Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McMarc

Best fans debate

From what I've seen, Steeler fans outnumber EVERYBODY in terms of overall numbers and geography. How they aren't considered #1 on that list is beyond me. I'd put Pitt, GB, and KC ahead of you guys

Overall numbers are easy to describe. Most people in this country are from the baby boomer generation. This group also has most of the country's disposable income (in other words, they can afford to go to games). When these people were growing up, the Boys and Steelers were the dominant teams, hence their respected fans bases are the largest and will continue to be large since they infected their children.

Teams like the Packers, Giants and Skins have had consistently large fans bases. The Eagles fan base is young and on the rise due to their success early in the decade (although this growth will stop if they don't stop sucking). Other teams like KC, Seattle and Indy have enough fans to fill their stadiums each week. Then there are a bunch of bottom feeders (NFL bottom feeders still pull some pretty impressive attendance figures).

Best I don't know?, damn loyal & passionate yes. And is'nt your home games sold out until Christ comes back to earth?.

Yeah you have to get your ticket early otherwise you never get it. Yeah who else would sit in -10 weather to watch there team play?

Yeah you have to get your ticket early otherwise you never get it. Yeah who else would sit in -10 weather to watch there team play?

Bills fans,.....Polar Bear Club =Nuts and passionate

Kotite, man, Kotite.

Kotite, and Buddy "No clue about Offense" Ryan. Two terrible Head Coaches.

I think that Eagles fan are the most passionate fans in the NFL. When you guys can drop that "badazz" attitude you could be the best fan in sports.

I know I'm a pshyco. When Dallas fans are at the The Linc cheering, not only do I wanna beat them up, I wanna give their kids The People's Elbow as well. :rolleyes:

From what I've seen, Steeler fans outnumber EVERYBODY in terms of overall numbers and geography. How they aren't considered #1 on that list is beyond me. I'd put Pitt, GB, and KC ahead of you guys

Nothing surpasses Eaglism. Nothing. A lot of Steeler and Dallas fans are Bandwagoners. They disappear when the team sucks. Falcons fans are worse. New Orleans soon to follow. Their fans will be gone when they don't make the playoffs this season.

After admitting that this may be a slightly homer pick, here is where he lost me:

The loudest? I don't even know if we are top five. KC, Denver and Seattle all have us by a lot. Sure, we destroy places like San Fran in terms of crowd noise, but other stadiums are down right deafining.

(DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to be a knock our fans, just observations from some stadiums I have been to, KC not included)

1) Seattle

2) Minnesota

3) Indianapolis

4) Kansas City

5) Denver/St. Louis

I think that Eagles fan are the most passionate fans in the NFL. When you guys can drop that "badazz" attitude you could be the best fan in sports.

:lol:

Overall numbers are easy to describe. Most people in this country are from the baby boomer generation. This group also has most of the country's disposable income (in other words, they can afford to go to games). When these people were growing up, the Boys and Steelers were the dominant teams, hence their respected fans bases are the largest and will continue to be large since they infected their children.

Teams like the Packers, Giants and Skins have had consistently large fans bases. The Eagles fan base is young and on the rise due to their success early in the decade (although this growth will stop if they don't stop sucking). Other teams like KC, Seattle and Indy have enough fans to fill their stadiums each week. Then there are a bunch of bottom feeders (NFL bottom feeders still pull some pretty impressive attendance figures).

You're full of ish, BK. Eagles fans were still out in full force during the Rhodes era and before. We sucked in 05 and last year but our fans are still here.

You're full of ish, BK. Eagles fans were still out in full force during the Rhodes era and before. We sucked in 05 and last year but our fans are still here.

no way...I was able to get tickets to the HOME OPENER in Ricky Watter's 1st season in Philly (vs. Tampa) 2 HOURS BEFORE KICKOFF thru Ticketmaster...what other NFL city could I have done that?

Sorry K, the Eagles fan base was never "out in force" back in the day. Did they support their team and pack the stadium, hell yea, were they nationally recognized and as vocal as they are now, nope. The run you guys had early in the decade was very important for your franchise.

Dont agree w/some of those, like the Bills. If the bills had such loyal fans they wouldnt have to go to Toronto.

I agree. If the Bills had enough loyal fans, they would have sold out the greatest playoff game in NFL history, instead of having the game blacked out locally because the Bills-Oilers game was not sold out.

1) Seattle

2) Minnesota

3) Indianapolis

4) Kansas City

5) Denver/St. Louis

Please exclude dome teams from your list. Seattle has a loud crowd, but their stadium is built to hold in sound (the Linc, for example, does a terrible job of holding in sound) and they're known to pump artificial noise through the speakers.

