Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yukmouth2005

Texans sign RB Shipp

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4522

The Texans signed running back Marcel Shipp Monday morning to add depth to a backfield that has been contending with injuries. Shipp, an eight-year veteran who was released by the Arizona Cardinals in early August, practiced with the team after inking the deal at Reliant Stadium.

"Well, it’s a tough situation because first off he’s a good football player," head coach Gary Kubiak said. "He played very well in Arizona. He’s a good special teams player as well. Coming this late to a camp (is tough), but we’ll watch him on the scout team stuff he did today, assess our situation as we move forward and hopefully we can give him a chance to be competitive here before camp is over."

With Pro Bowler Ahman Green expected to be out the next two weeks with a strained groin, the team needed a veteran who could help shoulder the load with rookie Steve Slaton and sixth-year pro Chris Brown, who missed time at the beginning of training camp with back spasms.

"They are bringing another veteran on the team," Shipp said. "It's my eighth season. I'm a special teams guy, an offensive guy. I can fit in pretty much wherever they need me."

"They are bringing another veteran on the team. It's my eighth season. I'm a special teams guy, an offensive guy. I can fit in pretty much wherever they need me." - Marcel ShippShipp joined the Cardinals in 2001 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Massachusetts. Over the next two seasons, he rushed for 1,664 yards and averaged four yards per carry. Shipp had difficulty regaining his form after suffering a leg injury that forced him to miss the 2004 season. Last year, the 5-11, 224-pound running back ran for just 41 yards on 15 carries.

"It's kind of different wearing a Texans' helmet, but I'm happy to be here," Shipp said. "I want to contribute to the team and be a part of something."

The Texans made room on their roster for Shipp by placing guard Fred Weary on injured reserve. An original member of the Texans since 2002, Weary has struggled to come back from a leg injury he suffered on Dec. 2 against Tennessee. Recently, he's suffered from a hamstring issue in his right leg.

They have a bevy of runningbacks now, I wonder who makes the cut?

I see Steve Slaton and Darius Walker staying for sure, and it's probably an open competition between Chris Brown and Ahman Green at this point.

I see Steve Slaton and Darius Walker staying for sure, and it's probably an open competition between Chris Brown and Ahman Green at this point.

Did'nt know they had him?

Dang they're loading up on the running backs!

Looking back at the situation they were in last year, I'd sign as many RBs as I could too if I were Gary Kubiak.

This isn't a bad signing though, assuming he makes it to the 53 man roster.

I didn't like Shipp in NFL 2K5. That's all I know about him.

I like the Texans. Right now is a good time to get on their bandwagon. I was really happy that Steve Slaton got drafted by them at least, if not the Eagles. (:P ) I hope they can start rolling out 1000 yard rushers like Denver has been doing.

Slaton is starting next week, too!

Tim Hightower looks like a player for the Cards. He's the back-up right now, and with an inevitable Edge injury, could get quite a bit of starting experience this year. Should be interesting.

Tim Hightower looks like a player for the Cards. He's the back-up right now, and with an inevitable Edge injury, could get quite a bit of starting experience this year. Should be interesting.

Hightower's a small school player, it's always nice to see them prosper.

Walker is a fan favorite and made some big plays last year when given the opportuntiy. I don't see them getting rid of Green due to the salary cap hit they would take, but from the talk on the message boards it seems the general concensus is that Brown will get his walking papers.

I'm rather partial to Slaton from a fantasy football perspective. i drafted him in my rookie draft so this would probably explain with i'm hanging around the Texans MB. Why the hell else would anybody wanna be around there?

I was confused when they signed Chris Brown, it didn't seem like a good fit at the time and it doesn't seem like a good fit now. He just seemed to have slowed down from his injuries too much.

I'm rather partial to Slaton from a fantasy football perspective. i drafted him in my rookie draft so this would probably explain with i'm hanging around the Texans MB. Why the hell else would anybody wanna be around there?

Yeah, it's not very active; I lurked on there for a while. Now all my forum time is eaten up here.