Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gaitherfan

Top 5 Lists: Defense

DT:

1. Mike Patterson

2. Cornelius Griffin (EDIT)

3. Jay Ratliff (EDIT)

4. Broderick Bunkley

5. Fred Robbins

DE: (EDIT)

1. Jason Taylor

2. Trent Cole

3. Justin Tuck

4. Osi Umenyiora

5. Chris Canty

LB:

1. Demarcus Ware

2. Antonio Pierce

3. Omar Gaither

4. London Fletcher

5. Chris Gocong (EDIT)

S:

1. Brian Dawkins

2. Ken Hamlin

3. LaRon Landry

4. Quintin Mikell

5. Roy Williams

CB:

1. Asante Samuel

2. Lito Sheppard

3. Terrance Newman

4. Sheldon Brown

5. Shawn Springs

EDITS MADE ON JULY 5TH AT 11:30 PM.

JASON TAYLOR EDIT ON JULY 22ND AR 10:45 PM.

homerific

Quintin Mikell and Omar Gaither are certainly debatable as being on the lists... but none of the others really are at all.

Placement on the Top 5 is very unclear, but I think the Eagles defense is solid going into this season. Can you debate that?

Just a guess - you feel that you can be objective, but nobody else sees it whatsoever.

Objectivity isn't really possible. We all have bias and it affects our views. Word.

DT:

1. Mike Patterson

2. Jay Ratliff

3. Cornelius Griffin

4. Broderick Bunkley

5. Fred Robbins

DE:

1. Trent Cole

2. Justin Tuck

3. Osi Umenyiora

4. Chris Canty

5. Chris Clemons

LB:

1. Demarcus Ware

2. Antonio Pierce

3. Omar Gaither

4. London Fletcher

5. Zach Thomas

S:

1. Brian Dawkins

2. Ken Hamlin

3. LaRon Landry

4. Quintin Mikell

5. Roy Williams

CB:

1. Asante Samuel

2. Lito Sheppard

3. Terrance Newman

4. Sheldon Brown

5. Shawn Springs

Christ your lists get worse and worse.

homer_simpson.jpg

love the optimism, but...

Tell me what is so way off, folks.

Patterson is the best DT, Cole is debatably the best DE (Tuck and Umenyiora could also vie for that spot), Dawk is the best S, and all 3 of our CBs are in the top 5.

I could see Q and Gaither not making the top 5 lists, but others I don't see how this is overly homerific (though I can't deny bias).

DT:

No one really stand out. Ratliff, Patterson, Bunkley, Robbins, Coefield, T.Johnson, Griffin...Can't really get a top5 out of it.

DE:

1. Trent Cole

2. Justin Tuck

3. Osi Umenyiora

4. Chris Canty

5. Andre Carter

LB:

1. Demarcus Ware

2. Antonio Pierce

3. London Fletcher

4. M.Washington

5. Gaither

S:

1. Brian Dawkins

2. Ken Hamlin

3. LaRon Landry

4. Quintin Mikell

5. Roy Williams

CB:

1. Asante Samuel

2. Terrance Newman

3. Lito Sheppard

4. Carlos Rogers

5. Sheldon Brown/Anthony Henry/Shawn Springs

CB:

1. Asante Samuel

2. Terrance Newman

3. Lito Sheppard

4. Carlos Rogers

5. Sheldon Brown/Anthony Henry/Shawn Springs

Everything sounds good to me, except I think Spring is better than Rogers at this point, unless Rogers can recover from devastating injury. Anthony Henry on par with Brown and Springs is a joke...

DT:

1. Mike Patterson

2. Jay Ratliff

3. Cornelius Griffin

4. Broderick Bunkley

5. Fred Robbins

DE:

1. Trent Cole

2. Justin Tuck

3. Osi Umenyiora

4. Chris Canty

5. Chris Clemons

LB:

1. Demarcus Ware

2. Antonio Pierce

3. Omar Gaither

4. London Fletcher

5. Zach Thomas

S:

1. Brian Dawkins

2. Ken Hamlin

3. LaRon Landry

4. Quintin Mikell

5. Roy Williams

CB:

1. Asante Samuel

2. Lito Sheppard

3. Terrance Newman

4. Sheldon Brown

5. Shawn Springs

Obviously many of theses are questionable----but the 3 that jump out to me are.Even for just the NFC east some of these are a stretch.

1)Zach Thomas,,if he is top 5 then ALL the Eagles LBers are HOF material.We are talking about now not 3 years ago.If he is on the field at all he will be a major liability.

2)Q.Mikell,,NO COMMENT.Be serious.He has been a bench player for 6 years(for a reason) and all of a sudden he is a top 5 safety ?????????

