Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KingJav

Caleb Campbell can't play -- wow!

"Safety Caleb Campbell will not be allowed to continue his career with the Lions because the Army has reconsidered its policy. Campbell was drafted this year in the seventh round by the Lions out of West Point under a policy that would have allowed him to play pro sports while on active duty. But the Army has changed course. Campbell participated in minicamp but will not be allowed to participate in training camp. He may apply for release from active duty in May 2010."

I'm looking for the policy as we speak.

In other words, do NOT got to West Point if you think you have a shot in a pro sport. Even though they said they would work with you on it, should you be drafted.

Should do wonders for their football program.

"Safety Caleb Campbell will not be allowed to continue his career with the Lions because the Army has reconsidered its policy. Campbell was drafted this year in the seventh round by the Lions out of West Point under a policy that would have allowed him to play pro sports while on active duty. But the Army has changed course. Campbell participated in minicamp but will not be allowed to participate in training camp. He may apply for release from active duty in May 2010."

I'm looking for the policy as we speak.

Awesome. I am glad. The Army invested about 125K into this guys education. I paid my own way through college and went on to be a police officer, but that did not alleviate my responsibilites to the Marine Corps.

Why should the army let him be rich and other people, cops, lawyers, doctors, etc... have to hold thier responsibility. When you sign the dotted line, you have a contractual obligation.

In other words, do NOT got to West Point if you think you have a shot in a pro sport. Even though they said they would work with you on it, should you be drafted.

Should do wonders for their football program.

They will work with him in 2010, he can pay back 125K and do as he pleases.

Too bad for the kid.

That said, I don't pretend to know how or why the Military does things. To be honest, I don't need to know. Their rules are why they're very good at what they do.

Typical army just trying to be badass. I think you can buy your way out of it though.

For a seventh round draft pick?

That would figure. I guess risking his life in a pointless war is more important.

Awesome. I am glad. The Army invested about 125K into this guys education. I paid my own way through college and went on to be a police officer, but that did not alleviate my responsibilites to the Marine Corps.

Why should the army let him be rich and other people, cops, lawyers, doctors, etc... have to hold thier responsibility. When you sign the dotted line, you have a contractual obligation.

Sooo you would rather they waste that 125K education by sending him to get killed in Iraq for oil and strategic military placement?

Wow...Glad you aren't running things. Rush Limbaugh called...He wants his A hole comment back.

Sooo you would rather they waste that 125K education by sending him to get killed in Iraq for oil and strategic military placement?

Wow...Glad you aren't running things. Rush Limbaugh called...He wants his A hole comment back.

:lol: agreed.

He was given the Army's word that he could play if he was drafted and he could work as a recruiter.

The government and/or military going back on its word?!?! :o never!

The other people aren't told "Sure, you can go do your job" only to have it yanked away from them just when you're about to start.

Too bad for Campbell. The ARMY got what they wanted out of the kid in terms of publicity. Now it his turn to serve. I wouldn't be surprised to see that they need Campbell for a war in Iran.

“Officers may apply for excess leave after serving a minimum of 24 months ... for the purpose of pursuing a professional sports activity with the potential recruiting or public affairs benefits for the Department.”

I was never a guarantee. Wonder if he had something in writing from someone who matters that says his application was approved.

If he was told he could go pro when he was recruited, that's pretty ****ty. But the military does that crap all of the time, what do you expect?

This is bad, bad press for the military, though.

I hear varying things about recruitment goals (a lot of independent sources say they're down, some differ) but something like this a gonna make some kid who's choosing between one of the Academies and a small school football program think a lot less about the academic benefits of the Academies.

If you choose to attend a service academy you should do so with the mindset of completing the service commitment that is written into the contract, rather than hoping for special treatment because a pro sports team drafts you.

David Robinson was the #1 overall pick and had surefire millions and stardom coming his way. He did his 24 month commitment with the Navy, applied for release and got it.

Roger Staubach won the Heisman trophy and then went and did a tour in Vietnam before going to the NFL.

Wow.

What a baby you are :lol:

10-1 says he ends up playing football anyway, by the way.

Because it will help with recruiting on the back end.

if they allowed AT THE TIME of the draft for him to play, they CANNOT change the letter of their agreement...

like the Army needs one more soldier? a** faces! He can pay them back after one game in the NFL!