year, but odds are they'll regress

DL - Ratliff would be a great 3-4 DE, unfortunately he's the NT, Tank doesn't fit there either.

LB - Zach Thomas is a name with nothing left in the tank, Ware is the blue chipper, Ellis had a great season but how much is left?

DB - Foolish deal for Newman who at 30 is starting to show some wear and tear, Jenkins will push Henry to the bench, Jones ???

S - Hamlin and Williams gives them two SSs, unfortunately one of them has to play FS and the other belongs at LB

I think 2007 was their high water mark, they failed to address WR and the OL started leaking at the end of the season, DCs will take notes.

Second Place: Giants.

The Giants had all the stars align for them last year. They hit their stride at just the right time. Everybody knows defense wins championships and this team definitely has the defense. Plaxico is a weapon that I still wish we had in our arsenal. Eli is finally going to develop the confidence/swagger that people wanted from him in the past. The players can also put aside their feud with head coach, Tom Coughlin. They can now buy into his philosophy 100% because it is proven. But pulling everything together this year will be a lot harder since they no longer will be flying under the proverbial radar of most teams and their schedule won't be so accommodating. Talent-wise, the Cowboys are better (at least on paper) so let's see if this team has the heart to repeat.

QB: Manning is what he is, a solid QB when he has time, but nothing special and never will be

RB: Jacobs is big but runs high, look for him to get injured again, Bradshaw is a good backup but not starting material

WR: Burress had his best season but is a ding machine who won't age well, Toomer had a great career, the operative word being "had," Smith could be good if he can stay on the field

TE: Shokey is unhappy, Boss is unproven

OL: They are a physical bunch, just reaching their prime, but Diehl is vulnerable to speed rushers and should move back inside

DL: If Strahan retires, that will take them down a notch, Tuck will be less effective at LDE than as a 3rd down DT, Kiwanka could move back to LDE but is vulnerable against the run.

LB: Pierce will be 31, if he slips, they're in trouble, need some young LBs to step up, two good draft picks in Kehl and Goff

DB: Ross and Webster is ok, Madison is cooked, Phillips should replace Butler at SS, but Knight at FS reeks of desperation

Giants got hot at the right time and got all the breaks, but look at their season as a whole and they were pretty mediocre, nor did they make a lot of offseason moves to get better. Post SB hangover could take them out of the playoffs

Third Place: Eagles.

Although this team seems to make a lot of game-day mistakes, they do eventually correct them. It's highly unlikely that the Eagles will go into the season without a punt returner. It's also unlikely that this coaching staff will give us a repeat of the Winston Justice debacle against the Giants. If this coaching staff ever stepped back to self evaluate and became proactive instead of reactive, they might just have something again. Adding Booker to the backfield could prove to be a smart move. The team can't depend on Westbrook carrying the lion's share of the offensive load every year and Booker may be just what the doctor ordered. The LB corps and defensive backfield should be fun to watch this year. Both have the potential to be incredibly explosive or an incredible disappointment. The team is very young, and barring Brian Westbrook, Shawn Andrews, Asante Samuel and a handful of guys that have the "potential" to be very good players, there don't seem to be any "stars" or "standout" names on the roster. If some of the guys with "potential" can fulfill their promise, this team could ascend back to the top, quickly.

QB: McNabb is the key to the start, Kolb to the finish. Reid doesn't trust McNabb anymore, which is why he's accelerating Kolb's development, he'd love McNabb to return to his 2001-2004 form, but won't depend on it. Kolb is perfect for the WCO.

RB: Westbrook is only behind LT, with Booker they now have insurance.

WR: There's no great WR, but the best depth in the conference and maybe the league (G Lewis is the #6 WR right now)

TE: LJ getting healthy would help a lot, Wilson provides insurance, Celek is similar to Boss

OL: OTs getting long in the tooth, interior trio should be better, season may depend on one or two backups stepping up

DL: Great depth at DE, nice trio at DT, could use a 4th DT.

LB: Youth will be served, solid athletes, have to take the next step

DB: CB is deep, FS is more of a question

If McNabb is his old self, they're the best team in the conference, otherwise they need Kolb to grow up fast. The real key is how fast JJ can integrate his young athletes into his defensive scheme, this could be his best defense by the end of the season

Last Place: Redskins.

Washington has some good players at the right positions and it seems that this team has finally adopted a long-term plan. It looks like Dan Snyder has given up on buying every big name out there. I'm still not sold on Jason Campbell but their group of WR's has the potential to be explosive in another year or two. And even though the Redskins made the playoffs last year, this team is obviously in a rebuilding phase. It seems the Redskins have taken a page from the Eagles playbook in hiring Mike Holmgren's QB coach (which Andy Reid once was) as their new head coach. Zorn brought offensive coordinator Sherman Smith with him and the team will transition to the WCO. So much change - in both personnel and philosophy - is why I have the Redskins finishing last. But I see a bright future for this team.

