Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShakeThatMonkey

Giants rookie WR Manningham not making progress

This is extremely unfortunate news. We all know the Giants were counting on Super Mario to inject some life into their sluggish offense and give them a shot at repeating as potential playoff contenders this year, but this news is certainly troubling for us all.

I will, regretfully, have to modify my season prediction for the Giants. I can see them potentially winning up to zero games, but I still can't fathom a team as fundimentally sound as NY losing MORE than sixteen games, so I'll go with an official prediction of 0-16.

Sigh...they still have the 2009 season to look forward to.

WR is notoriously one of the toughest positions to learn in the NFL, and when a rookie WR misses all or most of training camp the odds of him making an impact his rookie season go down significantly. Jackson was lucky that his injury wasn't too serious. Manningham's rookie season is in big trouble, and I'm curious to see how the Washington rookie WRs play this year since both have missed alot of time with injuries.

As for Jackson, the guy has made some plays but he's also made some mistakes. McNabb really seems to have confidence in him. It's ashame the special team blocking units have been so pitiful, the guy hasn't had a chance to show what he can do in that department. The special teams should scare any Eagle fan right now cause they look absolutely awful.

I do like the fact that the team is letting him get a ton of reps both with the 1st and 2nd team offense. With him and Curtis on the field at the same time, they can really stretch defenses. Preseason means nothing, but it's great to see him playing well overall instead of looking lost. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

Both the Redskins draft picks are getting ripped apart here in DC - I am sure at least one will end up on IR. Remember Billy Mc Mullen ? I think he is going to make the 53 man roster for the skins - he is out performing the two second round draft picks. Ii's tough to start bragging but DJack is looking like the best one out of the group as of this time.

This is extremely unfortunate news. We all know the Giants were counting on Super Mario to inject some life into their sluggish offense and give them a shot at repeating as potential playoff contenders this year, but this news is certainly troubling for us all.

I will, regretfully, have to modify my season prediction for the Giants. I can see them potentially winning up to zero games, but I still can't fathom a team as fundimentally sound as NY losing MORE than sixteen games, so I'll go with an official prediction of 0-16.

Sigh...they still have the 2009 season to look forward to.

:lol:

...and so it begins.

Both the Redskins draft picks are getting ripped apart here in DC - I am sure at least one will end up on IR. Remember Billy Mc Mullen ? I think he is going to make the 53 man roster for the skins - he is out performing the two second round draft picks. Ii's tough to start bragging but DJack is looking like the best one out of the group as of this time.

The only reason McMullen is outperforming them is because they have been injured and unable to play. Devin Thomas finally was able to get his feet wet against the Jets but only had 2 passes thrown his way. He will most likely play the entire game at Carolina next week and Kelly could possibly be ready for next weeks game, but the last pre-season game is more likely for him.

He wasn't beating out a professional like Toomer or an up and comer like Smith. Maybe next year, but not as a rookie. The Giants WR corps should scare you. It's deep and talented.

BTW, only a handful of teams in the NFL have two "scary" WRs. Many have none.

Oh yeah!

...and so it begins.

Trust me, old friend...I'm as shocked and disheartened as you are by these catastrophic developments.

:unsure:

The only reason McMullen is outperforming them is because they have been injured and unable to play. Devin Thomas finally was able to get his feet wet against the Jets but only had 2 passes thrown his way. He will most likely play the entire game at Carolina next week and Kelly could possibly be ready for next weeks game, but the last pre-season game is more likely for him.

don't misinterpret my comment - I've always liked McMullen - I wouldn't be surprised if he makes your 53 man roster. I think the days of Thrash running as your number 3/4 receiver are dated. McMullen would be a nice replacement.

However your local press is ripping both of your picks apart.

i think he makes the team, becomes the #1 by week 7 after plax goes down with a season ending injury, cathes 83, 1097 yards and 10 tds for the season and lights it up in the playoffs getting the giants thier 2nd super bowl victory in a row......

or they could cut him...

There's a reason every team in the NFL passed on this guy multiple times. The Giants are learning that the hard way.

Trust me, old friend...I'm as shocked and disheartened as you are by these catastrophic developments.

