Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DragonSoul

My brief view of the NFC East

You know what's actually pretty funny? When we had that HOF coach for the last four years people were always talking him down and saying he was holding us back, and he couldn't adjust to coaching in today's game.

Yeah some people did think that. But what do YOU think?

Yeah some people did think that. But what do YOU think?

Well, since you asked haha.

Personally I wasn't on the "hate Gibbs" bandwagon that some of my fellow 'Skins fans were. I'm a much younger Skins fan (20 years old) so I didn't get get to see Gibbs 1.0, and therefore I wasn't on the "Gibbs can do no wrong" bandwagon that a lot of the older 'Skins fans were.

Imo, Gibbs did a decent job, but not an elite job. When Spurrier left, all I was thinking about was getting someone who could do a halfway decent job and basically get rid of all Spurriers' mistakes and shape us into a formidable roster, I was looking at it if our next coach turned us into a contender, then that's a plus. So when we hired Gibbs my first thought was that he should be capable of the above.

I believe Gibbs' best impact came into reshaping the roster into something formidable, a solid base if you will, and one that the next coach (In this case Zorn) can turn into a contender. That's not to say we didn't have our mistakes, but I do believe that the good players outweighed the bad ones by a decent margin.

As a head coach, well I think that was Gibbs' weak spot. He wasn't a horrible coach, but he did make mistakes as a head coach, and I do think that Jim Zorn, based on what I've seen so far, should be a better head coach in terms of game management and things like that. I like the support system built around Zorn to help him out, so to speak. Blache can take care of the defense on his own, and Zorn's main impact will be helping out Campbell and Brennan progress, in addition to his head coaching responsibilities during the game.

So no, I don't believe that Gibbs 2.0 was a complete failure, I look at it as a glass half full kinda thing. He left us with a decent roster that will keep us in most, if not all, games, and Zorn should be able to help this team take the next step, as he is younger and has a better understanding of today's style of games.

I don't think Zorn will make us into an immediate contender this year though. I think that once all the players have his offense down we will see the best play after this season, as this season should be a learning year for most of the offense. I'm not expecting to see a drop in the defense, since Greg Blache was GWilliams' main defensive assistant through his 4 year tenure here.

I dont see the Giants making the playoffs. If they only lost Strahan, that may have been correctable. But they lost Wilson, Mitchell and Torbor also. It doesnt look good for NY

Strahan i mentioned above.

Wilson i was always a big fan of, but apparently Phillips is quite better. Right now we are actually loaded with safties with KP, butler, knight & johnson, w/our 2ndry improved. I mean having Madison in Nickle or as our 3rd db is pretty good, considering he played fairly solid for us last yr as the starter.

Kawika was a solid lb once he learned the system, i believe we shall get the same thing out of clark/wilk.

Torbor was a back up.

Strahan i mentioned above.

Wilson i was always a big fan of, but apparently Phillips is quite better. Right now we are actually loaded with safties with KP, butler, knight & johnson, w/our 2ndry improved. I mean having Madison in Nickle or as our 3rd db is pretty good, considering he played fairly solid for us last yr as the starter.

Kawika was a solid lb once he learned the system, i believe we shall get the same thing out of clark/wilk.

Torbor was a back up.

This is exactly as I see it, good post.