This team is going to be horrible this year, letting Williams leave will kill the defense.

QB: Campbell is switching to still another offensive scheme, one I'm not sure he's suited to.

RB: Portis is solid, but not the same player he was in Denver, Betts is depth but seems to be slipping.

WR: Kelly is big and slow, Thomas is a one year wonder, neither will do much in 2008 and Moss and Randel El don't fit the new scheme

TE: Cooley is a good H-back

OL: Old with no depth, a disaster waiting to happen, the youngest starter is 30.

DL: Carter and ??? Daniels (35), Griffin (32), Montgomery is a decent run stopper, depth is nonexistent

LB: Fletcher is 32, Washington an old 31, and McIntosh is coming off a serious knee injury, ouch

DB: Springs is 33, Smoot is #2, Rogers blew up his knee, Landry will be a solid FS, but who's the strong safety? Again, no depth to speak of.

This could be the worst defense in the league with an injury or two, and if the OL collapses, they could have the first pick in the 2009 draft.

^^

pretty objective

:lol:

That dude is the quintessential TATEr. He cracks me up.

Believe it or not, that's one of his more objective posts.

going 2-2 is a big "swoon", especially when one of those loses was the last game of the year and a few starters did not play and many more sat down after the first series or two of the 3rd quarter, going against a division rival that had to win the game to make the playoffs.

what luck did they have with their schedule that other people didn't have? they had just about the same schedule as the Eagles and Giants

The Giants and Cowboys have the same talent level, with the Eagles only a shade below if at all, I think all 3 teams have 11-5 talent.

Young Stevo (Stephen1)- That's exactly how I feel about all 3 squads

They are a talented team, but no sure thing, they've folded two straight years in the playoffs:

QB - Romo is what you see is what you get, this is his 7th season in the league, teams are learning how to defend him.

RB - solid pair, but Barber is more Duce than LT, Jones replaces Jones

WR - TO will be 35, not much mileage left, Crayton proved he's a #3, Hurd, well we got lots of UDFAs in camp like him, Glenn is finished

TE - Witten is great, Curtis is a big blocker, the draft pick isn't ready. Curtis is not a "big blocker", he's more of a recieving TE

OL - All five starters are 30 or older, they had a great season last year, but odds are they'll regress Flozell is 32 or 34, the rest just turned 30, that is not old.

DL - Ratliff would be a great 3-4 DE, unfortunately he's the NT, Tank doesn't fit there either. Both played just fine last year, Dallas had no prolems vs the run, where I think they only allowed 1 100 yard rusher all year

LB - Zach Thomas is a name with nothing left in the tank, Ware is the blue chipper, Ellis had a great season but how much is left?

DB - Foolish deal for Newman who at 30 is starting to show some wear and tear, Jenkins will push Henry to the bench, Jones ??? it is basically a 3 year deal, and considering he will be 30 when the season starts, it's not too bad, also wear and tear? He hurt his foot last year, missed a few games, then came back and played fine, where do you get this wear and tear ish?

S - Hamlin and Williams gives them two SSs, unfortunately one of them has to play FS and the other belongs at LB. Hamlin was 1st or 2nd in the NFC at FS for INTS, he's just fine at FS

I think 2007 was their high water mark, they failed to address WR and the OL started leaking at the end of the season, DCs will take notes.

Sorry, I don't see it. The Skins still refuse to adequately address their pass rush needs. Now Daniels is yet another year older.

Fletcher had a great year last year but he's 33. How much longer is he gonna last?

Your corners are average at best.

I don't see the offense clicking until mid season at best and even that might be a stretch.

Ok. This is also the first off season in the past few years that Daniels hasn't had surgery. We have young guys on the line that could step up and perform. Fletcher is a beast who plays like hes 26. Hes got 2 more great years ahead of him at least. Our corners are above average as long as they stay healthy. The offense is anyones guess, it will be easier to learn then Saunder's system though.

NONE OF THIS MATTERS

The division is going to come down to injuries. This division is too close to predict 2 months before training camp!

yeah no stars on the team just Trent Cole, Donovan, Westbrook, Andrews, Lito, Samuel, and Dawkins. WTF???

I'd classify trent Cole as one of the "potentials" but wouldn't label him as star caliber just yet. I said Westbrook, Andrews and Samuel were stars. Lito is injured too often to be classified as a star. Donovan and Dawkins were stars. Now they are fading stars. JMHO.

I just don't get all this orgasm over the Cowboys, sorry. They had the benefit of a light schedule and an Eagles team that was nearly mortally wounded at QB, and we still beat them.

