Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asleepatthewheel

Haha....I suddenly love the Arizona Cardinals

New ticket plan aims to keep Dallas fans out of Cards' stadium

Dallas fans

Getty Images

The Arizona Cardinals are trying to "protect the nest." This means they'd like University of Phoenix Stadium to continue to sell out, and to do so with as few opposing fans as possible.

In the past two seasons, there was little concern about this since the team sold out every home game. But with ticket sales a bit slower as the third season approaches, the Cardinals are requiring fans who want to buy tickets to the Dallas game on Oct. 12 to also buy tickets for the Aug. 7 exhibition opener vs. New Orleans. Cardinals fans have "created a decisive home-field advantage" the past two years, and the team wants to keep it that way by discouraging single-game ticket sales to Dallas Cowboys fans, team spokesman Mark Dalton said.

"Our goal is to have as many Cardinal fans in the stadium as possible," Dalton said.

In terms of overall ticket sales, "We're a little slower than we were at this point" last year, Dalton said, citing the slowing economy. Dalton estimated about 58,000 season tickets have been sold. Ideally, the Cardinals would like to sell about 60,000 season tickets and hold back 3,000 or so to sell for individual games.

"If we don't get to that threshold, then there will be a few more individual single-game tickets available," Dalton said.

Source: East Valley Tribune

Related: Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys

link

In terms of overall ticket sales, "We're a little slower than we were at this point" last year, Dalton said, citing the slowing economy and a consistently crappy team regardless of the amount of talent they have.

fixed.

Well if they keep the tickets to just Cardinals fans against Cowboys on gameday, the stadium will be damn near empty.

Expect to see like 8 people in the stadium that game.

Here's an idea. Don't suck for a really long stretch of your history, and the fans will be lined up for miles wanting to get tickets, and then you don't have to worry as much about opposing fans gobbling them up.

Well if they keep the tickets to just Cardinals fans against Cowboys on gameday, the stadium will be damn near empty.

There are 8 cardinals fans?

is that legal?

I think so. I've heard of teams offering single game tickets to divisional rivals on the condition they purchase at least 1 preseason game as well. I may be wrong on the team, but I believe Minnesota did this several years back with the Packers and Bears games.

I think so. I've heard of teams offering single game tickets to divisional rivals on the condition they purchase at least 1 preseason game as well. I may be wrong on the team, but I believe Minnesota did this several years back with the Packers and Bears games.

It might be legal, but its shady practice at best.

If you're worried about selling out home games maybe you should make the team a contender instead of pulling shenanigans.

It's a little sad that the Cardinals have to go to these lenghts to make sure an opposing teams fans don't outnumber theirs.

It might be legal, but its shady practice at best.

If you're worried about selling out home games maybe you should make the team a contender instead of pulling shenanigans.

As it relates to the Cards, I agree, hence my original post in this thread. AZ is the only one I've seen flat out admit that it's to keep away the opposing fans.

In Minnesota's case (assuming I have the right team), it was a ploy to sell preseason tickets.

It's a little sad that the Cardinals have to go to these lenghts to make sure an opposing teams fans don't outnumber theirs.

Yeah it is.

Kinda like Texas stadium the previous 7 years. I wonder why people started coming to Cowboys games? :rolleyes:

i dunno i'm kinda rooting for the cards, no fun seeing a team suck year and year out, and there not in our division so w/e..

plus my sis lives in AZ so i might go checkout a game.

The fact that the Cards need to do some sort of ticket sale combo is halarious and is only telling of the fair weather fans they have. This wouldnt even be an issue in Philly! LMAO