Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShakeThatMonkey

Giants rookie WR Manningham not making progress

Hopefully the Giants make a decision quickly on Manningham so he has time to catch on with a CFL team and begin the next phase in his career.

Hopefully the Giants make a decision quickly on Manningham so he has time to catch on with a CFL team and begin the next phase in his career.
:lol:

I got $20 that says Manningham would be our #1 by week 1 if we traded for him next Friday.

I have $20 that says you don't know what you are talking about. I won't even have to wait until Friday.

don't misinterpret my comment - I've always liked McMullen - I wouldn't be surprised if he makes your 53 man roster. I think the days of Thrash running as your number 3/4 receiver are dated. McMullen would be a nice replacement.

However your local press is ripping both of your picks apart.

I don't know if it's fair to rip any rookie at this point, but my issue with the Redskins draft was the issue I have with most of their drafts/draft pick usage. They put minimal focus on the OL and DL. They've drafted just two OL in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds since 2000. One of them (2003 3rd rounder Derrick Dockery) plays for the Bills. The other (Chad Rinehart) was a 3rd round pick this year.

As a result, you have an ancient, injury-prone OL where every starter is over 30 and several are coming back from season-ending injuries.

And in one of the strangest draft statistics you'll ever see, the Redskins haven't drafted a DL on draft day in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds since before Dan Snyder bought the team in the 1990s. The last time it happened was in 1997.

If anything, THAT last stat is what the local press should be ripping the team for.

I don't know if it's fair to rip any rookie at this point, but my issue with the Redskins draft was the issue I have with most of their drafts/draft pick usage. They put minimal focus on the OL and DL. They've drafted just two OL in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds since 2000. One of them (2003 3rd rounder Derrick Dockery) plays for the Bills. The other (Chad Rinehart) was a 3rd round pick this year.

As a result, you have an ancient, injury-prone OL where every starter is over 30 and several are coming back from season-ending injuries.

And in one of the strangest draft statistics you'll ever see, the Redskins haven't drafted a DL on draft day in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds since before Dan Snyder bought the team in the 1990s. The last time it happened was in 1997.

If anything, THAT last stat is what the local press should be ripping the team for.

I think we have been lucky in finding undrafted gems on the offensive line. Otherwise like you said, we could have no depth. I'm all for drafting linemen and i think our first draft of the Zorn era was solid. We had many needs, not just along the lines so BPA made sense for us. I think we may have hit on a good defensive end in the 7th round. Rob Jackson has 2 sacks already this pre-season.

I think we have been lucky in finding undrafted gems on the offensive line. Otherwise like you said, we could have no depth. I'm all for drafting linemen and i think our first draft of the Zorn era was solid. We had many needs, not just along the lines so BPA made sense for us. I think we may have hit on a good defensive end in the 7th round. Rob Jackson has 2 sacks already this pre-season.

I respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.

I never start judging a draft until after the guys play. I disagree with anyone calling a draft "solid" before the rookie season. And if you want to judge this draft on the earliest of returns, then things aren't looking good as the top two picks (Thomas/Kelly) can't stay on the field.

As for the BPA, that's a re-occuring theme in Washington's drafts the last decade. A lineman never seems to be the BPA when the draft slot comes up in the early rounds.

I respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.

I never start judging a draft until after the guys play. I disagree with anyone calling a draft "solid" before the rookie season. And if you want to judge this draft on the earliest of returns, then things aren't looking good as the top two picks (Thomas/Kelly) can't stay on the field.

As for the BPA, that's a re-occuring theme in Washington's drafts the last decade. A lineman never seems to be the BPA when the draft slot comes up in the early rounds.

Sorry to be nitpicky here but our top 2 picks were Thomas and Davis. I really thought we were going to pick Trevor Laws especially since before the draft Cerrato said he will be looking for a pass rushing DT but you guys took him right before our pick. Why we passed on Dre Moore from Maryland i dont know. Our 3rd round offensive lineman Chad Rhinehart has received rave reviews so far and hes played very well in pre-season. I would expect to see more linemen drafted in our next draft. We'll have to wait and see.

There's a reason every team in the NFL passed on this guy multiple times. The Giants are learning that the hard way.

Every team in the NFL knew he'd have a quad injury?

Jinkies!

Sorry to be nitpicky here but our top 2 picks were Thomas and Davis. I really thought we were going to pick Trevor Laws especially since before the draft Cerrato said he will be looking for a pass rushing DT but you guys took him right before our pick. Why we passed on Dre Moore from Maryland i dont know. Our 3rd round offensive lineman Chad Rhinehart has received rave reviews so far and hes played very well in pre-season. I would expect to see more linemen drafted in our next draft. We'll have to wait and see.

Good catch, yeah I thought Davis was the third 2nd round pick for Washington. But you got my point on that one. I actually was surprised the Eagles went DT with the Laws pick; I was convinced they were going to go OL or S with that pick. Then again, there are worse things in the world than having a solid #3 DT (should Laws be able to play well of course).

I just love the term "mental reps". They probably should IR him, what are the odds he's in good enough shape to show what he can do anyways?

He had 3 things going against him before any injuries:

1)off field issues

2)he's a rookie that came out of college considered by many to be no more then a slightly better then average NFL receiver

3)while not great,,Smith,Moss,Hixon and DJ Hall are all better or have more up side at this time.

Granted they will eventually have to replace Burress and Toomer and none of the receivers I mentioned are close to there category,but to pick one of the weaker top tier receivers in the draft last year seemed like a mistake.If you looked at the top 10-12 receivers in the draft,,Manningham had the smallest up side with the most baggage.With that said and considering the drop off in DB's after the top few and the strength at the position in the draft next year,,it would seem as though maybe they should have taken a receiver in the 2nd and the DB in later or waited until next year.This was not a good year to draft WRers and DB's after the 2nd round unless you waited into the 5-7th.The talent just wasn't there.

He had 3 things going against him before any injuries:

1)off field issues

2)he's a rookie that came out of college considered by many to be no more then a slightly better then average NFL receiver

3)while not great,,Smith,Moss,Hixon and DJ Hall are all better or have more up side at this time.

Granted they will eventually have to replace Burress and Toomer and none of the receivers I mentioned are close to there category,but to pick one of the weaker top tier receivers in the draft last year seemed like a mistake.If you looked at the top 10-12 receivers in the draft,,Manningham had the smallest up side with the most baggage.With that said and considering the drop off in DB's after the top few and the strength at the position in the draft next year,,it would seem as though maybe they should have taken a receiver in the 2nd and the DB in later or waited until next year.This was not a good year to draft WRers and DB's after the 2nd round unless you waited into the 5-7th.The talent just wasn't there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DJ Hall? Guy has done nothing. Moss? He's okay, I personally like him, but he isn't the WR Manningham is.

Manningham won't get cut. IR, maybe, but cut? No way.

I have $20 that says you don't know what you are talking about. I won't even have to wait until Friday.

I was joking Sally. Calm down. Just trying to stir up the "We need five #1 WRs" TATERS.

I was joking Sally. Calm down. Just trying to stir up the "We need five #1 WRs" TATERS.

You never know who is being sarcastic these days around here..

You never know who is being sarcastic these days around here..

Very true. It is tough to distinguish idiots from smart arses.