Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

milhouse

Giants about to add Shane Olivea

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that free-agent offensive lineman Shane Olivea’s four-game suspension has been rescinded, and he has agreed to terms with the Giants.

Olivea isn’t signed yet — he still needs to work out for the team and pass a physical — but if that goes according to plan, Olivea will be there for the start of training camp and eligible to play for the Giants in Week 1.

It was reported last month that Olivea had received a four-game suspension, but it was unclear at the time what the suspension was for. Whatever it was, it no longer applies.

Link

If it works out I really like this signing. Great for depth in the short term, but he's young and talented and would expect him to take over for Seubert in the future.

i would not expect him to take over anything the way he played last year.

Yeah, he's got some work ahead of him. He has the talent, he's proven that much. He got caught up in the party scene in San Diego, which from what I understand, happens to quite a few of the athletes in that city. Apparently its a big party scene. But he was raised in New York and will be back home close to his family. Having a good network of support is important in overcoming these kinds of situations. Hopefully he'll realize he's getting a great second chance and he'll make the most of it. If not, its really no skin off the Giants backs. Its not like he is being counted on to come in and start. For that reason I think it would be a great signing.

Yeah, he's got some work ahead of him. He has the talent, he's proven that much. He got caught up in the party scene in San Diego, which from what I understand, happens to quite a few of the athletes in that city. Apparently its a big party scene. But he was raised in New York and will be back home close to his family. Having a good network of support is important in overcoming these kinds of situations. Hopefully he'll realize he's getting a great second chance and he'll make the most of it. If not, its really no skin off the Giants backs. Its not like he is being counted on to come in and start. For that reason I think it would be a great signing.

Like you said with Seubert, if he can play guard then good pickup, I just wouldn't try and put him at Tackle unless you needed him in an emergency at RT.

I like the guy, wish he was riding our bench

Thats the difference between Philly and Dallas fans: Philly fans wish he was riding their bench, Dallas fans just wish he was riding them.

Thats the difference between Philly and Dallas fans: Philly fans wish he was riding their bench, Dallas fans just wish he was riding them.

:lol:

He's still young and has talent. Might end up being a real smart move. I'd have been fine with the Birds giving him a chance too...

He is not a star, but he definitely gives the G-men some much needed depth on that line. Good move.

I agree...I don't think he'a a tackle anymore..he's more of a big guard, which is fine...depth move for a year...if he makes the team and performs when needed, maybe both sides look to extend next spring

He is not a star, but he definitely gives the G-men some much needed depth on that line. Good move.

I actually like the depth we have on the offensive line. On the interior, anyway. Grey Reugamer and Kevin Booth both have starting experience and could fill in for a few games if needed. The backup OT spot is a bit murkier, with Guy Whimper and Adam Koets. Koets is the only rookie from last years class without a notable contribution. Whimper was a project pick from 2006. He has developed nicely and actually played very well last year in the second half of the WildCard playoff in relief of Diehl. Im not sure what his long term future holds.

I actually like the depth we have on the offensive line. On the interior, anyway. Grey Reugamer and Kevin Booth both have starting experience and could fill in for a few games if needed. The backup OT spot is a bit murkier, with Guy Whimper and Adam Koets. Koets is the only rookie from last years class without a notable contribution. Whimper was a project pick from 2006. He has developed nicely and actually played very well last year in the second half of the WildCard playoff in relief of Diehl. Im not sure what his long term future holds.

Have Whimper move to RT when McKenzie's contract is up....I love Diehl.. he's a good LT, but a PB Guard...I'd love to see a better LT added sooner or later...

Have Whimper move to RT when McKenzie's contract is up....I love Diehl.. he's a good LT, but a PB Guard...I'd love to see a better LT added sooner or later...

Rich, past 2008, Whimper may be a LT. We simply don't yet know. He's an amazing athlete, but until it translates to the field consistantly, he'll remain quality depth.

Whimper without a doubt has the feet and athleticism to play LT. He's just got to continue to get better. So far he's been on a steady learning curve, hopefully it continues.

I don't know all that much about him but I've heard he's talented and he's still young. Seems like a real good move by the G-men.

The Giants have added a great deal of potential this offseason. Of course, they might all suck, but with Jerry Reese's history, I'm betting that a few of them "stick."

This was a very smart move and one I didn't like hearing about.

I was listening to the NFL channel on Sirius and they said the Giants have 16 OL under contract now...what a great way to go into camp. I don't think there are any All-Pro candidates, but some good quality and this added to that. Like I said I didn't like the news.

BUT, if he got caught up in the "party scene" in SD what will happen to him in NYC? The only place you have more party places is Las Vegas.

This was a very smart move and one I didn't like hearing about.

I was listening to the NFL channel on Sirius and they said the Giants have 16 OL under contract now...what a great way to go into camp. I don't think there are any All-Pro candidates, but some good quality and this added to that. Like I said I didn't like the news.

BUT, if he got caught up in the "party scene" in SD what will happen to him in NYC? The only place you have more party places is Las Vegas.

Not only are there 16 lineman under contract, every starter is under contract until at least 2012. Thats very reassuring and a damn good job by the Giants front office.

As for Olivea: In any other case I would agree with you but Olivea was born and raised in the Bronx. So while he will be near a large party scene, he will also be getting back to his roots and surrounded by friends and family. That kind of support system and familiarity is exactly what someone dealing with his issues needs. Hopefully in a strong, close knit locker room like the Giants have, not to mention under the eye of Tom Coughlin, he will make the most out of his second chance.