Nothing surpasses Eaglism. Nothing. A lot of Steeler and Dallas fans are Bandwagoners. They disappear when the team sucks. Falcons fans are worse. New Orleans soon to follow. Their fans will be gone when they don't make the playoffs this season.

Obviously you weren't a fan of the Eagles prior to the Reid era when home games were often blacked out locally during the 70s, 80s and 90s and I literally couldn't give extra tickets away to games. The Eagles are at the top of the list when it comes to bandwagon fans, both locally and across the country.

This best fans debate always cracks me up. Teams like Green Bay, Buffalo and KC are always praised for having loyal fans. Well, what the hell else are they going to do in those respected cities? They have very few major sports teams to deter attention away from the NFL and even less to do in terms of entertainment.

They can play bingo

Sorry K, the Eagles fan base was never "out in force" back in the day. Did they support their team and pack the stadium, hell yea, were they nationally recognized and as vocal as they are now, nope. The run you guys had early in the decade was very important for your franchise.

If you will go around to different forums you will see that Eagle fans are everywhere, especially in NC, Cal etc.. And where this "The younger generation " thing came from, well, i'm 42 and there are many die hard Eagle fans in my age bracket and above.

This best fans debate always cracks me up. Teams like Green Bay, Buffalo and KC are always praised for having loyal fans. Well, what the hell else are they going to do in those respected cities? They have very few major sports teams to deter attention away from the NFL and even less to do in terms of entertainment.

100% true, but why should that detract from them being labeled most loyal?

Thats sad, because the "run" didn't include a SB win. Dude, Eagles fans have been around a long time, suffering....Didn't you see that Mark Walberg Eagle's movie, depicting the late 70's when we were a joke of an organization (pre-dating the Vermiel era)? The Eagles fans were over shadowed (DALLAS, Skins, and the NY GIANTS) because we didn't win crap in Phila.

6-9-1,3-13, 5-11 stretch - I hit every home game for 15 years from 1989-2004(started at age 3). I still fly back for a couple games a year. I suffered through Rodney, Bubby, and Doug. And Kotite, Ryan, Rhodes. And so did all the people in my section. Same faces, every game, every year(well, the faces changed at the Linc, but since getting there). We'd boo on occasion(a lot), curse(a lot), etc. But we were there. We know the game, we know the opponents, we know to shut up when the offense has the ball(amazing how few fans do). And we'll "motivate" players who aren't performing. I hear a lot about the Dawg Pound and the Black Hole(I live near Oakland, Raider fans are way overrated) - I don't think any subsection of a fan base beat the 700 level at the Vet, and I think we still have the most passionate fans in football. "Best" you can argue(we are a wee bit violent), but I think we claim that too, for how we treat our own fans(and our refusal to accept the opposition).

Please exclude dome teams from your list. Seattle has a loud crowd, but their stadium is built to hold in sound (the Linc, for example, does a terrible job of holding in sound) and they're known to pump artificial noise through the speakers.

Ah, but KC's stadium is specifically designed to hold in sound as well. I went there in '05, and I was absolutely amazed at how well it was designed acoustically. When Dante Hall got that KR TD and KC went up 24-6, that place was deafening.

Of course, the silence was nearly as deafening when the Eagles took the lead for good in that game. That was way too much fun. B-)

No way to tell who has the best fans. It's a pointless debate. Every team has fans who are knowledgeable, loud, passionate, etc. Every team also has fans who are drunken morons, frontrunners, and scumbags.

The number of tickets sold means nothing. Same with selling out games. Fans do travel to see their team on the road, and companies such as razorgator.com get their hands on tickets which may end up not being resold. Just look at the Eagles: The tickets are all soldout, but there are hundreds of tickets available on the scalper-sites.

It's even worse when people base their lists on which fans travel the most. I remember seeing what looked like thousands of Steelers fans in the crowd during a game at San Diego a few years back, and the idiot commentators kept talking about how well Steelers fans travel. I guess it never dawned on them that there may be a lot of Steelers fans who actually live in the San Diego area. I can assure you that they did not all fly out from Pittsburgh for the game.

This crap is just one more pointless thing for fans to argue about...."My team has the best fans!" "No they don't. My team has the best fans." Pretty pathetic.

I just read the comments on the ten teams that he listed. Among the pathetic statements that were made, this one stood out:

(Referring to the Raiders) "....At any rate, they are the only fans in the league that Eagles fans actually respect, so that's saying something."

I didn't know that this guy was the voice of the Eagles fan.