Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USFL Stars

Gene Upshaw- Dead At 63

According to multiple reports, Pro Football Hall of Fame offensive lineman Gene Upshaw has died at the age of 63. Upshaw, the Executive Director of the NFL Players association, had been battling pancreatic cancer.

He played from 1967 through 1981, was an 11-time All-Pro and won two Super Bowls with the Raiders.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

not sad at all..dude was a Fing D and wouldn't give up his position to someone who has more sense in there head and not senile like troy vincent or kevin mawae would be a way better rep...

so it's about damn time he croaked

not sad at all..dude was a Fing D and wouldn't give up his position to someone who has more sense in there head and not senile like troy vincent or kevin mawae would be a way better rep...

so it's about damn time he croaked

slap1.gifToo bad that is not you hangin in your avatar. lol

sucks for him, at least it came quick. cancer usually eats away at you for a long time.

Would be good to see Troy Vincent as the new executive director, I think he'd have better perspective and actually push for benefits for retired players.

great player, bless his family...not well like as NFLPA head.

Discuss...

McWoody

It means his funeral will be on Monday.

There was a lot of infighting within the Union. I'll go on a limb and say it will actually help things move along. I felt there was a bit of an old boys club within lead by Gene and now the landscape will change drastically.

I think the Union NFLPA will have a more unified voice which will probably lead to better CBA negotiations.

I don't want to discredit what he's done for the NFL and their many players. I just felt that the NFLPA seemed to be struggling with itself for the past 2 years and Gene's name always seemed to come up.

The flip side is that there will be a massive power struggle within the NFLPA.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the NFLPA will be better off without Upshaw. Not having a unified voice on the verge of CBA negotiations is just what the owners wanted.