Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sodakeagle

june 1st cuts?

It's not. They allow teams to cut or trade players before June 1 and take the hit after June 1.

So the days of high priced vets being cut are over.

It's not. They allow teams to cut or trade players before June 1 and take the hit after June 1.

So the days of high priced vets being cut are over.

They can designate players as post Jun 1 cuts, but if they trade players, they can't take the hit over two years. Those guys have to be traded after Jun 1; I made that same mistake, thinking a guy could be traded, until I read the same thing on PFT.

Its called slim pickins, it is nowhere near like it use to be. Now veteran cuts come when roster cuts start. Any June 1st cuts have been release already, you may see one or two more today, but not like the past.

With the increase in the salary cap, most every team has the cash to keep their important guys, so this date doesn't mean what it used to 4 or 5 years ago.

With the increase in the salary cap, most every team has the cash to keep their important guys, so this date doesn't mean what it used to 4 or 5 years ago.

Was Shaun Alexander a June 1 cut? I thought they were trying to work something out with that. But, I don’t see a lot of people being cut. I could only see a BIG salary guy who is not performing i.e. a Darren Howard, type.

June 2nd is the NEW date!

per PFT

But June 2 now has meaning for a different reason. As of 2006, players traded on and after June 2 will have their cap hits spread over two seasons. Previously, all bonus acceleration hit the cap in the same year.

So player trades are now easier for teams to stomach, given the ability to manage the cap consequences.

Absent an extension to the current CBA, there will be no June 2 effect in 2009; all bonus acceleration for any player who is released or traded will hit the cap in 2009, since there will be no salary cap in 2010.

Was Shaun Alexander a June 1 cut? I thought they were trying to work something out with that. But, I don’t see a lot of people being cut. I could only see a BIG salary guy who is not performing i.e. a Darren Howard, type.

He was released about a month or so ago.

He was released about a month or so ago.

yeah, but technically is a june 1st cut, each teams is allowed to cut 2 players prior to June 1st and they are treated as june 1st cuts

yeah, but technically is a june 1st cut, each teams is allowed to cut 2 players prior to June 1st and they are treated as june 1st cuts

Ahh, ok. Didn't know that.

The trade for Lito and WR Roy Williams can now happen any day.

The trade for Lito and WR Roy Williams can now happen any day.

Please let's not start this...again...