Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USFL Stars

Gene Upshaw- Dead At 63

Not a word of this on any major sporting sites. News such as this would have NFL.com and ESPN's entire front page devoted to it.

I'd say this news is inaccurate at this stage.

Not a word of this on any major sporting sites. News such as this would have NFL.com and ESPN's entire front page devoted to it.

Popping up on more and more sites. Looks legit.

Sadly.

NFL & ESPN are not end all in sports reporting

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26326065/

NFL must be freakin' 'bout who his replacement will be--perhaps someone not as closely tied to hip as Upshaw was with management through years.

Someone poisoned his food...

Time for Dawk to step up as head of the NFLPA (after retirement, of course)

RIP

Guess you dont pay attention its gonna be Vincent

Does this leave Clark Gaines as the head of the NFLPA for the balance of time until a successor is found? I thought he was named Assistant Executive Director after Vincent failed to land the position.

What a shame...poor guy died from complications of pancreatic cancer.

and he was a tremendous player - people just think about the union thing - they all forget what a monster player he really was.

It is a shame, sad.

According to the nflpa.org, "Gene learned he was sick just this past Sunday and he died with his family at his side."

Cancer sucks.

As much as that sucks and I hate to hear that anyone passes, this guy was a pain to deal with. He screwed over alot of former NFL players and is doing alot of things to crap on the future of this league.

R.I.P. GU

As much as that sucks and I hate to hear that anyone passes, this guy was a pain to deal with. He screwed over alot of former NFL players and is doing alot of things to crap on the future of this league.

R.I.P. GU

True, but who benefitted from all of those perceived negatives? Active players, the people who hired him. If people think they get too much ... then he did his job well.

He was a great football player and he seemed like a pretty good guy from what I saw. Best wishes to his friends, family, and former teammates and coaches.