Just like people were initimdated by TO last year, they will be scared by Pacman and Tank. This serves to take the focus off of Romo, who, like any decent NFL QB can pick you apart if you let him, which is what he did to teams last year.

That should change as teams smarten up about how to defeat him. Like Brady, all it takes is the right kind of pressure and he will fold. But unlike Brady, I still don't think Romo has a true NFL QB heart. He's a playboy, like Kearse, and as such, he does well when things are going well. Otherwise, stop Romo and you stop their offense as the Giants proved.

I see the Cowboys winning 10 games and the Giants having a major SB hangover now that teams have film on all those former rookies who won them the SB. G-men go 9 wins.

We are the best December team in the division, if not the conference. If we're healthy, we'll easily get those 2 additional games up on the Boys for a 12 game win record and division crown again.

Jason Campbell actually scares me a little because he seems to have JJ's number. Don't be shocked to see the Skins and Eagles fighting it out for 1st come December.

It's hard to say, but on paper the boys do seem to have the best team, where as the skins seem to have the worst team, plus they're in a bit of a rebuilding mode with the major changes on offense and the rookies brought in to fit the new scheme.

That being said, every year is a new year and success or failure in previous seasons is never a surefire indicator of success or failure in future seasons.

It's hard to say, but on paper the boys do seem to have the best team, where as the skins seem to have the worst team, plus they're in a bit of a rebuilding mode with the major changes on offense and the rookies brought in to fit the new scheme.

That being said, every year is a new year and success or failure in previous seasons is never a surefire indicator of success or failure in future seasons.

I think on paper the Giants have the best team :)

I fail to see how you could make the argument that the defense is not less deep than it was with the losses of Wilson, Mitchell, and Torbor? They are certainly less deep than they were. THis is not to say they'll be bad or anything, but they aren't as deep. If on the off chance Strahan retires, the defense will be dramatically less deep.

The Giants are really hoping that certain young players will step up to fill gaps, just like many teams. It may well end up that these guys prove to be more depth and even better than who they replaced... but on paper right now they're clearly not as deep esp on the defensive side of the ball.

Since when is losing Reggie Torbor a negative? You rarely heard his name called in the post-season and there is a reason. He was decent, but nothing game-changing. Mathias Kiwanuka is, and was, head and shoulders a better SLB than he was.

The "step-ups" belong at WLB, where Gerris Wilkinson will become the starter. He was competing with Kawika Mitchell last year at camp and was on his way to start until he got hurt. Granted Mitchell played the season nicely, but do not kid yourself -- he is replaceable. The depth the Giants have this season is deeper than last year at LB. That is a fact.

As for Wilson, he will be missed. But going into and throughout the season the Giants Safeties were downed. Everybody, including Giants fans, hammered on them and their inconsistencies, and now all of a sudden they were so good they cannot be replaced by better talent? Sure thing. Enter Kenny Phillips, Sammy Knight, 2nd year player Michael Johnson, and a healthy James Butler. A much improved group over last year which featured two rookies, one being undrafted.

So yes, they are deeper than last year.

Don't be shocked to see the Skins and Eagles fighting it out for 1st come December.

If this happens I won't be shocked, I'll most likely be drunk seeing as it has a 10% chance of happening.

on paper the dallas cowboys have the most talented team in football. Good QB, good RB, good WR, good o-line, good d-line, mediocre secondary.

however i know that wont be the case because they are too stupid and have too many personalities on that team to survive. the only player thats a great football teammate and player on that team is Ware.

on paper the dallas cowboys have the most talented team in football. Good QB, good RB, good WR, good o-line, good d-line, mediocre secondary.

however i know that wont be the case because they are too stupid and have too many personalities on that team to survive. the only player thats a great football teammate and player on that team is Ware.

Newman is a top CB, and Hamlin proved to be better than his final season in Seattle. But they need a better CB to complement Newman.

Newman is a top CB, and Hamlin proved to be better than his final season in Seattle. But they need a better CB to complement Newman.

Newman's good but Roy is so horrendously bad it doesn't matter. They also have issues with their pass rush outside of Ware... again. There was a period where nobody but him got a sack for a couple of games.

Newman's good but Roy is so horrendously bad it doesn't matter. They also have issues with their pass rush outside of Ware... again. There was a period where nobody but him got a sack for a couple of games.

They were third in the NFL behind the Giants and Pats in sacks with 46, and Greg Ellis was 6th in the league with 12.5 sacks...Don't make ish up to prove an invalid point ^_^

They were third in the NFL behind the Giants and Pats in sacks with 46, and Greg Ellis was 6th in the league with 12.5 sacks...Don't make ish up to prove an invalid point ^_^

it's called hot start cold finish. they had 40 sacks thru the first 12 games and 6 in the last 4. 1.5 sacks per game means you get 24 for the year. Which would have put them close to last place. Try again.