Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packerbacker04

running up the score

What is everyone's opinion on running up the score. Should you keep playing tell the game is over or should you just lay down with a big lead? What do you guys think about that? I figured I would ask since last year some teams blew huge leads and lost games and the pats kept playing running up the score bigtime.

Score as many points as you can. The opposing defense can't stop you? Tough.

QFT

I need to look no further then the 2002 playoffs for a reason to never stop playing football. It's all nice sportsmanship until your team blows a 20+ point lead in a playoff game. Run that **** up, score as many points as possible. Never stop playing football in todays NFL.

What is everyone's opinion on running up the score. Should you keep playing tell the game is over or should you just lay down with a big lead? What do you guys think about that? I figured I would ask since last year some teams blew huge leads and lost games and the pats kept playing running up the score bigtime.

They're professionals. If you want to not have the score run up, build a good team.

The problem is, how many points is enough to win in today's NFL? 28? 35? We've all seen teams come back from near dead to win and if Cleveland and Cincy can score 50 in a game, how can you ever stop playing?

The only time I think it's inappropriate is when it's 4th quarter with 2 seconds left and you're up by 35, and instead of taking a knee you throw a bomb. That's just plain ****ty.

My answer as well.

QFT

I need to look no further then the 2002 playoffs for a reason to never stop playing football. It's all nice sportsmanship until your team blows a 20+ point lead in a playoff game. Run that **** up, score as many points as possible. Never stop playing football in todays NFL.

Exactly.

Here's one answer: when a game gets out of hand, players start taking shots at one another. What's a 15-yard penalty when you're up (or down) four TDs? That guy chopped me in the last series? I'm going for his knees. Don't think it doesn't happen because it does, all the time. Mark Schlereth of Washington and later Denver was notorious for chop blocking and guys were always taking retaliatory shots at him. Result? Twenty (that's 20) knee operations.

Here's another: Lou Holtz was a first-year coach playing Florida State. His team got slaughtered. When he and Bobby Bowden met at the 50 to shake hands, Lou asked him hotly why he ran up the score. Bowden said, "It's not my job to keep me from scoring; it's yours."

my philosophy about running up the score, tell the defense to stop them if they cant put up as many points as you can like 1 guy said if you dont like it stop em. wish my eagles would do that every game run up the score. 1 minute left up by 30 F that i want another td run it up. these people get paid to play F there feelings about not running up the score. next time they will do a better job of game planning on how to stop a high powered offense that puts up points.

I'm more interested in having my team run out the clock with a lead than have them run up the score.

what if that lead is at the start of the 3rd quarter...when there's alot of football left to be played...

IMO I think you should play tell the buzzer sounds. If your up by 30 points with 5 minutes to go then maybe its safe to take it easy but I really disagree with it when your up like 38-0 with 2 minutes to go and you score another touchdown thats when its offensive.

keep scorin as much as possible but throwin for a touchdown on 3rd and goal from ur 8 with 10 seconds left and your winnin 56-7 thats alil much

IMO I think you should play tell the buzzer sounds. If your up by 30 points with 5 minutes to go then maybe its safe to take it easy but I really disagree with it when your up like 38-0 with 2 minutes to go and you score another touchdown thats when its offensive.

like they said when the pats were running up the score the 1 guy on espn said if you dont like it stop em.

I watched the 1992 playoff game between the Bills and the Oilers (remember the Oilers?) where the Oilers had a 35-3 lead in the 3rd quarter and blew it...and the Bills had Frank Reich as their QB, not Jim Kelly.

Keep scoring until it's about midway through the 4th period and you're up by 30. Maybe then call off the dogs.

Depends completely on the situation. If you're past the 2 minute warning with like, a 30 point lead....its time to take a knee even if they have TO's and will get it back. Its unprofessional to be running passing plays inside the 20 if you're up by that much...not mentioning any teams...(PATS)

Is that you Tom Jackson?

Is that you Tom Jackson?

I can walk and chew gum at the same time, so no, Tom Jackson I am not.

I just don't see why people complain about running up the score. Sure, if it's in the last 5 minutes and you're up by 35 then run out the clock. But if it's in the 3rd quarter and you're still moving the ball well with a 30 point lead, keep putting points on the board.

If you're playing your starters still while up 38-0 in the final 5 minutes of the game, throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield and stuff, it's obvious you're just trying to pad stats, and that's not what the game's about. On the other hand, if you're up 38-0 in the 3rd quarter, you should still be running at full throttle. I'd say you'd have to be up by 8 touchdowns before you can bench your starters before the final 5 minutes of the game.

rest them if you have a big enough lead. keep them fresh if possible. or look at terell (i think) prothro years ago. great looking wr in college, career ending injury trying to run up the score.

QFT

I totally agree, this isn't pee wee, HS or even College football. This is a professional sport played by men who are being paid to play. That being said, every good coach will know enough when to throttle down if needed. Not kicking a field goal with time running out with a huge lead is a given today.

Few thoughts:

-Very few leads in the NFL are safe. I've seen bigger leads blown, than score differences of what teams accused of running up the score have had.

-"Laying back" has a chance to make your team complacent, lead to injuries, etc.

-This isn't Pop Warner or even HS or college. In those leagues you can have huge discepancies in talent and young emotions. If you can't handle getting whipped in an equal opportunity, salary capped NFL, too bad....you probably "deserve" it.

QFT

Kinda like week 2 of the 2006 season...Eagles vs. Giants... :nonono: