Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JAG105

Yahoo owner rankings

Yeah Skins in top 3 is wrong, but I would put them top 15. Im happy that the Eagles are 10. Thats a fair position I think.

Although I bet TATErs will say they should be 32 for not getting us a stud WR

Snyder gets rightfully criticized but he does truly love the Redskins and wants nothing more for them to succeed.

Then he should turn off Madden and wake up to the real NFL.

That's fine that he has a true love for this team but the fact is in 2008 I believe they have the OLDEST team in the NFL. 11 starters are over 30, four more starters hit 30 next season (including their starting two recievers) with ZERO depth at most positions. No plan at all for the future except just bring in more free agents. How is this team going to be any good in 2-4 years when everyone is still in their 30s and they have no young players to build with? They have switched coaches a bunch, switched playbooks a bunch and Snyder has tried to buy a SB winner every off season but this one and all of a sudden he's a top 3 owner? He's one of the WORST owners ever folks and has zero clue how to build a true winner. You don't build with old veterns each year. There is a little thing called depth and chemistry needed, something Snyder always avoids.

How come Snyder is top 3 yet Al Davis is not? Both are pretty much the same type of owner building with veterns, spending tons of money though Davis this year has a much younger team. Davis also has a few rings and had a team to the SB this decade. Skins have two playoff wins this decade with the most expensive team in the NFL. Snyder is #3 but he's a clone of #31 Al Davis these days.

Guest Shepard Wong

That's fine that he has a true love for this team but the fact is in 2008 I believe they have the OLDEST team in the NFL. 11 starters are over 30, four more starters hit 30 next season (including their starting two recievers) with ZERO depth at most positions. No plan at all for the future except just bring in more free agents. How is this team going to be any good in 2-4 years when everyone is still in their 30s and they have no young players to build with? They have switched coaches a bunch, switched playbooks a bunch and Snyder has tried to buy a SB winner every off season but this one and all of a sudden he's a top 3 owner? He's one of the WORST owners ever folks and has zero clue how to build a true winner. You don't build with old veterns each year. There is a little thing called depth and chemistry needed, something Snyder always avoids.

How come Snyder is top 3 yet Al Davis is not? Both are pretty much the same type of owner building with veterns, spending tons of money though Davis this year has a much younger team. Davis also has a few rings and had a team to the SB this decade. Skins have two playoff wins this decade with the most expensive team in the NFL. Snyder is #3 but he's a clone of #31 Al Davis these days.

Maybe because Davis is one of the main reasons the NFL doesn't have a team in LA. Just guessing though. I didn't follow the links.

Maybe because Davis is one of the main reasons the NFL doesn't have a team in LA. Just guessing though. I didn't follow the links.

Pretty much all it says about Davis is that he no longer knows how to build a team anymore and spends too much money on players that won't help the team. Isn't that what Snyder does?

Davis:

Al Davis: Davis, 79, hasn’t just lost his fastball; the man has lost his changeup, and his metaphorical catcher keeps assuring him he’s better than Bob Gibson in his prime. The decline of a once-brilliant football mind would be sad if it weren’t so damaging, not to mention his behavior so nonsensical. Davis, after hiring 31-year-old Lane Kiffin as coach in January of ‘07, grew so disenchanted with him in less than a year that he drafted a resignation letter. But when Kiffin balked, Davis – in an apparent effort to save what a source says was $1.7 million – kept him around, albeit in emasculated fashion. Then, surrounded by yes men (along with top executive Amy Trask, who is smart enough to know better) and armed with the estimated $150 million he scored after selling 20 percent of the team to a trio of hedge-fund managers last fall, Davis went on a spending spree that baffled his peers, handing out huge bonuses for players like wideout Javon Walker, defensive tackle Tommy Kelly and cornerback DeAngelo Hall. Equally perplexing was the way he caved and gave a fair-market contract to No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell last September after the season had started, when the quarterback’s rookie year was essentially a washout. The Raiders, since their Super Bowl XXXVII defeat to the Bucs, are 19-61 over the past five seasons, the NFL’s worst record during that span. But in Davis’s distorted world, it’s always somebody else’s fault.

Snyder:

3. Washington Redskins – Daniel Snyder: When most fans hear Snyder’s name, they blurt out words to describe him that might not be suitable for network television. Here’s the first one that comes to my mind: Awesome. Snyder generates revenue like a money-printing machine (his team ranks first in the NFL, at a reported $312 million, and is also atop the league in sponsorship dollars), happily spends it to improve his franchise and makes his players – you know, the ones who destroy their bodies on Sundays for the pleasure of the masses – feel pampered and appreciated. He is the closest thing to former 49ers boss Eddie DeBartolo, and eventually he’ll get the rings to prove it.

What went down Sunday at Redskins Park tells you all you need to know about Snyder’s ownership style. While attending the Skins’ first practice of training camp, Snyder and executive vice president Vinny Cerrato winced as veteran defensive Phillip Daniels went down with a knee injury. On their way to lunch in the cafeteria, they learned that Daniels had suffered a season-ending torn ACL. After sitting down with coach Jim Zorn and defensive coordinator Greg Blache, they began discussing their options. "I want to win,” Snyder told the group. "Let’s do what we have to do to win.” Concluding that disgruntled Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor was by far the best player they’d have a chance to acquire, Snyder gave the go-ahead to make a trade. Before finishing his meal Cerrato was on the phone with Parcells, Miami’s executive vice president of football operations, discussing a trade for the 2006 NFL defensive player of the year. By that evening the deal was done, with Washington giving up second- and sixth-round draft picks, and Snyder agreeing to shell out $16 million over two years, the remaining money on Taylor’s contract. Because of Snyder’s aggressive approach, the ‘Skins were able to acquire Taylor before their NFC East rivals, the Giants, could work out a three-way trade with the Dolphins and Saints that would have sent Taylor to New Orleans for second- and fifth-round picks, followed by a swap of Taylor for tight end Jeremy Shockey.

Upon the trade’s completion, Snyder sent his private jet to pick up Taylor’s wife and children in the Dallas area; it then flew to South Florida to collect the newest Redskins player and transport him to training camp. That’s the same jet that, last December, whisked quarterback Todd Collins up to Boston in time to join his wife (who’d been induced into emergency labor) before she gave birth to the couple’s son. After Hurricane Katrina Snyder flew tight end Robert Royal to New Orleans to collect his family, who hopped aboard the jet and returned to Northern Virginia. And last December he chartered a 747 to fly the entire team to slain safety Sean Taylor’s funeral in Miami. That move wasn’t about winning; it was about doing the right thing. When Snyder finally hoists the Lombardi Trophy one of these years, it might be worth biting your tongue – at least in front of the kids.

So sending private jets, trading away 2nd round picks for 34 year olds, handling a player's death makes you the 3rd best owner? What about the football played on the field? What about the SIX head coaches in 10+ seasons as owner? The most wins this team has had in Snyder's tenure is 10. Twice they had to win 4-5 straight to even make the postseason. Funny how this guy gets praise for trading away high picks for aging veterns now.

Snyder's record this decade: 58-70, ZERO division titles, 1 playoff win, 1-2 in playoffs

Davis' record this decade: 52-76, 3 division titles, 2 AFC title games, 1 AFC title, 4-3 in playoffs

Pretty much all it says about Davis is that he no longer knows how to build a team anymore and spends too much money on players that won't help the team. Isn't that what Snyder does?

Davis:

Snyder:

So sending private jets, trading away 2nd round picks for 34 year olds, handling a player's death makes you the 3rd best owner? What about the football played on the field? What about the SIX head coaches in 10+ seasons as owner? The most wins this team has had in Snyder's tenure is 10. Twice they had to win 4-5 straight to even make the postseason. Funny how this guy gets praise for trading away high picks for aging veterns now.

Snyder's record this decade: 58-70, ZERO division titles, 1 playoff win, 1-2 in playoffs

Davis' record this decade: 52-76, 3 division titles, 2 AFC title games, 1 AFC title, 4-3 in playoffs

You can say all you want about Davis this past decade if you want but Al Davis was one of the greatest owners of all time. He has done so many thing for the league and especially the players that have played for him that he has earned the right to have an off few years. So your blasting him tells me that you have very little idea about what this man has done for this league even when he was suing it for a variety of reasons. Most of them that have made the league back down and agree with him. Even Rozelle who did battle with Davis would have to agree that he was an inivator and helped make the league what it is today. He would do more for his players than say a Lurie or others cut from his ilk would ever do today. So before you blast an NFL icon, who by the way has won 3 times as many Super Bowls as all of the Eagle owners combined, or the 15 division titles since the 70's, maybe you should back off and understand that everyone gets to an age when things move to quickly, but doesn't diminish the greatness of the man.

I do like Snyders attitude "Lets do what we have to do to win." Hes aggressive, sometimes too aggressive, but i think ultimately he will lead us to a ring.

Bash Snyder all you want, i do it myself sometimes, but the truth is that our team has become much better then it used to be in the early 2000's. I have confidence that Zorn will be around for the long haul and our organization will gain some stability.

You can say all you want about Davis this past decade if you want but Al Davis was one of the greatest owners of all time. He has done so many thing for the league and especially the players that have played for him that he has earned the right to have an off few years. So your blasting him tells me that you have very little idea about what this man has done for this league even when he was suing it for a variety of reasons. Most of them that have made the league back down and agree with him. Even Rozelle who did battle with Davis would have to agree that he was an inivator and helped make the league what it is today. He would do more for his players than say a Lurie or others cut from his ilk would ever do today. So before you blast an NFL icon, who by the way has won 3 times as many Super Bowls as all of the Eagle owners combined, or the 15 division titles since the 70's, maybe you should back off and understand that everyone gets to an age when things move to quickly, but doesn't diminish the greatness of the man.

Uhhh...I think you quoted the wrong guy. The dude you quoted agrees with you.

I dont understand why they dont include what owners have done for the community in these rankings as well. Football is a establishment in most communities and I think that those owners that give back should be rank higher on the list then those that do not.

Part 1 32-17

Part 2 17-1

ill let you guys figure out were they put Lurie

also its stupid how high up they put snyder, i mean redskin fans dont even like him.

You're talking about Yahoo rankings..

They know nothing. You get better opinions on these message boards then you do from those guys.

No depth? really? All teams have problem areas with free agency but the skins are not as bad as the old eagle board myth would like to make it out to be.

No young players to build around? We may not have Winston Justice waiting in the wings but don't act like the roster is the same as it was during the Spurrier years.

btw Snyder is way to high on the list :P He shouldn't be in the bottom half but he should be around 10 imo

from an unbiased and objective opinion, i truly think the Redskins may be like the Raiders back when they had Rich Gannon. Im not saying they will do what the Raiders did this year. But perhaps or possibly next year the Redskins could make a serious run for the superbowl.