3)R.Williams.While I would certainly take Q.Mikell over Williams (I just think he is one of the worst safety's in all of football)to have him on any list that has the words TOP,GOOD or anything positive is crazy.Don't get caught in the media hype because he makes a big hit every game----HE STINKS.

I will start by saying I keep posting that I think the Eagles will have a top 5 defense this year and for the next 3-5 years.I think that many fans will be surprised what is about to happen to this defense,I really think they are going to be special,BUT.Lets see the LBers play a full season together.

Next year at this time we might very well be saying,AS FAR AS THE NFC goes,,we have the BEST group of LBers,(Gaither,Gocong,Bradley) 2 of the top 3 DT's(Patterson,Bunkley),,2 of the top 4 DE's (Cole,Abiamiri),the best group of 3 CB's. I really believe all these guys,if they stay healthy are going to be that good.

Just so everyone is clear---ROY WILLIAMS THE SAFETY STINKS.

Obviously many of theses are questionable----but the 3 that jump out to me are.Even for just the NFC east some of these are a stretch.

1)Zach Thomas,,if he is top 5 then ALL the Eagles LBers are HOF material.We are talking about now not 3 years ago.If he is on the field at all he will be a major liability.

2)Q.Mikell,,NO COMMENT.Be serious.He has been a bench player for 6 years(for a reason) and all of a sudden he is a top 5 safety ?????????

3)R.Williams.While I would certainly take Q.Mikell over Williams (I just think he is one of the worst safety's in all of football)to have him on any list that has the words TOP,GOOD or anything positive is crazy.Don't get caught in the media hype because he makes a big hit every game----HE STINKS.

I will start by saying I keep posting that I think the Eagles will have a top 5 defense this year and for the next 3-5 years.I think that many fans will be surprised what is about to happen to this defense,I really think they are going to be special,BUT.Lets see the LBers play a full season together.

Next year at this time we might very well be saying,AS FAR AS THE NFC goes,,we have the BEST group of LBers,(Gaither,Gocong,Bradley) 2 of the top 3 DT's(Patterson,Bunkley),,2 of the top 4 DE's (Cole,Abiamiri),the best group of 3 CB's. I really believe all these guys,if they stay healthy are going to be that good.

Just so everyone is clear---ROY WILLIAMS THE SAFETY STINKS.

Mikell is likely top 5 S in the division. Don't understand your qualms about that, really. Thomas was hurt last year, but the year prior was solid. He is not the stud he once was, but he is one of the smartest defensive minds in the game. I could easily put Gocong in that #5 slot instead... or maybe Bradie James?

Being 5th in a list of the top 5 safeties in the division isn't a complement by the way. 5 of 8. That's the bottom half right there. Frankly, other than the first 3, the NFC east is kind of weak at safety. So I don't think saying that Mikell is 4th out of 8 is making him out to be this superstar.

Being 5th in a list of the top 5 safeties in the division isn't a complement by the way. 5 of 8. That's the bottom half right there. Frankly, other than the first 3, the NFC east is kind of weak at safety. So I don't think saying that Mikell is 4th out of 8 is making him out to be this superstar.

Exactly.

Mikell is likely top 5 S in the division. Don't understand your qualms about that, really. Thomas was hurt last year, but the year prior was solid. He is not the stud he once was, but he is one of the smartest defensive minds in the game. I could easily put Gocong in that #5 slot instead... or maybe Bradie James?

Actually,,,call me a DUMB DUMB-------for some reason I knew you said NFC East,,but for some reason had certain number of players at certain positions.For instance,at LBer I had it in my mind just the east,but at safety I had 32 safety's in my mind.I think I have a drinking problem.

Actually,I thought your topic was pretty neat,when I become alive again I will get back to the boards.

I still think Williams stinks and while Zach WAS great,,he is a shell of himself.Nice topic though.

After the boards argue about the EAST,maybe we/you go down the NFC.

DT:

DE:

1. Trent Cole

2. Justin Tuck

3. Osi Umenyiora

4. Chris Canty

5. Chris Clemons

Tuck is better than Osi?

Which one started last season? I dont care who had more sacks or anything like that, Osi is much better.

Tuck is better than Osi?

Which one started last season? I dont care who had more sacks or anything like that, Osi is much better.

I think Osi is solid, but I think Tuck is on the verge of being even better than Osi. That said, it is more than fair to swap the 2... Tuck/Osi/Cole could all be interchangeable on the rankings and I'd still find it fair.

By the way Dawkins wasn't the best safety in the division last year, and despite coming off of an injury...how do you figure at his age his body can perform?