:unsure:

There's a reason every team in the NFL passed on this guy multiple times. The Giants are learning that the hard way.

it was a risk/reward pick..I'm content if he doesn't play one snap all year...he is a very talented player who could potentially pay huge dividends to the team in 2009 and beyond...not so much in 2008...him being active on gamedays won't be the reason why this team wins or loses in 2008...

don't misinterpret my comment - I've always liked McMullen - I wouldn't be surprised if he makes your 53 man roster. I think the days of Thrash running as your number 3/4 receiver are dated. McMullen would be a nice replacement.

Thrash is one of those guys that every roster needs. Our current guy fitting that mold is Baskett. The "do all" guys. The guy that jumps up to catch balls for the QB warming up. The guy that makes plays on special teams and begs the ST coach to get on the field on the 10th day of two-a-days. The guy that makes the game saving tackle on special teams. The guy that can step in for a week or two due to an injury and because he's so desperate to play, actually has a couple of good games and gets the proclamation of being the next Jerry Rice by the homers.

I'll be the first to chime in on the "every team passed" statement.

32 teams passed on Tom Brady at least 4 times before he got drafted. Hell, 32 teams passed on Colston 6+ times before he got drafted. The list goes on and on. It's a pretty weak argument. I don't exactly see our 3rd round pick lighting things up at DE...do you? He's got PS written all over him.

it was a risk/reward pick..I'm content if he doesn't play one snap all year...he is a very talented player who could potentially pay huge dividends to the team in 2009 and beyond...not so much in 2008...him being active on gamedays won't be the reason why this team wins or loses in 2008...

I pray you are right.

I'm disappointed they didn't come to camp in good shape but they are rookies and i knew it would take some time to adjust to the NFL. With our depth at receiver we don't really need them to make big impacts this year. I'm sure they will be playing a lot at the end of the year and hopefully they will be our fitzgerald and boldin in the future.

I'm disappointed they didn't come to camp in good shape but they are rookies and i knew it would take some time to adjust to the NFL. With our depth at receiver we don't really need them to make big impacts this year. I'm sure they will be playing a lot at the end of the year and hopefully they will be our fitzgerald and boldin in the future.

you would hope that 1 of them would step up and make an impact this year... with Moss and ARE being prone to injury, they more than likely will get an oppurtunity this year..... not a bad thing either that they start the season down on the depth chart.... the NFL season is VERY long

He wasn't beating out a professional like Toomer or an up and comer like Smith. Maybe next year, but not as a rookie. The Giants WR corps should scare you. It's deep and talented.

BTW, only a handful of teams in the NFL have two "scary" WRs. Many have none.

Exactly.... there is nothing special about Toomer, Smith, Moss or Tyree... I would hardly call the Giants rec "deep and talanted" - unless you you are only comparing them to the eagles rec :lol: and not the rest of the NFL

Silly.

Exactly.... there is nothing special about Toomer, Smith, Moss or Tyree... I would hardly call the Giants rec "deep and talanted" - unless you you are only comparing them to the eagles rec :lol: and not the rest of the NFL

We have a top flight #1

A perfect fit at #2

An up and coming #3

..and a stable of youngsters batling for the #4 & 5 spots.

Yes, deep and talented.

The Giants top three receivers are already set and have been since last year. He was coming in to battle for the 4th maybe 5th spot regardless of how camp went. We're very deep at WR. If he makes an impact the last two weeks of camp the same thing may happen to him that happened to Smith. Make the team, contribute in the second half of the season. Either way he's NOT getting cut and will be an option in the future.

Morningham won't get cut this year, but it is obvious that he is a complete bust.

Morningham won't get cut this year, but it is obvious that he is a complete bust.

I dont know if he will be a bust or not but they really just need to put him on IR and develop him more.

We have a top flight #1 >>> great but also a ticking time bomb... his ankle WILL snap or he will (over his contract or something else) count on it

A perfect fit at #2 >>> solid and 34 years old

An up and coming #3 >>> Smith drops as many as he cathes

..and a stable of youngsters batling for the #4 & 5 spots. >>> every team has the same